Chalean Extreme VS Jillian Michaels ?

Options
I found someone on CL selling a new Chalean Extreme for $40. I have been doing JM 30 day shred and was going to move to Ripped in 30. I am curious of those who have done Chalean and Jillian if you feel it is worth putting out the $40 (plus I would need to buy heavier weights) for the Chalean or just stick with Jillian?

I am at goal weight so really looking to tighten and firm up, especially my abs, butt and thighs. I also run 3x a week as I am training for my second half marathon in April.

Opinions?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have never done a jillian workout because whe looks mean on tv. Chalene has an upbeat attitude, which is important to me at this stage. The chalean workouts are absolutely worth it, but I don't know how the two compare.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've done CE and 30DS and I much prefer CE. I don't care for Jillian's style much but I love Chalene. She's so upbeat and fun but not in an annoying way. I saw great results too, my arms and legs were firm and I could see muscle. I just bought resistance bands ($15 or 20 at Target for 3 you could clip together) and they worked fine but I'm sure the weights would be better if you have the $. $40 for CE is a great deal. She has a 27 min. cardio drill workout in there too that I use a lot.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've done CE and 30DS and I much prefer CE. I don't care for Jillian's style much but I love Chalene. She's so upbeat and fun but not in an annoying way. I saw great results too, my arms and legs were firm and I could see muscle. I just bought resistance bands ($15 or 20 at Target for 3 you could clip together) and they worked fine but I'm sure the weights would be better if you have the $. $40 for CE is a great deal. She has a 27 min. cardio drill workout in there too that I use a lot.

Thanks, how long are the other dvd's in the workout plan and is it a program they advise you do everyday?
  • qtpie99
    qtpie99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this question because I was wondering the same thing. I have Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and was thinking of getting Turbofire but was wondering if I should spend the money or not.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Had MUCH better results with Chalene Extreme, and free weights - vs Jullian 30 DS. (even using heavy weights with Jullian)

Can't comment on ripped - never used it.

Chalene is better set up for true resistance training with Heavy weights - low reps.

Also more then one DVD, so Way less boredom factor. Chalene is much better at teaching your correct form, easier to listen to, and "nicer" and more up beat. IMO

Jullien 30 ds is more of a cardio workout with many reps low weights added. Yes it will help a lot in cardio, and some in weight training, especially if you are new - but if you really want to tighten up all over - Cahlene Extreme will get you there faster, and especially if you incorporate some dumbbells, (heavy to you) with lower reps. You will out grow Jullian faster then Chalene, as Chalenes program is better paced to allow you to really use heavy weights and low reps, as they are meant to be used, with good form, and control.

You can start with a few small individual dumbell pairs from wallamart, or a small dumbbell set.

I started with a few smaller pairs, (5, 10, 7, 12) and when I outgrew them, added on a loose weight plate set with two dumbell bars - and just "built" the sizes of weights I needed (about $40 from walmart)

Eventually I outgrew that, and had to add on more dumbbells, but you can easily add a few at a time here and there, watch garage sales, Craigs list etc.
  • mommyskis
    Options
    There are 3 phases to the program and each phase lasts four weeks. You lift 3 days a week. There are 3 workouts for the Burn phase (so you do those for 4 weeks), then 3 new ones for the Push phase, then 3 for the lean phase. I think they were around 30-40 min. each. Then she gives you 2 cardio workouts (one is 45 min. and one is 27 min.), a stretching workout (21 min.), and an ab workout (10 killer min.) you can use on the other days. Mine had a bonus half-hour Turbo Jam workout too. They were pretty good but sometimes I did my own cardio stuff and pilates to avoid boredom. I'm planning to start a new round in March to be ready for swimsuit season:) I like that you can have the option of using her lifting 3 days a week but I can do other stuff like zumba or running for my cardio if I want to. She also has a hybrid plan of using Chalean Extreme with Turbo Fire, which I am looking forward to getting soon!

Forgot to mention there is a lady that uses the resistance bands that you can watch if you go that route. I'd rather use weights, but I almost had heart failure when I priced her select-techs!
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Chalene is worth every penny. Jillian micheals didn't make me want to get up and do my workouts so I would always skip
    Days. But Chalene was an upbeat attitude and is awesome! I have done the Chalene extreme and the turbo fire and loved both programs that I'm now doing the hybrid of the two. I would sy it cuz its the best out there and I truly believe it
  • kopmom
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, a couple more questions

I am looking especially to tone my mid section (abs), thighs and butt, will Chalean Extream do this?

Also do you think if instead of doing the two cardio dvd's/days and a rest day if I run on those days as my cardio that I will be as successful? I am training for a 1/2 marathon so still need to run 3x a week and more long distances
  • mommyskis
    Options
    I think as long as you do the lifting 3 times a week, you'll be good. The cardio stuff is good, but nothing special. Honestly, you'll tone everything! If you want abs, you'll probably want to add the abs section a few times a week too. I was actually planning on running and doing CE 3 days a week this summer! No treadmill and too cold here to run outside. Good luck!
  • kopmom
    Options
    Thanks mommyskis
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on you. i've read many success stories with JM's program as well as Chelean. I didn't really get the kind of results that would keep me going with any of JM's. Although I don't enjoy exercising, the results I get from P90 keeps me going.
  • kopmom
    Options
    i think it depends on you. i've read many success stories with JM's program as well as Chelean. I didn't really get the kind of results that would keep me going with any of JM's. Although I don't enjoy exercising, the results I get from P90 keeps me going.

Thanks P90 seems like too long of a workout for me. I thin Chelean may be good because it is not as long time wise. Thanks for the feedback
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Chalene will tone your midsection. The only way to really get your abs is to eat right. They abs are all about what you are eating on how your midsection will look. Beachbody does have a probe am
    Designed or te abs which is called revabs