30 day shred - knee problem

Options
I started the 30 day shred last Tuesday and really enjoyed the workout for the first 3 days I did it...I've already lost 2 lbs and an inch off my waist! Okay I can't say I really enjoyed it while I was doing it as it seriously kicked my butt. However, on Friday morning I woke up with my knee feeling really tight and I can't bend it very far. Doesn't really hurt, a little achy if I try to bend it very much. I figured if I stayed off it for a few days I would be able to start up again tomorrow but it hasn't gotten better. I've never had any knee injuries before and don't know what I should do. I was excited to get moving again and now I'm frustrated that I can't be exercising. Frustrating :(

Replies

• jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    I found I had to modify some of the moves as it hurt my knees. I could not do all the jumps, paticularly jump/skipping rope one, I would jog on the spot during that time. Try changing whatever exercises bother you to something else. I'm sure you will still see results without putting your body at risk.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Apparently Jillian said on a podcast that the DVD isn't meant to be done everyday. Currently I am doing in every other day and that lets my body adjust and fix itself.
  • LoonyBird720
    LoonyBird720 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have patellar tracking syndrome in my right knee, basically it's a crooked kneecap. Lunges and squats can make it hurt a good bit, but usually I put an ice pack on my knee as soon as I'm done with 30ds and then soon after take a hot bubble bath with epsom salt. Doing all that seems to really help with it, on top of 30ds I've been doing an exercise bike and/or walking afterward.
  • debblacker
    Options
    Has anyone tried or thought about doing the jumping jacks and jump rope on a small trampoline? Wondering if that would be easier on the knees...
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the 30 day shred yet. It's currently in the mail on it's way here. I have, however, done three other dvds by Jillian Michaels during the past 5 weeks and I have knee pain right at the knee cap that I've never had before. I'm sure it's the lunges and the squats. I'm trying to figure out what to do instead. I was thinking of marching in place just to keep the heart rate up. I'm disappointed because I've finally got myself committed to working out after nearly 20 years. This sure has been a lesson in making adjustments to accomodate where I'm at. Sigh...
  • pitbullmom87
    Options
    OUCH! i started level 2 today and my right knee is bugging me. when i was younger i sprained my knee really bad in volleyball and had to wear a knee brace for a long time. they have been bothering me for the last few days. i do the 30ds and zumba fitness and if i can handle it, the gazelle. wondering if there is anything i can do to help with the pain...
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I had never before had any knee pain and the 30 day shred wrecked my knees for a few months during and after the workout. They seem fine now....was worth it. Lost a LOT of inches doing that.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I call it the 30 day knee shredder! I have tried it twice and both times I had to stop because of knee pain.
  • mauigyrl
    mauigyrl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I felt a little twinge on my right knee after doing L1 and L2 lastnight. Trying to make up for my Olive Garden dinner. I do some of the modified versions from time to time. Taking a day off today on the workout. I am on L2 and tomorrow's workout will be D18.
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    sizzlinoverthefat Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer but at the very beggining of the dvd it staes you should consult a dr befor any starting any excersing. Duh:huh: , but I do suggest if you dont take that advise, try to take it easy at firs like not using weights for the first week then go to 2 lb weights to help easy into it and use a knee brace that should help. Also like one of the other stated ice after for 20 minutes should help with pain and swelling...:flowerforyou:
    FYI i broke my patella back in 2003 and it gives me issues at times but i use a knee brace when i do anything strenous, like jumping jacks, climbing mountains etc....
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    sizzlinoverthefat Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried or thought about doing the jumping jacks and jump rope on a small trampoline? Wondering if that would be easier on the knees...
    I actual had but I dnot' have enough room in my "excersie room" it already has a full bed, and dresser along with the ab lunger and ellipticall machine. but maybe someone else has don this...:ohwell:
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I think the 30 day shred is supposed to be the 60 day shred in 30 workouts, to give your body sufficient time to recover. I'd suggest holding off any jumping and such until it's healed. You may need to see a Dr. if it doesn't get better soon... just in case you pulled a ligament or something like that. But in the meantime:

For at-home treatments:
    1) Arnica gel (can buy it at grocery stores in the pharmacy area with vitamins)- helps with swelling and pain. Really works.
    2) Epsom salt bath- not sure how it helps, but it does!
    3) Keep it elevated as much as you can.
    4) If you need it, Advil or Tylenol, for pain (wait 24 hours for Advil, since it keeps blood from clotting).
  • pitbullmom87
    Options
    i dont have insurance to go to a dr, therefore, i dont consult a doctor. i hadnt had a problem with my knee since 7th grade until i started the 30ds. i took a day off yesterday to heal up some and then went right back at it today and it still hurt my knee when i was doin the jumping jacks. im determined to lose weight so i am going to keep going. i hope everyone else is having good luck