feeling frustrated

Options
Hello there! My friends and I all decided to start using this program about the same time, and they are all dropping pounds like crazy. Not me! I have been trying to be very good about staying within my allotted calories and have even added exercise into my routine (not so much this week, but I've been fighting a cold). Since we began almost a month ago, they have ALL dropped in excess of 10 pounds. I gained 2 pounds my first week and then lost 2.5 since. So I am only down a pound, and really do not want to ever get on the scale again, since all I want to do is cry. I cannot figure out why this isn't working for me, and just feel like giving up. I am so happy for my friends, but feel like such a failure at this.

Replies

• tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!! It will happen!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Can't really comment unless you make your food diary public so people can see it.
  • skheather
    skheather Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it just takes longer to show a change. If you keep eating right and exercising, it will come off. Hang in there!
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi. I understand your frustration, but hang in there. Losing weight with MFP is really a numbers game. You mentioned exercise. That is my key to weight loss, so you might want to move more. Just walking 15-20 minutes more a day is a great start. On the food side, I've found that when I started I underestimated the number of calories I was eating. I had to weigh and measure everything to make sure I was correctly counting my calories. One more thing. How much weight do you have to lose? If it's not much (say <15 pounds), it takes a bit more time to lose. Finally, you might want to take your measurements. You could be losing inches instead of pounds. During the month of January, I lost only 1.5 pounds, but I lost over 4 inches. Keep working at it. It will get better.
  • thumper67487
    Options
    It will take some time. Increase your workout time by 5 or 10 minutes and shrink your portion size by 25%. Try that for a month and I'm sure you'll get results! Don't be discouraged, be patient, you can do this!
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    Every body is different and loses at different rates based on height, weight, and metabolism. Hang in there - you will succeed.
  • britbrit2416
    britbrit2416 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is normal during weight loss to lose about 1-2lbs per week, healthy as well. If you've lost about 4 lbs this month you're doing great that's one pound a week. Its probably with your friends some of that is water weight which is very common in the start of dieting. Keep up the good work and stay motivated!
  • whallvr
    whallvr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! Try not to compare yourself to your friends-I know that is hard.
    Drink more water. I have increased water and gave up diet soda, and it really jump started my weight loss again.
    And I really don't feel very hungry very often.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Just chill out and keep punching.
    And make sure you're on track by following the MFP recommendations.

This is a great place to get started on a wonderful journey.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.

AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • MzGreedii
    Options
    Don't Give up. I started the first week of January and lost 5lbs, then I added exercise, and everything came to a screeching halt. I saw other members on here saying that happened to them, so i decided to stay focused. For two weeks I didn't lose anything, i actually packed on a pound. Here I am going into my fifth week and have lost 2lbs this week. So keep focused and the pounds will start to come off.
  • resolu
    resolu Posts: 12
    Options
    It's hard to help without knowing more about you, but this is what I've learned. Everyone loses weight differently. For me, someone who'd dieted and yo-yoed for so many years, keeping my metabolism going is key. I'm also a believer that it's not your calories but what your calories consist of. For instance, if you have 100 calories but most of those calories are from fat, you're hurting yourself. Find someone you can talk to where you're comfortable giving a little more information. You'll find your way. Definitely don't starve yourself. A lot of new dieters just stop eating, which is not good at all. Just don't give up!!!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It took me almost a month to really convince the scale to start moving. Sometimes you just have to keep working it. The body doesn't change all at once.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    People with more weight to lose will lose faster than people with less weight to lose. Perhaps that's not you and your friends case though.

Under-estimating portions/calories eaten and/or over-estimating calories burned are usually the cause for very slow loss. (Of course there could be certain health issues that slow loss as well.) Weigh and measure everything, in the very beginning especially.

Also if your sodium is high you'll retain more water.
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi. I understand your frustration, but hang in there. Losing weight with MFP is really a numbers game. You mentioned exercise. That is my key to weight loss, so you might want to move more. Just walking 15-20 minutes more a day is a great start. On the food side, I've found that when I started I underestimated the number of calories I was eating. I had to weigh and measure everything to make sure I was correctly counting my calories. One more thing. How much weight do you have to lose? If it's not much (say <15 pounds), it takes a bit more time to lose. Finally, you might want to take your measurements. You could be losing inches instead of pounds. During the month of January, I lost only 1.5 pounds, but I lost over 4 inches. Keep working at it. It will get better.

^----this! great advice! Good Luck and dont give up! :smile:
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    also... are these friends guys? it's just not a fair comparison...
  • grimacy
    grimacy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you read through all of the great posts and all of the great advice. You have to focus on YOU and not how everyone else is doing. Easy for me to say, but it is true. Everyone loses and changes in different ways and the scale is not the tell all. Where will you be if you give up? Back to square one. Where will you be if you keep trying everyday...way better off and you will never know what you can accomplish if you quit. Quitting is too easy....don't do it!! Surround yourself with positive winners, talk to yourself with positive comments and reach out to friends who will support you. I wish you all the best.

Bridget
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    You might want to make sure you're calculating your allotted calories correctly. Just check with a few different calculators online and get a good average. I used several different calculators and ended up settling on 1400 cals per day before exercise. The trick is to have a slight calorie deficit... don't go too low. From what I've read, about 500 calories below maintenance is good.

And then, make sure you know how much you are actually eating. So, definitely use a good digital kitchen scale. It's very easy to underestimate, and even overestimate.

Also, what exercise are you doing? Increase your exercise some. If you're walking, try run/walking. Add in some body weight or strength training. Because once you've been doing something for a while, your body can adapt a little. Also, if you lose weight you can lose lean body mass, and this is another reason to add in weights... increasing the muscle that burns fat.

If you're closer to your ideal weight than your friends then you are going to lose it more slowly. Plus, the body fights to maintain homeostasis either way.
  • cbn711
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the support! I am not going to quit, but I do hope to see some changes soon. I admit I am an instant gratification kind of person, and although typically not competitive in nature, I don't like being the only one in my group of friends to not succeed. As I tell my students all the time "Today is a new day!"
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink enough water! They suggest 8 cups a day, but I didn't start really losing weight until I went up to 100 ounces a day. Water helps you lose weight in so many ways... It also helps keep your system running smoothly, it helps keep your complexion clear, it flushes toxins out of your body, and if you drink it ice cold, burns calories. Everyone thinks I'm insane for drinking so much water, but now that I'm used to it, I can't go without it! It keeps the "water weight" down at TOM too. And for every diet soda or caffeinated beverage I drink, I drink equal amount of water. These have chemicals in them that can make you gain weight, surprisingly enough. Research shows that drinkers of diet soda tend to put on weight!

Water is the best diet drink in the world!
  • cindyhitchins
    cindyhitchins Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't give up a friend of mine is going through the same thing, maybe try drinking more water
    the slower you lose it the better i think....but do not quit it will pay off, we are all behind you!