Plank - easy method?

Options
porffor
porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
Hi all, I have added a few of the Wii muscle exercises in to start toning up and making me do things I don't normally.. now one of them is what I'd call a 'plank' - they call it something different. But even 2 years post baby I am not able to hold this steady for more than 15 seconds.

Should I carry on from that point or is there an easier method?

I cheated the Wii and put my knees down tonight - still felt some pull but managed to hold my balance better. Is this any good for an early build up?

Abs are most def shot.. lots of work to do.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If you can hold for 15 seconds, that's actually a really good start. Keep at it.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Do it as long as you can in the correct position and then do a scaled down version on your knees while still maintaining the correct form...again as long as you can before quiting. Give it time and you will surprise yourself.
  • porffor
    Options
    Thanks both :smile: Will do that and add it into daily 'quick' exercises I think. :) if I can't hold for too long it won't take long! :laugh:
  • hunibuni73
    hunibuni73 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As long as your engaging your core muscles it dosen't matter how long you can do it today, just try to go a little longer tomorrow, then a bit more the next day.
    Just it keep up, you'll get there!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Plank is deceptive - it looks so easy, but it is one of the hardest core exercises you can do! 15 seconds is a great start - then take a 5 second break, and try to do 15 more seconds (you may not be able to at first, but if you keep doing it soon you will be able to do 20, 30 seconds at a time, and eventually you wont need a break at all!)
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I like the reverse plank
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    There's something called dolphin plank pose which may or may not be easier for you. Images.google.com has a bunch of pictures.

You do it on your arms instead of your hands. It's still core work to keep yourself in line, but I find it to be a lot less stress on the shoulder and upper arms. If it were me, I would start there, get my core strengthened, then work up to plank.

The other thing to keep in mind is breathing. Make sure you breathe while you're in plank. If you focus on your breathing, it distracts you a bit and keeps the muscles happier. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Whats a reverse plank?
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine. If they were easy, they wouldn't do anything for you. Keep with it, you'll be a bad *kitten* in no time.
  • cath129
    cath129 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    another way is using a workout bench instead of on the floor ... still feel the abs work
  • porffor
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! :smile: I felt sure that I was crashing and burning way too soon but a good start is just that.. and I'll build it up for sure.

I found the reverse plank but the link I found says it's works the shoulders - I'm trying to work the abs for this one... goodnes knows they need it! lol

Will keep it up and do the transitions / rests - great ideas all - look forward to being a bad *kitten*... lol