Protein and Constipation?

Options
Okay, so uncomfortable question I'm putting out there!?!?!?! I've recently really been trying to go over on my protein each day, and I've noticed that I'm starting to experience a problem along with that.

Anyone else have a problem going to the bathroom when they're consuming higher amounts of protein? What do you do to prevent it?

Replies

• rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I take psyllium husk fiber (Metamucil, for example), and it works like a charm. I prefer the pills to the powder.
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's why I can't be on a low carb Atkins type diet. I was able to do the Atkins diet years ago and loved it but I can't do it now. Hopefully, other people will have some advice for this problem because I'd love to be able to eat less carbs.
  • diannsfaith
    diannsfaith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, been there - done that. Lost the weight but couldn't stand the what it was doing to my digestive system. But try the Metamucil, that should work. And never give up - never surrender!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the protein. It's more likely the reduction in fiber and/or fat. Make sure your diet contains lots of fiber (found naturally in whole grains, vegetables, and fruit). Don't restrict your fat too much. Some fats are very healthy.
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It seems there is nothing I can do to prevent it, but a cup of "Smooth Move" tea will cure it!

At least for a few days....

Then its time for another cup of tea!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm not the only one! Good. :laugh:
    I have really upped my protein and have protein shakes. I couldn't figure out why my "small problem" that I have been known to have was coming back. Maybe that is it....... I eat at least 25 grams of fiber a day... at the very least.

I got that smooth move tea too the other day. I was a wimp and just steeped it for 5 minutes and drank half of a glass. After reading a few mixed reviews. BUT (no pun intended) :laugh: I think I'll try tonight, since tomorrow is Saturday and I don't need to be anywhere. (Just in case) It worked, just very mildly.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Loads of fruit, vegetables, nuts and high fiber foods, and also water and exercise keeps me pretty regular despite eating a LOT of protein.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the protein. It's more likely the reduction in fiber and/or fat. Make sure your diet contains lots of fiber (found naturally in whole grains, vegetables, and fruit). Don't restrict your fat too much. Some fats are very healthy.
    Hmmmm... I haven't been actively trying to restrict my fats, but maybe I'm not getting enough in. I eat peanut butter and avocados every day (mmmmm).
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on the Smooth Move tea! I've actually read about it before, and had thought about picking some up this evening.

Anyone know if constipation can have an effect on your weight? I'm actually up about 3 lbs more than normal.
  • sjackson1717
    sjackson1717 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have run into this problem as well. I wasn't sure if it was the protein or the wheat sandwich thins or wheat pita I was eating. I solved my 3lb problem with Ducolax. I dropped the breads for now and upped my fiber. Everything is going smoothly now but I plan to slowly work the sandwhich thins in a few times a week.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking protein shakes, then mow about mixing some psyllium husks or ground flaxseed in with the shake? Berries are also very high in protein, and you could blend those into a shake for something that tastes awesome instead of pasty. Personally, I don't get too much protein, and do get tons of fibre, but still have problems due to a genetic condition that causes low motility, which also means that if I take psyllium, it will set to concrete in my intestines and cause worse problems. Uggh.

Other options, though, are aloe, senna, rhubarb, cherries (because of the sorbitol), berries (high protein), oils. Magnesium can also make a big difference.

Pay attention to your monthly cycle. Generally, motility will slow down after ovulation, and it may be that if you take something for the few days after ovulation, you can keep it from getting too bad.

Food intolerances can also increase constipation problems. I don't know whether you have any or not.

Physical exercise can help sometimes, especially running.

If it was me, I'd be careful of a diet that caused me increased digestive issues. Remember that your comfort level isn't the only thing that it affects. It can give you migraines and affect your mood, slow motility causes estrogen reabsorption, which can contribute to breast cancer, it can cause problems with stretching your bowels and making it difficult to sense when you need to void, etc. Obviously it can affect your weight if you are retaining a lot of extra waste in your system. No to mention impaction, hemorrhoids, tears, or blockages. Not nice.

Pam
  • tenax
    tenax Posts: 97
    Options
    lots of water is key when adding a high dose of protein to your diet. first, to help avoid constipation..and more importantly, there's a reason why a protein diet (all protein , very high protein) diet long term is dangerous. your kidneys need help help processing the additional protein so take plenty of liquids. i only take protein powders in the morning. i mix mine in a 24 ounce of bottle so i'm forced to drink a bunch of water with it (i hate water, struggle to drink it)..then i make sure all morning i drink plenty of water. then even in the afternoon/evening if i'm slack on water, i have no problems digesting and dealing with the protein:)
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I always recommend sunsweet ones to my patients. They are individually wrapped and work beautifully. Bonus - they are yummy. Word of advice, if you eat more than 4 in one day, I would stay at home! LOL!!!

http://sunsweet.com/products/ones.html
  • orchidsand
    Options
    Anatomy & Physiology 101.
    The reason a person gets constipated is the bowel slows down (not enough fiber for bulk to move it along). The longer the contents stay in the bowel the more opportunity for the fluid to be absorbed out of it, so the stool dries out too much (need more water)......and yes, there is weight to the stool. Sometime weigh yourself before, then after. You may see as much as a pound less. Recommendation is the same as everyones has given......increase the fiber with grains, nuts, fresh fruit & berries, drink more water and exercise...when the body moves, it gets the colon moving. Also drinking something warm like herbal tea (avoid peppermind as it calms the colon & you want it to get moving). Caffiene stimulates the colon, so if you can drink coffee give that a try. Be careful if using the dieters or smooth go teas. It is not an exact science and it is easy to get it just a little too strong and it can cause cramping. Another thing that helps the colon move along are hot peppers such as jalepinos or cherry peppers. One hot pepper a day will keep things running like a top. Be very watchful because constipation can cause lots of issues. In my years of medical experience, I have seen it where things stop and clog up like a plugged drain, & that can be dangerous with lots of issues you do not want to deal with.
  • Anisima
    Options
    My cousin with similar problems told me that he found on http://constipationtreatments.info/ the help for his problems.I heard the tips from here are very goo to combat constipation problems.
    I hope this helps.
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Try adding some dried apricots as a daily snack, or in oatmeal. They are so effective, we call them "craperkots" in my house :).
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

This. Your mom was right - eat your vegetables and drink plenty of water. Why take a fiber pill when you can get it naturally with lots of vitamins and minerals to boot!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you're eating low carbs, then maybe you don't want to eat beans, but I've found that black beans (high in carbs AND protein AND fiber) really help a lot.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I am eating paleo, which is high protein, high fat, and I am having the same problem. I eat a ton of veggies and fruits, so I know it's not a fiber issue. I read at some places it could be low magnesium, so I am trying a suggested supplement called Natural Calm. I'll let you know if it works. :P
  • sco8462
    Options
    I'm working with PWLC, which is tons of protein. Yeah, I'm losing weight, but boy am I having a challenge with constipation. I have found that a sendokot (sp?) or two at bedtime and a cup of coffee in the morning helps me when it occurs. I also upped my water and decreased my iron and that generally keeps it from being a constant problem.