freezer recipe

Options
Cheri1218
Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
Does anyone have a healthy freezer recipe? I want to try some make-ahead dishes, maybe even working toward the Once a Month cooking plan, but I need some recipes first.
Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• sterlinghawk
    Options
    I hear you this is what I am struggling with. I have to make these dishes up a week at a time. Do not have time to be cooking all day long every day.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am starting to do this again - only this time they will be portion controlled servings. I have just taken my normal meals that I would have and cooked them to almost done and am PORTIONING them into containers. I have found pasta does NOT freeze well. But soups, stews, anytype of casserole for me works.

I used to do this along time ago - once you get into the rythmn of doing this - it truely makes life so much easier. I can just call the hubby and tell him to pull 'this' dish out and viola - dinner will be waiting to be fixed when i get home. And i actually only spent about 4 hours on a weekend once i had my plan together. I would shop one day and cook the next.

Good luck.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am starting to do this again - only this time they will be portion controlled servings. I have just taken my normal meals that I would have and cooked them to almost done and am PORTIONING them into containers. I have found pasta does NOT freeze well. But soups, stews, anytype of casserole for me works.

I used to do this along time ago - once you get into the rythmn of doing this - it truely makes life so much easier. I can just call the hubby and tell him to pull 'this' dish out and viola - dinner will be waiting to be fixed when i get home. And i actually only spent about 4 hours on a weekend once i had my plan together. I would shop one day and cook the next.

Good luck.

I found that pasta freezes ok if you freeze the pasta separately in portion size containers and then when you want it just put it in a cup of hot water until it warms up and it tastes great. You can also make soup or chilli, put single servings in zip lock bags and lay them flat on a cookie sheet until they freeze and then you can stand them up on end for more room. You can then throw them in your lunch box frozen and they will be thawed enough by lunch to dump into a cup or bowl and throw in the microwave.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    my family always made goulash and elbow noodles freez fine we used to make unsstuffed peppers besicallt everything u put in stuffed peppers but sautaied instead
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have done a few soups, and using the ziplock bags has been great. They stack up well, but then we pour them into a tupperware once we thaw one out.
    Meatloaf freezes well too.
    I think I want to so some casseroles.
    Any specific recipes I should try?