Polar FT7? And max HR?

Options
hi I have a polar FT7 and in the settings it had my max Hr set at 185. My question is, during my kickboxing class my HR can go up to 190. Should I up the max HR in the settings to get an accurate calorie burned for that hour of class? It just seemed so high... 700 calories burned in that one hr?? I am 210 lbs, 35 yrs old and 5'3.

Thanks

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    yes you should
    i understand that your hrm set the hr max based on the formula that involves your age...
    mine hrm according to formula is 192, but in reality it's 200...

just use the highest hr you've seen on your hrm, or to be on the safe side add like 5
    then you can be almost sure you don't overestimate...
  • kasicrawford
    Options
    Yeah I upped it to 210 for the max, and I will see how that goes... I don't want to think I am burning more calories than I really am...

• t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    700 calories for an hour actually doesn't seem that far-fetched considering your weight and how high your heart rate goes during the class.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Been using the FT4 for a year. My understanding is that the max HR is the maximum recommended healthy heart-rate (220 - age) which for you would be 185. I don't think brief spells over max HR are damaging, and I'm sure most athletes go way over when competing. I don't think you should change your max HR, so that you are aware of exceeding it - any engine over-revving too long will malfunction...

Regards, David