Blisters and callouses. Help!

Options
I was just wondering how to treat callouses on my toes from walking. I had walked before I joined here but now I'm up to 5-6 miles every other day, or 3 miles a day, with a goal of walking 1,000 miles for charity this year. Since Christmas I have walked about 105 miles.
I wear good walking shoes but my 2nd toes on both feet are longer than my big toes next to them. Both of those toes are sore as is the 3rd one on my left foot. I keep my nails trimmed so it's not from that. Right now I have 3 callouses that are sore but don't seem to be blistered and there is no loose skin, so to speak. If I skip a day of walking they heal up some but as soon as I get to about the 4th mile.. ouch! I have tried to smooth them down without irritation but they keep coming back. I have used bandages, mole skin, moisturizers, athletic tape and I wear the proper socks. I have even tried the 'diabetic' socks and they hurt more than the walking socks.
What should I do? See a podiatrist? New shoes fitted at a running store? Keep them bandaged?
ANY help with this would be appreciated. Thank you kindly in advance!

Replies

• PjsAustin
    PjsAustin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing cotton socks? I learned when I started running that cotton is horrible for your feet and caused me to have horrible blisters. I switched to polyester socks and have been blister free ever since.

Other than that I suggest going to a good shoe store and having them pick shoes our for you. I thought I had good shoes until I have a store analyse how I walked and ran on a treadmill and recommended specific shoes for my stride.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    see a chiropodist first, if that doesnt help, see a posiatrist.

it sounds like your footwear is aggravating it.

in the meantime (not sure where youre located) but i always have compeed blister patches in my handbag, put them where its rubbing and it stops it.

they are a god send. x
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    1) go up a size or two on your shoes. Make sure your toes have PLENTY of room in the toe box.
    2) Get better socks. Put talcum powder on your feet before you walk.
    3) how much of this is healing from old caluses/blisters or from new ones each day? Some pain from healing you just might have to deal with, but not necessarily new ones.

I run about what you walk most days, and I don't have blisters or caluses..... I wear atheletic wicking socks (no cotton), and my running shoes are a size bigger than I really need so my toes have PLENTY of room.

Good luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing Dr Scholl's Health strides socks. I dont think they are cotton because the other socks I have that I know are cotton hurt a LOT if i wear them. I'll have to double check and make sure there isn't any in them. Thank you!
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    Thank you maddy. I'll try a bigger pair of shoes and see if it helps. :)
  • ajcheknav
    Options
    You dont! Naturally human feet are supposed to be hard as a rock, not only is healthy but it also protective. Cuts, nicks, abrasions, blisters, will be reduced greatly. Also, having hard feet aides in keeping the bottom of your feet dryer, keeping you running longer and longer! :)
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    bump
  • melrose09
    Options
    1) go up a size or two on your shoes. Make sure your toes have PLENTY of room in the toe box.
    2) Get better socks. Put talcum powder on your feet before you walk.
    3) how much of this is healing from old caluses/blisters or from new ones each day? Some pain from healing you just might have to deal with, but not necessarily new ones.

I run about what you walk most days, and I don't have blisters or caluses..... I wear atheletic wicking socks (no cotton), and my running shoes are a size bigger than I really need so my toes have PLENTY of room.

Good luck!

Second the bigger size. Or not necessarily a bigger size, just a roomier fit, since sizes can very quite a bit brand to brand. KWIM. A running store is a great idea. You can always find out what size you need in particular brands and then find a better price online somewhere if you are cheap like me and don't want to throw down $100 on something you can buy for $60 somewhere else :)