Macbook Pro

Options
jmuhnie
jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
I am currently debating what computer to get next. Currently have a 2.5 year old ASUS laptop that is missing the "E" and "F5" keys, blinks if I don't bump the bottom side of it periodically. I have backed everything up but now need to figure out what to get next. I have bought an iphone over this time and like it. I think I have decided to get a 15" macbook pro, put 8 gb ram on it.

What I don't know is whether to get the upgraded screens, apple care plan or if I need to wait for any new apple developments. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Replies

• lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in following this too. DH drank the koolaid and wants a mac book. I work on PCs and I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. Is the $350 warranty worth it? I bought the one on my last Dell and it was. My harddrive died at 6 months and I had a new one the next day. They helped me work out a driver issue with my touch pad and replaced the power cord earlier this year. And just last week (1 week before the 3 year warranty expires) they replaced the CD/DVD drive for me. So, it was worth the money I spent on it. I'm just having a hard time choking down almost $2000 and THEN adding the cost of the warranty to it.
  • irishchick_77
    irishchick_77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The protection plan is worth it. Both my husband and I have MacBook Pros, and knowing that you won't have to pay an arm and a leg if something goes wrong is well worth it. We have only had to use it once (a short in his power cord) but it was really slick and they were great to work with.
  • jmuhnie
    Options
    So anyone else have any thoughts? How should i customize a macbook pro?
  • lwalters5
    lwalters5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my MacBook Pro. I was always a PC person. Until I decided to try Apple. Ha! But, I've had mine for almost 4 years now and it is still working just as well as the day I got it. The last laptop I had was a PC and it lasted about a year. The quality definitely makes it worth the price. I am not sure about customisations, but if you have an Apple store in your area, I would definitely check that out. In my experience, they have wonderful people working there that can help you figure out exactly what you want.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have an 8g MacBook Pro myself. LOVE it. IMHO, definitely go for the anti-glare screen upgrade. My laptop doesn't have it and I wish I did; my hubby's (he has the same one but with the anti-glare) does. In addition to being anti-glare, it stays cleaner.

Apple's protection plan is nice. We don't have it; haven't needed it. But because their stuff is so pricey, it would be worth it even in the event of something small breaking. :)
  • futbolkt21
    Options
    I don't have answers to all of your questions, but I will say that I LOVE my MacBook. I have had it for 4 years and haven't had a single problem with it (knock on wood). My mom has had her 6 and also has not had any issues. Mac is the way to go!

Oh, but yes, get Apple Care. I never had to use it, but better safe than sorry!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Applecare is very worth it. Apple trouble-shooting tends to be easier than a PC too... try this.... try this.... try that.... ok that didn't work, we'll send you a box and send it in for repair it's hardware.

Just look into it, you used to have a window of 1 year from purchase to buy the applecare... IF that's still the case wait out part of that year and add it near the end? Most of my stuff if it's going to fail does so in the first year or it's good for 10+

Though back with my Tandy 1000HX when the board fried 3 months before the end of the 3 or 5 year protection period yeah I got a brand-new one with nearly no time on it as it wasn't long after the replacement that I got a better computer :P
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Love my Macs. I use them both at work and at home. I would get the service plan, anything I spend that much money is worth the extra investment. Have I ever needed it, no, but better safe than sorry. I started with the higher processor, and also upgraded the memory and hard drive. I did for both my desktop and MacBook Pro.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Drank the cool aid!!! After my PC went wonky for the umpteenth time I decided to add up about how much of my life i have spent working to get software to cooperate and everything that goes along with a PC.

Then went out and bought a iMac, a iPad and an iPhone.......i'm not looking back.

Get the apple care,
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Get the Apple Care, but get it from Mac not the retailer (if you're buying it from Best Buy or anyone other than Apple). My last MB I was really grateful I'd gotten it, because I had my first (in over 20 years) Mac lemon. :tongue: Pretty much had everything replaced on it! My current one is two years old an haven't had any issues.

Personally I've always been more than happy with just the MacBook, and I'm an artist so I do a lot of photo manipulation, etc. If you're not editing video I would question whether you really need the Pro. Save the bucks, max out the RAM and have fun. :smile: And yeah, if there's an option to get the non-glare, get it!
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I have an iMac. It's about 4 1/2 years old. My CD drive went out about a year or so ago. That has been the only problems I have had. I just recently bought an external drive. I have always worked on Macs. My husband had always used PCs until we bought this computer. He couldn't get over how simple it was to use. I love Macs! I also have an iPhone. I do wish the Apple products were a little less expensive. I would love to get a MacBook in the future.
  • jmuhnie
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. As for pro v regular. I still need a cd rom/dvd drive. I also do a fair amount of photography...nothing other than personal use but would like something that can handle the load. I probably have 50 gigs of images to run through at the moment. Thanks for the anti glare discussion. I like the mfp crowd. Never lets you down.
  • jennaknight03
    Options
    I have the website open but I was wanting to know if there was the app on the macbook pro (apple)?:smile::)
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    Been using my White macbook for the past 4 plus years.