Dr. OZ's spike day

Options
Okay, so i've read a lot of topics on this already. i never watched the episode. and i understand the concept of it. my mom is always like...eating some BAD once in a while so your metabolism doesn't slow down and keeps ur body going. i'm afraid to do this. i understand that it could work, but its just like. what if my body doesnt want to cooperate for me and then i weigh in and its like.. "YOU GAINED 2LB, FOOL!" ....

those who have spike days once a week, or every other week, etc...heres some questions.

i am set to eat 1200cal on here. how much more do you eat on a spike day? for example, if i ate 1400 instead.....would i exercise and burn off those cals or not exercise that day? im i looking for like no calorie deficit from exercise that day, or just the fact that i'm increasing my calories? any help :) any points or advice or anything. i want to try it but part of me is scared and i dont want to put my weigh loss back by a week if i end up gaining a pound, but i also dont want to have my metabolism slow down onme from just eating 1200 a day. im already at a healthy bmi so my body will not be letting me lose weight as quicky anyways. i lose 5lb in a week and a half. and 1.1 lb last week. so far at 6lb lost. im 5'6 and weigh 147, small body frame. IF any of that even matters. and my body fat % is 19.6 and my goal is somewhere between118- and lower 120s

Replies

• JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    why thank you kind sir :) lol
  • Bubba_Furley
    Bubba_Furley Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Look up your TDEE. Minus 300-400 from that. Eat those calories. Forget the spike days.

Eat the foods you want in moderation.

Give yourself a cheat day once a week, not because it'll "spike" your metabolism, but because everyone deserves to have a treat after eating good all week.
  • brighteyesxluv
    Options
    ooo thanks for the bumps :)
  • brighteyesxluv
    Options
    Look up your TDEE. Minus 300-400 from that. Eat those calories. Forget the spike days.

Give yourself a cheat day once a week, not because it'll "spike" your metabolism, but because everyone deserves to have a treat after eating good all week.

what does TDEE mean?
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    My trainer tells me not to be afraid to eat, but I feel the same way. I ate crap on Saturday, I ate really bad. I weight the same amount now that I did when I weighed in last Saturday. If I am gonna have a spike day do it on weigh in day obviously after you weigh in and if you don't want to see the number give yourself another week before you weigh in. I went away for a wedding ate like crap and gained .7 lbs, I did exercise everyday though. Following week I lost like 5 lbs.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I usually up my calories 200-300 on a cheat day, usually once a week. Sometimes twice, or I might skip a few weeks. It's really more of a drive to eat more than it is to purposefully spike my metabolism. I listen to my body, and respond accordingly. Personally, I think if a 2 lb gain is your biggest fear, you should just go for it. 2 lbs is nothing, I can gain and lose that overnight (water weight and what not). You are most likely not going to gain 2 lbs of fat from upping your calories by a couple hundred once a week. And you never know, it might just give the scale a nudge in the right direction.

Hope you find what you're looking for! Keep up the great work :)
  • brighteyesxluv
    Options
    I usually up my calories 200-300 on a cheat day, usually once a week. Sometimes twice, or I might skip a few weeks. It's really more of a drive to eat more than it is to purposefully spike my metabolism. I listen to my body, and respond accordingly. Personally, I think if a 2 lb gain is your biggest fear, you should just go for it. 2 lbs is nothing, I can gain and lose that overnight (water weight and what not). You are most likely not going to gain 2 lbs of fat from upping your calories by a couple hundred once a week. And you never know, it might just give the scale a nudge in the right direction.

do you exercise on your cheat day? and okay i think ill give it a go :) thank you.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm also on 1200 calories and I do a "cheat meal." It was actually today. I had a burger and fries and some cake for dessert. So I essentially have whatever I want, including dessert in "normal" portions- not necessarily one serving or whatever but I'm not going to eat a burger, an entire pizza, and 3 slices of cake, etc. I eat very light during the rest of the day so that most of my calories are saved for my cheat meal- I'd only had 150 cals before that today. I vary between 1500-2000 calories for the day and I don't exercise on Fridays either. For me it's more about enjoying the foods I really want rather than trying to increase my metabolism or something. When you're on 1200 calories, I really can't afford to have cake at other times unless I'm going to eat only that. It gives me something to look forward to also- if I'm really craving something and want to go above my calories, I know I only have to wait until Friday to have it. It also lets me enjoy treats without feeling guilty or like I went "off the diet" since it is planned and purposeful. I've consistently lost 1-2 pounds a week from this, and since I have less than 30 to lose I think that's pretty good. Don't weight yourself the very next day or even the day after because you will weigh more simply by the extra volume of food- by the end of the week it will all be balanced out. I weigh on Friday mornings and cheat meal is on Friday nights! I don't suggest a whole day as you can really rack up the calories that day, especially for those of us that are only supposed to be having 1200. On a "cheat day" I could manage to eat well over 4,000 especially if I wanted a lot of sweets! I do know some people do an entire "cheat day" once a month or something, but for me I'm afraid that would throw me off track.
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options
    I have myself on 1200 a day although MFP suggests 1430. I will probably up it but that is another story. I usually spike on the day of weigh in. I weigh first thing in the morning. So it is that day or the next. I will eat upwards of 2000 cal that day and I don't exercise that day. My weight will also spike shortly following then go down each day after that showing a loss of 1-2lbs a week. The weeks I do not have a spike day, I loose less or none at all. Your metabolism will become complacent and stop working as hard if you feed it the same way daily for weeks, months....
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    If I am craving something then I eat it. Even if it means cheatin on my diet more than twice a week. Bc the rest of the time I am normally really well with stayin under my calories. So if my body says hey I am hungry for a donut then hey it may have the damn donut! But usually it don't ask for junk food.
  • viclsmith
    viclsmith Posts: 11 Member
    Options

what does TDEE mean?
  • viclsmith
    viclsmith Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Please explain what TDEE mean?
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm doing around 1200 normally, but go 400-600 calories over when we occasionally go out for a special dinner, which is about every other week or so. Everytime I have that one spikey day I tend to drop more weight on weigh-in day than weeks that I don't have a spikey day.

Of course everyone is different. But trying it once or twice isn't going to hurt you over the long haul.
  • Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into spike days. I have a friend who has lost 111 pounds and has been at a stand still. She had her first spike day last Saturday. She has been updating us on her progress through the week and has weighed in everyday since. Today she reported that the day after the spike day, she gained 5 pounds, the first day after eating low again, she lost 3 pounds, the second day the other 2 pounds. Then the third day she lost 1.5 pounds, the fourth day another 1 pound and today another half pound. So she's lost a total of 3 pounds with one more day to lose before weigh in. Also, there is a Spike Diet group here on MFP that should be able to help you a lot more than I can.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    TDEE= Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's your BMR times your multiplier for activity level.

I have a day sometimes where I'll eat 200-300 calories over, but that only puts me at maintenance not surplus. Usually I just work what I want into my daily allowance. I think it's however you want to set it up that works for you. If you like to do one treat day, then do that. If you'd rather spread it out across the week and not go over on calories, do that. Some people do a spike day, which I think is more calories than what I do. You have to be careful with that if your deficit is already small, but people who do it swear by it. It's really an individual thing.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You're not going to "gain 2 pounds" unless you eat 7000 calories PLUS your maintenance calories...which is much more than the 1200 you're eating now.

If you ate 2000+ you'd barely be making it a maintenance day...so you merely set yourself back a single day...giving you 6 days of "weight loss" a week and 1 day of maintenance. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options

do you exercise on your cheat day? and okay i think ill give it a go :) thank you.

Sometimes. I try to get at least 20-60 minutes a day, but there are weeks where I might take a couple of days off. Every now and then one of those days off lands on a cheat day. I try to think of calorie consumption as a weekly goal, rather than a daily one. [edited for spelling]