i think i have binge eating disorder! anyone else?

Options
my binges are horrible!
today i had 3 large cookies (the ones you get at a bakery)
2 kit kat chunkies
3 flapjacks
6 slices of toast with butter/peanut butter/jam
a share pack of milk chocolate buttons

all in the space of 4 hours! feel horrible now!
just had to let it out so i would get it off my chest. I've been good and lost 6 pounds so far in my first month but now it just seems like ive thrown it all away!

sorry for the mini rant

Replies

• tunktunk5583
    tunktunk5583 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    my binges are horrible!
    2 kit kat chunkies
    3 flapjacks

just had to let it out so i would get it off my chest. I've been good and lost 6 pounds so far in my first month but now it just seems like ive thrown it all away!

sorry for the mini rant

yea but you work out like a beast! plus, everyone has their days :)
  • donnaflakes
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself...you say you've lost 6 lbs. Maybe you were being too restrictive and thats what triggered your "binge" today. Try and allow yourself to enjoy a bit of a treat every day so that you won't be compelled to over do it when temptation strikes.
  • jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i guess, thanks. just feel awful now that its done and im finally full and all those calories are in my body.
    will have a fresh start from tomorrow.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Try not to beat yourself up. I too have occasional binges - usually on carbs. I work out quite a bit, scale isn't moving but the inches are, so I guess a shock to the body every once in a blue moon won't kill us...we all have days like this!:flowerforyou:
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I used to do this about twice a month. I always felt so guilty/ashamed/gross :cry: I think the fact that I hated myself when I was done eating just started the cycle for the next binge. Try to learn to let go and accept that some days you're HUNGRY and that you may not always make perfect choices.

The biggest thing that helped me is eating more throughout the day. I used to only have a small breakfast and small restricted lunch, so by the time I got home I was ravenous. That led to poor choices :embarassed: Now when I feel that "bottomless pit" feeling, I chug a lot of water, and then allow myself to have a reasonable snack. I literally tell myself, "if I'm still hungry in 15 minutes I can have another snack". Frequently I end up eating 2-3 snacks before I'm satisfied, but man is it a lot less damage than I used to do. (Also I don't hate myself when I'm done - which is HUGE)
  • Mirimuffin
    Mirimuffin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    my binges are horrible!
    2 kit kat chunkies
    3 flapjacks

sorry for the mini rant

Trust me, that's NOTHING. I used to eat 1kg Nutella with a spoon within 10 minutes, down a few 100g chocolate bars, then a few packs of cookies and so on. Please don't say you have an ED when obviously you don't...

Just drink water and go to the gym.
  • jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    my binges are horrible!
    2 kit kat chunkies
    3 flapjacks

sorry for the mini rant

Trust me, that's NOTHING. I used to eat 1kg Nutella with a spoon within 10 minutes, down a few 100g chocolate bars, then a few packs of cookies and so on. Please don't say you have an ED when obviously you don't...

ive had much worse than this, but this is the first biggish one in a while. its dissapointing because i was doing so well
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    my binges are horrible!
    2 kit kat chunkies
    3 flapjacks

sorry for the mini rant

Oh my goodness, you really don't know her and she may have an eating disorder. To the OP. I HATE when I do this, it really makes you feel so bad about yourself after...kinda like you failed..at least for me it does. I feel like everyone else does. Try and remember that bad days will happen but if you forgive yourself and work to do the best you can thats all anyone can ask for :)
  • jay29599
    Options
    don't be that harsh on you, you've done great so far just cos you had a bum day don't feel bad :happy:
  • cnhanson
    Options
    my binges are horrible!
    2 kit kat chunkies
    3 flapjacks

sorry for the mini rant

ive had much worse than this, but this is the first biggish one in a while. its dissapointing because i was doing so well

When someone reports something they are struggling with and you tell them their problem is "NOTHING" that's pretty rude. You don't know about her life, how long this has been a problem for her and what she has done to try to control it. Since you say she obviously doesn't have an eating disorder I assume you must be a doctor? Because otherwise your opinion is unfounded.

If you feel you have an eating disorder you might want to seek out the help of a doctor, therapist or nutritionist to help sort out your feelings. I don't like it when people normalize damaging behaviour. I see lots of posts by people saying, oh I've done this it's no big deal. I for one have not done this, a binge for me (when I had cancer and was pretty depressed) still consisted of like a cupcake, OR some chips and dip. That's my normal. If you feel what you are doing is a problem for you get it checked out.
  • jillmsweeneytaylor
    Options
    ....tomorrow is a brand new day!!! Start from there and don't beat yourself up, we all have to splurge once in awhile. :) You are still doing awesome!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: ...I don't call it BINGE eating :noway: :noway: :noway: ...it's re-fueling for me! :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I used to do this about twice a month. I always felt so guilty/ashamed/gross :cry: I think the fact that I hated myself when I was done eating just started the cycle for the next binge. Try to learn to let go and accept that some days you're HUNGRY and that you may not always make perfect choices.

The biggest thing that helped me is eating more throughout the day. I used to only have a small breakfast and small restricted lunch, so by the time I got home I was ravenous. That led to poor choices :embarassed: Now when I feel that "bottomless pit" feeling, I chug a lot of water, and then allow myself to have a reasonable snack. I literally tell myself, "if I'm still hungry in 15 minutes I can have another snack". Frequently I end up eating 2-3 snacks before I'm satisfied, but man is it a lot less damage than I used to do. (Also I don't hate myself when I'm done - which is HUGE)

Great advice! Thanks
  • down_ell_beez
    down_ell_beez Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have the same problem. I just ate 6 pieces of pizza ... YES 6 ... for lunch. All of them covered in ranch. But today was the 1 day a week I allow myself to eat out for lunch.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself...you say you've lost 6 lbs. Maybe you were being too restrictive and thats what triggered your "binge" today. Try and allow yourself to enjoy a bit of a treat every day so that you won't be compelled to over do it when temptation strikes.

Agreed!
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    At one point I was convinced I was addicted to food... Than I got sick from fast food and decided to cut it out for 30 days.. Well im on day 3 and its freaking hard!! I dont have a sweet tooth but my binges are like french fries, a burger, some chips and on and on.. One thing I noticed is that I binge when im to restrictive on myself. I just started low carbing and I noticed if I dont budget in a bag of chips or a tray of fries every now and than I will go carb crazy and start eating every damn thing I see!! Hang in there the most important thing to remember is that tom. is a new day, you dont have to keep going

If you feel like you may have a eating disorder you may want to disucss it with a doctor or counselor because it may be something you cant control.

Hugz :flowerforyou:
  • Mirimuffin
    Mirimuffin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    my binges are horrible!
    2 kit kat chunkies
    3 flapjacks

sorry for the mini rant

When someone reports something they are struggling with and you tell them their problem is "NOTHING" that's pretty rude. You don't know about her life, how long this has been a problem for her and what she has done to try to control it. Since you say she obviously doesn't have an eating disorder I assume you must be a doctor? Because otherwise your opinion is unfounded.

I've actually had binge eating disorder for about 5 years and I've been seeing doctors, therapists and so on. I know very well how it feels to be in such a position. That's why I hate when people cry after eating a bit more and immediatly jump to the conclusion of having an ED.... (because it's so much easier to blame it on that. yeah). However anybody is more than welcome to talk to me about it and how I stopped the binging.
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If this is how you eat more than 4 times a week I'd be concerned that you have disordered eating..but a binge eating disorder? Oh no....Binge eaters consume huge quantities of food. Far more than what you are consuming. Not to worry-it sounds like perhaps you've just had a bad day, or have been overworked to the point where your body was craving fast carbs?

The best thing you can do for yourself is to be kind to yourself. Realize you have the rest of the day to make healthy choices-avoid thinking in black and white.

For help with disordered eating, please read Geneen Roth's Women Food and God. I think it might help you a lot! (It is not a religious book!)
  • harrietk94
    harrietk94 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have that disorder too!
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    4 hours? I think you did well. I do that in half hour. ****ty.....