Any Runners Out There who have...

Options
Hey :)

Quick Question...are there any runners out there who have lost 100lbs. or are in the process of losing it? I'm just curious how you pace yourself with running. I started running last year and got a little frustrated because I didn't feel like I was making much progress. I decided to do other exercises until I lost more weight because I thought I'd be a better runner and that it'd be better on my knees and overall body if I weighed less. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Tips? Anything?

Replies

• otiswallymom4
    otiswallymom4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Running is very tough on your joints, especially if you are overweight. There are lots of other forms of cardio that work as well. I highly recommend walking up hill, this is low impact and get's you in amazing shape. It's most important to move your body. I would wait to run until I had some more of the weight off. I injured a knee by running too much, and I wasn't carrying any extra pounds.
  • hootinowl
    Options
    I originally lost 30 lbs combining running, diet, and strength training with weights. The thinner I get, the easier it seems to run.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I didn't lost 100 pounds, but did lose 70...and after I started dropping weight it became a lot easier on my knees and joints. I did the C25K program and still continued to do weight training as well. The weights along with the cardio is almost a must do because building that lean muscle will help fill in as you lose the fat.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 60 pounds so far - much of it due to running. I started very slow - took me about 15 minutes to do less than a mile. I added a minute on every day that I ran (6x a week) until I got to 30 minutes, then I started working on speed.
    I was 279 pounds when I started. I have since run 3 marathons, 7 half marathons and many other distance races.
    You can definitely do it, just don't overdo it.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    When I started running I weighed around 280 - I now weigh 218. The more weight you lose, the easier it gets and the faster you get, but it's a long process. My pace is still pretty slow - between a 15-16 minute mile, which is a brisk walk for some - but that's the fastest I can go and hold that pace. However, when I started "running" I was more of a 17-18 minute mile. In one season of running I cut off 6 minutes of my 5K time by losing weight and sticking with it. They say you improve your pace by about 30 seconds with every 10lbs that you lose, and for me that was pretty close to accurate.

Anyway, don't ever think you're too heavy to start running, just be sure you get good shoes and start slow. Run/walk intervals are the best until you can train your heart and lungs to keep up, then you just have to wait for your muscles and bones to catch up before you can progress to the next distance. C25K is a great program to start with, and like I said, get good shoes. Go to a running store and have them do a gait analysis and fit you for the proper shoe. Doing that will save you TONS of knee pain!!

And by the way, it's a myth that running is bad for your joints - it actually helps slow down osteoporosis. If you're doing it wrong, now that's another story.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost 100 lbs but did lose 40 a couple of years ago. I do agree that running is intrusive to the joints, and believe me, at 52 there are days I feel each and every impact. However, I love to run and if you run in correct form it is less intrusive.
    I suggest getting advice from a professional trainer to evaluate your running form and take heed to the advice given.
    Keep on keepin' on ...or should I say, keep on runnin' on?
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    When I started running I weighed around 280 - I now weigh 218. The more weight you lose, the easier it gets and the faster you get, but it's a long process. My pace is still pretty slow - between a 15-16 minute mile, which is a brisk walk for some - but that's the fastest I can go and hold that pace. However, when I started "running" I was more of a 17-18 minute mile. In one season of running I cut off 6 minutes of my 5K time by losing weight and sticking with it. They say you improve your pace by about 30 seconds with every 10lbs that you lose, and for me that was pretty close to accurate.

Anyway, don't ever think you're too heavy to start running, just be sure you get good shoes and start slow. Run/walk intervals are the best until you can train your heart and lungs to keep up, then you just have to wait for your muscles and bones to catch up before you can progress to the next distance. C25K is a great program to start with, and like I said, get good shoes. Go to a running store and have them do a gait analysis and fit you for the proper shoe. Doing that will save you TONS of knee pain!!

And by the way, it's a myth that running is bad for your joints - it actually helps slow down osteoporosis. If you're doing it wrong, now that's another story.

Great advice :flowerforyou:
  • Jagmamma
    Options
    Agreed with the others. My goal was around 85 pounds so imagine running carrying that extra weight! My one knee kills after a while but I love the feeling especially now that I've built up some stamina and CAN run longer as far as my ability goes. I'm very aware that less weight on my (long ago) injured knee would be a good thing though so I do a lot of things to keep my stamina on the up and up. :) I'd just keep trying a few laps here and there and see if it's getting easier after a few week on the elliptical for example. I saw more change by switching it up.
  • jlambert77
    jlambert77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've lost 65lbs since April of 2010, I started running in August 2010...I ran my first 5K in October of 2010, and my first 1/2marathon in October of 2011!!

I trained through the Running Room, and have stuck(so far!) to their 'philosophy' of 10&1s..You work up to those intervals, slowly but surely...10minutes running, 1 minute walking...My 1/2marathon, my husband and I did that the WHOLE way, and I finished with a very good 2:34finish time(with 2 broken toes from the previous week!!!) :)

Stick to it, but go slow...it'll MELT the weight off!! It's great cardio! :)
    (and I second the comment on getting the proper shoes..that makes ALL the difference!!
  • qwills2cats
    qwills2cats Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started running at 225 lbs and am now around 155 with more to lose. I started with small goals... make it to the end of the block... run a mile... run 2 miles... I started in August and ran my first 5k Thanksgiving with a time of 39 minutes. I have run 2 5ks since then and my latest was in less than 35 minutes. Since then I have added in EA Active for the Wii and even though I hate it I can tell it is making me stronger and faster... in fact I ran my first sub 10 mile today! I haven't had any pain since I bought good running shoes.

Take is slow and easy and celebrate every accomplishment and just keep going... it gets easier and the side effects are pretty good!