Cancer fighting recipes please!

Options
SunLove8
SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
Hi! I think my original post may have gotten lost in translation so I wanted to repost in case someone may have some ideas.

I was hoping some of you have some healthy recipes that will help my friend feel better. I want to bring over a few dishes this weekend to her and was hoping I could get some ideas. Her stomach is upset a lot of the time from chemo so I'm not sure what to make. Ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• lisaslim1976
    Options
    I dont know if this will help, but when my dad was very ill with bowel cancer he used to like tomato soup with mashed potato in it. x
  • cnhanson
    Options
    Oh what a lovely idea! When I was in Chemo last year for breast cancer I was so happy when someone brought food over. Even if I didn't like it at least my husband and Mom could eat and I didn't have to worry about them. At that point because I was so sick I really really liked plain dishes and might only eat a few bites at a time. It depends where they are in their treatment cycle what they can handle (in my experience).

I liked really easy things like rice (white even, I never eat white rice) with some peas and carrots in it. Maybe chicken breasts on top? I also liked bland pastas and lightly creamy sauces (tomato cream), nachos for some odd reason lol! I liked it when someone made soup, (chicken noodle, leave the noodles separate). Remember that people in chemo sometimes get mouth sores and are sensitive to tastes and smells. So even if it might seem really bland to you leave out the peppers and stuff until you know if she's sensitive. I liked soft things like smoothies. If she has a blender you could prepackage some smoothies (bananas work awesome)for her so all she has to do is dump it in the blender and add water or juice or milk.

It's really great that you are doing this for her. Sometimes I would be exhausted, sitting on the couch after chemo and thinking. I have no idea what we are having for dinner...then I'd eat a cupcake or whatever was handy. Hence the reason I'm on here trying to lose the chemo steroid weight!
  • Ian214
    Ian214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    fruit
  • SunLove8
    Options
    I dont know if this will help, but when my dad was very ill with bowel cancer he used to like tomato soup with mashed potato in it. x

Thank you! Hope your dad is doing better xo
  • SunLove8
    Options
    Oh what a lovely idea! When I was in Chemo last year for breast cancer I was so happy when someone brought food over. Even if I didn't like it at least my husband and Mom could eat and I didn't have to worry about them. At that point because I was so sick I really really liked plain dishes and might only eat a few bites at a time. It depends where they are in their treatment cycle what they can handle (in my experience).

I liked really easy things like rice (white even, I never eat white rice) with some peas and carrots in it. Maybe chicken breasts on top? I also liked bland pastas and lightly creamy sauces (tomato cream), nachos for some odd reason lol! I liked it when someone made soup, (chicken noodle, leave the noodles separate). Remember that people in chemo sometimes get mouth sores and are sensitive to tastes and smells. So even if it might seem really bland to you leave out the peppers and stuff until you know if she's sensitive. I liked soft things like smoothies. If she has a blender you could prepackage some smoothies (bananas work awesome)for her so all she has to do is dump it in the blender and add water or juice or milk.

It's really great that you are doing this for her. Sometimes I would be exhausted, sitting on the couch after chemo and thinking. I have no idea what we are having for dinner...then I'd eat a cupcake or whatever was handy. Hence the reason I'm on here trying to lose the chemo steroid weight!

I hope that you are doing better and have been able to kick cancer in the *kitten*! Thank you so much for all your ideas and advices, that really helps A LOT!! I really hope that you are doing better :flowerforyou:
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I agree, be very careful on the seasonings you add. Strong smells and tastes are hard. Fruit smoothies, mashed potatoes, and soups were my mom's favorites. Just make really small portions if she doesn't have others to help eat it. It seems to be discouraging when someone fixes a plate and they just can't eat it all. My mom would feel bad that she coldn't eat what I fixed so I had to learn to think small.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Load up on tomatoes and blueberries, but preferably in some easy-to-digest meals.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't have any recommendations for your friend's current condition. However, I would strongly recommend Kris Carr's recipes for long-term health. She was diagnosed with a rare stage 4 cancer and managed to turn her life and health around through diet! Her kitchen is literally a pharmacy, the right foods can heal the body and actually reverse cancer.

She has two books: Crazy Sexy Diet and Crazy Sexy Cancer, as well as a website (I'm not sure what it is but if you google it you'll hit it). She has some great recipes on her website, maybe something from there will make your friend feel better? It's mostly fruit and veggie based stuff - good for you kind of food :) Her story is really inspiring even if you don't care much for the type of foods she promotes. Maybe it could help your friend....mentally, spiritually, etc. You don't have to get the book either, most of the info is available on her site.

I hope your friend gets better!! And you're awesome for taking such good care of her! :flowerforyou: