I have an odd question....

Options
Do any of your ears pop while exercising? My left ear will pop and sound really hollow for a bit while I'm exercising hard. I was doing a little self-diagnosing and found "exercise-induced eustachian tube disorder." Have any of you heard of this/experienced this? I'm pretty sure there is nothing I can do to improve it :noway:

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I have never even heard of it. Good luck with getting more info... Is there a cure?
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Do any of your ears pop while exercising? My left ear will pop and sound really hollow for a bit while I'm exercising hard. I was doing a little self-diagnosing and found "exercise-induced eustachian tube disorder." Have any of you heard of this/experienced this? I'm pretty sure there is nothing I can do to improve it :noway:

Mine have been popping while running-- have to check this out-- it's annoying as heck!!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    mine get cold and painful, like in the wintertime...weird! :noway:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I have never even heard of it. Good luck with getting more info... Is there a cure?

I never heard of that either. The only thing I notice is it feels like my fingers swell up when I exercise :laugh:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I don't get that but when I push myself, my teeth tingle and, if I push myself really hard, I get a metallic taste in my mouth. I try not to get to that point because it can't be good. Does any one get the tingling teeth?
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    When I get out of breath my ears both do it- you can kind of hear the inside of your head instead of just what's going on around you? I hear my breath and have to take my earphones out. I always thought it was related to my tmj but as far as I can tell it poses no real problem other than being annoying at times... Let me know if you find out anything more conclusive. Now you've got me worried that this might be dangerous :frown:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Oh it's not dangerous at all. You know when little kids have to get tubes put in their ears? That's what it's like for people exercising. The eustachian tube inside your ear can malfunction because of increased blood flow to the area, but it's not bad, just extremely annoying. I did some digging and found that it can mean that you're dehydrated, but I always drink 1 L water while exercising. If anyone has any tips for getting rid of it or helping it, lemme know!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Options
    I don't get that but when I push myself, my teeth tingle and, if I push myself really hard, I get a metallic taste in my mouth. I try not to get to that point because it can't be good. Does any one get the tingling teeth?

I've had the metallic taste in my mouth a couple times. Never figured out what caused it since it only happened maybe four times at the most, but it seemed like drinking water only made the metallic taste stronger.

Weird. :indifferent:
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I never heard of that either. The only thing I notice is it feels like my fingers swell up when I exercise :laugh:

Mine too and they start to tingle!! It is sooo annoying and I have to put my hands above my head for a few minutes to get it to go away.
  • emiliabeth
    emiliabeth Posts: 40
    Options
    Yeah, my ears pop when I work out, usually only when I'm doing cardio stuff.

Another thing is that my stomach makes REALLY loud gurgling sounds when I do ab work - it's crazy, it sounds like something is trying to bust outta my stomach... WTF??
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    The metallic taste is actually kind of worrying...does it taste like blood at all?
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options

Mine too and they start to tingle!! It is sooo annoying and I have to put my hands above my head for a few minutes to get it to go away.

Yep...my fingers do the same thing....
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Options
    Yeah, my ears pop when I work out, usually only when I'm doing cardio stuff.

Another thing is that my stomach makes REALLY loud gurgling sounds when I do ab work - it's crazy, it sounds like something is trying to bust outta my stomach... WTF??

Maybe thats the sound of the fat melting away? :laugh:

Oh and glad I'm not the only one with the swelling fingers.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I've been having a bit of the opposite, I can't get my right ear to pop. It often feels like there is water in it, or its clogged, but the doctor said it looks fine. I'm going to have to go check out the eustachian tube. Thanks for posting this! Maybe I have an answer! :smile:
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think the tingling in your teeth is caused by lactic acid. I always get that when I run or work hard, and I always had that as an athlete. My coaches said it was lactic acid...but who knows if they are right :)
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options

Nothing weird to report here, although "Tingling Teeth" would be an AWESOME name for a band :smile:

Jeff @ YEG
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    The metallic taste is actually kind of worrying...does it taste like blood at all?

Kind of. That's why I try to avoid pushing myself that hard and when I do I stop because I don't think it can be good juju.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    I think the tingling in your teeth is caused by lactic acid. I always get that when I run or work hard, and I always had that as an athlete. My coaches said it was lactic acid...but who knows if they are right :)

Thanks! I always wondered what that was.