I don't weigh myself

Options
Is this something other people do? I just started really pushing counting calories and tracking gym time. I've seen a definite change in my body but I won't weigh myself. I refuse to get obsessed witht he number on the scale. I know I'm toning and gaining muscle, and I figure that might actually make me gain weight. The last time I was weighed, I came in at 126.6 which is technally a healthy weight for my height (95-132) but I knew it was fat and not muscle. So now That I'm gaining muscle I'm probably gaining weight right? I don't want that to upset me, I feel like the mirrors better than any scale

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing, I didn't even own a scale.

Not necessary and totally easy to obsess over. I think you have it figured out.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm an impatient person so I would want to see immediate results. Howvever, with the strength training and cardio I'm more likely to see and feel a change than see the scale decrease. I weighed when I started and once a month I will weigh in/remeasure. I think it can be really helpful to go scale-less :)
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea!
    About five years ago I lost a bunch of weight. I never stepped on the scale to start with, so I still don't have an idea of exactly how much, but I'm pretty sure it was upwards of 40lbs. I started exercising and eating better, and the weight just fell off. I knew I was losing because I had to keep buying smaller clothes.
    And then I gained it back when I got pregnant a few years ago. I tried to lose weight the same way again - by eating better and exercising, but after 15lbs, the scale stopped moving, and I got discouraged and plateaued. I joined MFP in June and decided to go the old fashioned way of weighing in and counting calories. After having a baby things are different. I weigh the same as I did when I got pregnant, but I'm a pant size bigger. Once I reach my goal weight/size, I'll work myself into monthly weigh-ins, rather than weekly.
  • mbilling
    mbilling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am not weighing myself right now. I have struggled with feeling disappointed by the scale and letting it derail me, so I decided that I just won't weigh. I commit myself to tracking strictly for a four-week period, after which I can have a sort of cheat day....then back on to the next four weeks. My goals are:1) that I feel better and 2) that my clothes fit better, and there's nothing that a number on the scale can really do to change those two goals, so I do not weigh.
  • plethorax
    plethorax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I'm with everyone upthread who finds weigh-ins distracting and dispiriting. My weight fluctuates so wildly that it's not worth the emotional rollercoaster. I prefer obsessive measurement-taking, since at least that won't change with the barometric pressure...
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I weigh myself, I become a slave to the scale, so I am not doing it. :) I am about to start week 5 of Turbo Fire, and when I finish the first main part (it's 12 weeks) I will weigh myself, mostly out of curiosity.

I take measurements and pictures, and my clothes already are fitting better, so that's what I'm using to judge whether or not I'm losing weight/toning up.