Immobility, can I still drop lbs?!

Options
Hi there! I'm a recent new mom, my daughter is 7 months now, and I'm getting back into the swing of things.
I gained about 45 pounds during pregnancy and have only dropped 20. I also want to get to my ideal weight which would add another 10 pounds to drop. So 30 lbs.
I have a physical ailment from childbirth which is preventing me from being active. I used to run 2-5K a day, played competitive soccer, and was active within my community. I'm having such a hard time with being perscribed to be sedentary, but with weekly physio I may be able to regain somewhat normalcy- but I will never be like I used to be.

So, from here on out I have to be more controlled with my eating because that's the only way I can see a glimmer of hope.
I would love to make some contacts for mutual motivation and to keep me on my NEW path to success and recovery.

Thanks new friends, see you on the track to success!

Replies

• Jamie320
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your circumstances. I also have a 7 month old girl and I can't imagine being in your position. Are you BF? That of course will allow weight if you're still doing that. What exactly are your restrictions? Can you do things with your arms if they don't affect the abdomen too much?
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Of course you can still drop pounds! The Laws of Physics still apply:

To lose weight, you must burn more calories than you take in. Period.

I have a friend that's a quadriplegic, she used to be a runner. We talk weight loss all the time, but it's far easier for me--- not because I can exercise, but because I can log everything I eat. She has more difficulty logging her food, but she has still managed to lose weight. Unfortunately she's not on MFP.
    Good luck on your recovery and path to wellness!
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    certainly, you can. I have a lot of physical issues as well, and I am learning to do what I CAN, and not compare myself to others, regarding how they can work out, or the progress they can make. Little bits here and there are what I can do, and it is already helping. Feel free to friend me, if you like.
  • Choccymonster
    Options
    Hi there, I'm a mum of a 4 year old & a 19 month old. I've had really bad chest pain since November. Just been diagnosed with Costochondritis where the cartilige attaching the ribs to the sternum become inflamed. It affects the nerves of the chest which means I get pain in my arms, neck & shoulders too. Doc says it may go away in time but could become chronic. I was in a roller derby team that I've had to give up. I too have been worried about exercise again as I did a 20 min zumba class the other day just to see if I'd be alright. The pain was incredible. I've been walking a lot last few days & have still managed to lose 4lb in my first week. I'm just gonna keep to that with the odd skate around with my daughter. May take longer to lose the weight but at least I'll be doing it reasonably pain free. Do what feels right for you & take it slow. It'll come off eventually.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yup, a calorie deficit will still cause you to lose pounds without any exercise. I did it the first couple of months I was on here and later on when I had some health issues that sidelined me. I'll send you a friend request so I can learn more about your situation to see if there is any kind of exercise you can do though!!
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey there, ouch it sucks not being able to work out. I have suffered couple of injuries, been through surgery, and still on recovery. It will be a while before I can go back to training full speed. I of course have to monitor my diet that much more. I do intermittent fasting. Is the only thing that keeps me in track. Have not gained weight at all - and I used to work out 5-6 times a week.
    GL
  • mary127
    mary127 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi Meg, there are so many supportive people here, you've come to the right place! I'm sure you will reach your goals. Through my son I have been around many wheelchair athletes and have seen how in shape they have become, and not knowing what your limitations are I can just say I believe there is a way for anyone to lose weight and lead a healthy lifestyle. Sending you a friend request now....

:flowerforyou:
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    yup, you sure can...you just have to diet - which means full-blown calorie counting. No pasta, no rice, no cookies..get lots of deli cuts, they are so low in calories...keep a refilled bottle of water in the fridge all the time....lots and lots of veggies and fruit......(hope I don't sound like a broken record) And since you are already here on MFP then you will!

Don't be hard on yourself, be patient and it you're dedicated - and a bit strict, the weight will fall off. Once you are up and at 'em and back into the exercise, you are really going to get fit :):bigsmile:
  • lala4u
    lala4u Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hey well im physically handicap. i was born with cerebral palsy and its very hard for my to exercise and lose weight so i have to do wat i can and watch wat i eat now. i manage to lose 91 lbs in 4 1/2 months. i just watch wat i eat and move to get my heart rate up and sweat and drink plenty of water. you can add me if you want ok. good luck
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    hey well im physically handicap. i was born with cerebral palsy and its very hard for my to exercise and lose weight so i have to do wat i can and watch wat i eat now. i manage to lose 91 lbs in 4 1/2 months. i just watch wat i eat and move to get my heart rate up and sweat and drink plenty of water. you can add me if you want ok. good luck

Thanks for sharing your story.... :D
  • meghuffman
    meghuffman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you for the support!
    I am still breastfeeding and dieting does affect my supply, but I'm willing to do after.
    Right now I will take your thoughts and apply all that I can! Healthy eating and making an effort.

I really appreciate your sharing and I feel very hopeful now. Just got to heep this going!
    Thanks!