How many of us follow a Ketogenic Diet?? and is it a dirty w

Options
phee
phee Posts: 147 Member
Just wondering how many people here are following a ketogenic diet? And if so, how is it going for you?

Replies

• phee
    Options
    Owww-kayyy. Well that's probably my answer then. So it looks like its gonna be me and well.....me! But that's ok. Good luck me! LOL.

But on a serious note, eating meat, vegies, nuts and a small amount of fruit is not an unhealthy diet imo.

Best of luck to everyone regardless of their method of choice :-)
  • erinypaolo
    Options
    Im not but I would like to start..I heard its great!any tips?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    hey phee

This sounds like the adkin's diet, which i went on about 10 years ago. Keeping keytones to a certain level. I lost 40 pounds so fast my head was a spinning! unfortunately, the first "sensible" meal i ate, i put on 7 pounds (of water weight, i guess). from then on even though i ate carefully and calorie-wise, most of the weight gradually came back.

I am going MFP now, which can be close to the weight watcher's style, which has been successful for me in the past. totally my fault that i gained everything back even though i DO have a back injury now that prevents a good healthy cardio work out.

I guess in the end, any diet will work if you dedicate yourself. It's weight maintenance that's tough for all of them.

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience with you. Good luck with on your weight loss journey.
  • danlie
    Options
    ketos?~~ahh~~It doesnt work for me lol
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    I did a ketogenic diet over the summer. It works if you're strict and make sure your macro counts are accurate. It's not something I would recommend, though. In all honesty, it didn't give me the lean look I wanted; I just felt deprived. Your body needs carbs, especially from veggies and fruits and cutting them out is quite stressful. I just IF now and that works really well for me.

Are you doing a Cycling Ketogenic Diet?

Good luck!
  • phee
    Options
    Hi guys. Thanks for the replies.

Yes Delilah, i know exactly what you mean. I previously lost 35kg doing a keto diet similar to Atkins and i did eventually regain it all. BUT...i kept it off for 5 years before i started to regain and i only regained when i started eating all the unhealthy carbs that i used to eat. I am resigned to the fact that my body just cannot tolerate white refined products or traditional size servings of grains, starches etc. The problem that i have is that I get very very hungry when i eat a diet high in carbohydrates. And this is the biggest problem i think. I never felt the feeling of satiety when i was eating a diet that included the recommended daily intake of grains, etc. When i eat higher protein and i get my carbs from vegetables and small servings of fruit, I do very well. Its just that its pretty hard to get used to because we are so used to convenience foods. Like you cant just go buy a salad sandwich or a hamburger. You have to have a stir fry or a salad instead. So it involves a lot more cooking, a lot more planning ahead, etc.

Erin, my tips are to cut out cereals, flour products, rice, potoatoes and pasta for 6 days of the week. On the 7th day, you should eat the healthier versions of those foods such as brown rice, wholegrain bread, small potatoe in skin, etc. Probably keep it half the amount you would have previously had. My diet consists of mostly omelette (asparagus or mushroom, or ham & l/f cheese for example) or a fruit smoothie for breakfast, a chicken stir fry with brocolli, onions, carrots, snow peas, etc for lunch or a salad with any meat, and meat and 3 vegies for dinner. I dont include potatoe, sweet potatoe, corn and I limit peas. I drink only water and tea. I do use a few drops of milk in my tea and its never been a problem. There are plenty of different ways of doing a keto diet and this one is called a cyclic keto diet as it includes a day off per week which is designed to replenish glycogen in the muscles so you can continue to exercise without fatigue. I am only just starting out on this program myself as it is not the one I followed years ago. Hopefully i do even better on this one.

I dont think ketogenic diets are for everyone. But i am a blood type O positive and so i believe my genetic make-up is oriented to eating a protein based diet. ( I have always been a meat lover.) But from experience, I can honestly tell you that whenever i have followed Weight Watchers (and i have joined more times than i can count) I have actually gained weight, much to my many years of despair, after the first 4 or 5 kilos lost! So eventually i learned that it just wasn't for me. The ONLY way i have EVER successfully lost weight is following a ketogenic diet. I do plan to eat this way (not stay in ketosis of course) for the rest of my life. I feel fuller on less, I am virtually never hungry and i know what it feels like to feel satisfied! It just feels healthier all round.
  • phee
    Options
    Hi Beauty, thank you.

Yes i am doing CKD. And i am def eating vegies and a little bit of fruit daily. Like a peach or a nectarine, etc.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Paleo to me. Lots of people on that. They seems to like it.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have in the past. After adjusting it was fine, but.. I wouldn't do it again only because of the limited food choices.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Phee: I hope it works for you. I know from the Adkins diet; it's nice NEVER to feel hungry. Sometimes I would even forget to eat.

PS: I have never heard of blood types making a difference in nutritional requirements. Is there a website I could look at for that?

Thanks a bunch!

Oh, yeah... I Jones'd for bread on the Adkins diet. lol
  • phee
    Options
    Thanks Delilah, me too. Re the blood type thing, I dont have a specific website to recommend but im sure you would find something on google. A good starting point would be the paleolithic diet. My opinion is based on my own personal experiences and bits and pieces i have read over the years including the paleolithic diet. This is the diet that cavemen ate in the stoneage (meats, plants, berries, etc) before the advent of grains and cereals 10,000 years ago. The O positive blood type was the original blood type of man and the A and B blood types evolved many years later when grains were introduced to our diet, indicating that these blood types may be more apt to tolerate grains and cereals than O positive blood types who may do better on a diet of basic protein and plant life. This is the gist of it anyway.

Good luck reading up. Its interesting stuff.
  • phee
    Options
    oh hey, i forgot to say - feel free to ad me guys. I could use some friends that are interested in this stuff.:smile:
  • phee
    Options
    I have in the past. After adjusting it was fine, but.. I wouldn't do it again only because of the limited food choices.

yeh, thats the hardest part, the choices are limited. But then again, I have spokento a girl that body builds at my old gym and her diet was way more restricted than mine. She hasn't eaten a grain of sugar in 15 years!! lol. But for me, i think i just need to get used to the idea that im never going to be able to eat the things i have been used to eating my entire life and be thin at the same time. lol.
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm doing something similar, I think! I've been (mostly) grain-free for 3 weeks! I'm blogging about my journey: www.eatcleanworkdirty.blogspot.com
  • phee
    Options
    I'm doing something similar, I think! I've been (mostly) grain-free for 3 weeks! I'm blogging about my journey: www.eatcleanworkdirty.blogspot.com

Thanks Tiffany. I just checked out your blog. Your program looks great! Not quite as low carb as what iam doing but you are doing a whole lot more working out so you need the extra carbs in yours. I am quite large so i need to start off a bit easier on the exercise and slowly build up. But i would love to follow you on your journey. You look awesome btw.

Jo
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I love researching and trying to keep up with the most current news on nutrition and fitness! :)