Stuck & Frustrated

Options
It's these last 10 pounds and they just aren't budging. I'm not sure what else I should be doing or could be doing to get things moving again.

I just switched plans from 2lb/week to 1lb/week weight loss which has increased my calories from 1200-1330/day. I am working out 5-6 days per week. I am doing the C25K program (just finishing week 5) with 1-2 extra runs added in. I am just starting to throw some resistance training into the mix.

I am eating my calories, and some, if not most of my exericise calories back. I am doing pretty well I think. I am keeping the sugars down, minimizing starches and eating low fat.

I am weighing once per month as I was getting pretty discouraged weighing more often. And for the entire month the scale didn't budge.

Any suggestions for kick starting things again? I am getting super frustrated as it feels as though all my hard work through exercise just isn't giving me the weight loss results I'm looking for. HELP!

Replies

• tmajor13
    Options
    Are you driking 64oz or more of water a day?
  • cynthia3010
    Options
    I know at times when I have been stuck I've eaten more fish, tuna. It's been said the more fish you eat the more weight you will lose. Shock your system and increase your work out.:love:
  • tmajor13
    Options
    drinking*
  • jnpippins
    jnpippins Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go to www.bodyrock.tv and do their workouts either at home or at the gym. Guaranteed that by adding some spice to your training you will break this plateau you have hit. You probably have hit a period of adaptation where your body has acclimated to the activity level and calories you are giving it.

I don't care what level of fitness you are in, they have awesome modifications for their workouts that will work for everyone. Do their workouts and make sure to email me back cause I want to know how SORE you are the next day and how much FUN you had.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any HIIT (high intensity interval training), which takes your heart rate up & down? Burns more fat & calories than steady state exercise. Mix it up. Try something new or different. Also, when I hit a plateau I cut out carbs unless they come from fruit or vegetables & I don't eat fruit after 5pm. What kind of beverages do you drink? I'm super sensitive to sodium & try to limit my carbonated water to no more than 2/day. Good luck & stay with it! :)
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat.
  • pmontoya1252
    Options
    sounds weird but DDR has become my friend-it's fun-instead of an hour or two on the TV-I dance and according to my kids look like I'm having a "fit" it's fun and funny-I have no balance and 2 right or 2 left feet but it's taking the weight off quickly-added to going to the gym 1.5 hours a day 3 days a week-just started but I use a special quote as my mantra: Self Pitty, I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough. With out ever having felt sorry for itself.
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you take measurements? You could be shredding some inches and not lbs if you're adding some muscle.
  • 3Beans5
    Options
    I'm definately working to increase my H2o intake to 64oz per day. I am hit or miss and usually drink around 32oz at minimum per day.

I don't eat fish, other tuna unfortunately, just don't like it.

I'm doing the C25K program for running which is interval training.

The only things I drink are green tea, water and tea. I also don't eat any fruit after 2pm and I limit starches. I did 17DD a while ago and a lot of the basics of that have stuck with me.

I will check out that website and will try and switch up my workouts. I think I'll add in a workout DVD a few nights per week and see if that helps.
  • 3Beans5
    Options
    I haven't taken measurements. I am sure I'm losing inches. But it's those darn 10 pounds that I really want to lose. I have tried to switch my focus, but I can't, I keep going back to the # on the scale.

Over the last 2 years I've lost 100 pounds. I gained a lot while pregnant with my kids and am now lighter then I was prekids, but according to the charts am still not in a healthy BMI range.
  • sdailey4
    sdailey4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The BMI scale is not 100% accurate, if you are mostly muscle and can't shed the extra 10 lbs, why worry about a generalized number for the population as a whole? If you are in a good size for your height it doesn't matter what the scale says.
  • 3Beans5
    Options
    The BMI scale is not 100% accurate, if you are mostly muscle and can't shed the extra 10 lbs, why worry about a generalized number for the population as a whole? If you are in a good size for your height it doesn't matter what the scale says.
    Very true! Although I still have 'flabby' areas that I would like to disappear. So perhaps tightening and toning may help!
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Adding lifting would be a great help. And don't do barbie weights. Lift heavy, build muscle!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Idk if it'll work for you but I lost my last 10 by going up to maintenance for a couple of weeks and then dropping back down. I don't know the science behind it but one of the members here told me to try it because it had been 3 months with no results. It worked amazingly well-- I even got to set myself a new goal weight because I reached the first one. I was starting to think my body was just happy at that weight and wasn't going to give any more, but it finally did turn loose of that last little bit.
  • 3Beans5
    Options
    Idk if it'll work for you but I lost my last 10 by going up to maintenance for a couple of weeks and then dropping back down. I don't know the science behind it but one of the members here told me to try it because it had been 3 months with no results. It worked amazingly well-- I even got to set myself a new goal weight because I reached the first one. I was starting to think my body was just happy at that weight and wasn't going to give any more, but it finally did turn loose of that last little bit.
    I will have to look into that. I just increased from 1200 to 1350 per day. I will give myself 2 weeks. If no change then I will increase to the maintenace calories and see if that helps!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

This is what I always suggest to those in this position.
    The bodies defense mechanism will try to hold onto the best energy stores it has!
    FAT!
    As a means of trying to hold onto this fat it slows the metabolism down a bit.
    Eating at maintenance or 100cal below you can rev that metabolism a bit for about 2-4 weeks then resume.
    Also keep in mind that if its cold where you live, BMR is higher and the body wants insulation!
    You could maintain till say April 1st then resume when its easier to lose the last few pounds.
  • 3Beans5
    Options
    If I am eating the maintance calories I shouldn't gain right?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you are staying consistent and getting the correct macros you shouldnt.