I'm seriously lacking potassium

Options
carrieous
carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
Besides bananas, what are good sources of potassium? And what is potassium good for? It is bad I am not eating enough? I eat less than a third of my "goal" per the app.

I guess i could google it:)

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
  • carrieous
    Options
    Thank you! Ive heard kale is a great source as well and while i love it, how much kale can a person eat in a day? lol
  • carrieous
    Options
    Definitely going to pick up some dried apricots and pistachios!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the UDSA does not require manufacturers to put potassium on the nutrition label. Therefore, it is often times omitted, and MFP only knows to count what has been declared.

Potassium deficiency is quite rare.

However, I freaked out once and googled a lot on the subject and found that lima beans have a lot of potassium.

Chances are, you aren't lacking at all in it, but if you want to eat more of it, it probably won't hurt you either.
  • sallypage724
    sallypage724 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Salt substitutes have a ton, baked potatoes have a lot too
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I was told that oranges have more potassium than bananas. Potassium is important...very complicated biological explanation...short of it is that if you have an electrolyte imbalance, it can affect your heart and cause cramps and disorientation, among other things. I think it would be hard to get to that point, especially if you are conscious of it and eating stuff to avoid a deficiency.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    The following all contain Potassium:

raisins
    prunes
    apricots
    dates
    strawberries
    bananas
    watermelon
    cantaloupe