You Really Should Eat Your Exercise Cals Back!

Options

Replies

• YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Not sure why but it bothers me when people log "house cleaning" as wkn out........kinda makes me laugh........
    I don't think it's meant to be working out, but being physical, in one of it's myriad of forms. I can understand where you are coming from, though!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    totally not necessary to workout 90 min a day..........

you must not be a runner
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I work out for an hour twice a week is all. I keep myself on a 2000 calorie diet and I personally find that by not eating back my calories, I end up losing weight. I might be different than a lot of other people though because I only maintain about a 500 kcal deficit as opposed to some who opt for a larger deficit.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    totally not necessary to workout 90 min a day..........

Not necessary for most people, but some truly enjoy it, or are trainers, or are working toward certain goals which may require more time and effort. :-)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    i had major issues with not being able able to lose weight because i wasn't eating enough calories or exercising,im struggling to make it to 1200 let alone wat im burning but ive sill lost 1st since new yrs ,wat i dont understand is isnt the deficit wat causes weight if you eat all you burn wouldnt you just be maintaining?

That's what I don't get, and I have read all the arguments about eating your exercise calories. IF I need to lose weight and I have 1200 limit - which I must admit I sometimes find hard to get to, now that I am not having added sugar / butter etc - have been choosing healthy fresh foods as much as possible - I "get" that. Limit my intake - tick!

BUT if I then exercise, which I need to do more off, tthat is my downfall I'm a lazy so-and-so - IF I burn calories - it seems strange that I should "eat" them back?? Perhaps because I do so little exercise for me it's not an issue - for those people who manage 60-90 mins nearly every day :flowerforyou: then I can see it would be an issue. But for slugs like me it probably isn't?

ALTHOUGH I am stuck at the same weight for a week - maybe I SHOULD eat back those few cals I burn!!!! Mmm no "smiley" for confused :laugh:
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Here is my problem. Sometimes I am way to full to eat back all of my exercise calories! Sometimes I have 1000 calories left and can not eat or drink another thing. What do we do then?? Right now I have over 800 left for the day and am stuffed.
  • BeverleyDunn
    BeverleyDunn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    .Have a glass of wine or two. :drinker:
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Here is my problem. Sometimes I am way to full to eat back all of my exercise calories! Sometimes I have 1000 calories left and can not eat or drink another thing. What do we do then?? Right now I have over 800 left for the day and am stuffed.

if you know you are going to exercise that day, plan your day out in advance then you can spread them through the day and not be stuck with 1000 extra cals to eat last thing at night :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

I peekd at your diary, and I think you are fine. You ate about 1900 calories of healthy choices today. Don't sweat it...if you are full, you are full! Next time, just try to get in a mid-morning and evening snack. Not eating all of your calories every single time is not going to kill your hard work
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by eating the excerise calories? Thats what creates the deficit at the end of the day to lose weight, if you have had enough to eat, why eat them back? Now I say this assuming its a normal 400-600 cal burn workout and youve eaten at least 1200 cal total at the end of the day...

the deficit is already included in the allowance MFP gives you, by not eating back exercise calories you are creating double your intended deficit which is not healthy.
    if you eat 1200 and burn 400-600, your net is 600-800 which is nowhere near enough for your basic bodily functions to keep you alive!

I like you.
  • blueandigo
    Options
    It is hard for me to eat back those calories. I try to get them back though.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I aggree 100% ...i am concerned about people that drop lower than 1200 ...my dietician has warned me me of the danger in going to low ...
    The way i am working is ..1 kg a month equal 12 kg a year ...2 years 24 kg...gone and will be learning to stay steady when i get to my goal weight ...My doctor weighs me every month , so far no gains ....( touch wood ) ..lol ! My b/p is good now , suger under control ...wasglu / impaired .and cholest/ ....waiting test . I suffer with chronic back and neck pain from accidents not my fault , and exercise is limited ...just walking and light gardening ...is all i can manage . Swimming is ok but i prefer not to go , as i can only tred the pool for short time before pain kicks in .....I have been on disability pension since 48 rs of age ...and stress in my life has made me turn to food for comfort . However i now have stress management counselling ...And with the help of all my friends on MFP...I AM DOING GREAT ....and feeling good . So good luck everyone on your journey ....may it be a pleasant one and no rebound !
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    bump
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options

I peekd at your diary, and I think you are fine. You ate about 1900 calories of healthy choices today. Don't sweat it...if you are full, you are full! Next time, just try to get in a mid-morning and evening snack. Not eating all of your calories every single time is not going to kill your hard work

Thanks!! I have been sitting here wondering if I should make a sandwich or something. Seriously. lol
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I work out quite a bit (1-1.5 hours six days a week) partially because I enjoy it and partially because I like to eat. I work out so I can eat most of the stuff I want and not feel deprived. Some days I am more hungry than others, so I will not eat all my cals that day, but I will eat them on a day I am especially hungry or when I take a day off. I am set at a pound a week and have averaged almost exactly that, without ever feeling deprived or hungry. It is a win-win to me!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I work out quite a bit (1-1.5 hours six days a week) partially because I enjoy it and partially because I like to eat. I work out so I can eat most of the stuff I want and not feel deprived. Some days I am more hungry than others, so I will not eat all my cals that day, but I will eat them on a day I am especially hungry or when I take a day off. I am set at a pound a week and have averaged almost exactly that, without ever feeling deprived or hungry. It is a win-win to me!

Good post :smile: I'm the same I like to workout and I like to eat, haven't really felt like im 'on a diet' at all!
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I am glad I found this thread. I search for posting that is going to help me. I will say this I try to switch out white product with wheat. I don't do it all the time. I am experiment with food, because I am a picky eater. Today I am having fried pork chop. My brother tells me all the time leave fried foods alone. I say lets compromise. I only eat fried foods twice a week now and I eat my serving. I weigh my meat after I cook it and if it is over. I cut some off the pork chop until I get 3 ounces. Save the trims for another meal put on top of 1/4 cup of rice. It is a give and take game. Everyone's body is different and act different. What works for you may not work for me. I gained a truck load of weight because of the amount I was eating and not moving. Stress contribute to my eating drive. So give me the meatloaf, mash potatoes, real salad dressing, and even a doughnut. Just give it to me in the correct serving for my body. The doughnut is one compared to a dozen a week. It took me years to get to just one a month and sometimes I can go months without one. It is all about the individual and what they can eat to lose or maintain a healthy body. You have to eat enough to keep your immune system health. I do have a certain amount I will not go over. Every first of the month I will increase my calories by fifty until I reach fifteen hundred calories. By then I should be at my half way point. My advice be true to yourself, eat health, and exercise. The main thing find out why and how we have gained the weight and correct it. It's a shame people eat like birds to get off and then a year later they gain it back for a double cheeseburger. When all they had to do was eat off the children menu. lol
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Those who want to will find a way, those who don't will find an excuse.

I think I'm going to get this put on a t-shirt, haha. How true.

I will chirp in here and there on weight loss advice if I think I have something to add to a thread but I'm leary on doing it. I obviously found what works for ME but loosing weight (and keeping it off!) is so personal and has to be so customized to our bodies and our lifestyles. I roll my eyes a lot at the "You HAVE to eat more, you HAVE to eat back your calories, you HAVE to cut carbs, you HAVE to blah blah blah" threads. Just because something works for your neighbor doesn't mean it will work for you. The end.
  • countrymom2011
    Options
    If you really want to loose weight you will find the time to work out, there is no excuse!
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    great explanation:happy: