Tendinitis Help!

Options
This is the 2nd time I am suffering from tendinitis. 3 months ago I saw an ortho. surgeon. He gave me a cortisone shot and an x-ray. I stopped bi-cep curls. Only do hammer lifts and have been doing push-ups for years. It's only my left elbow, wrist forearm. The at home re-hab exercises he gave me does not work. It's again at the point of extreme pain and I can't even lift a coffe pot in the morning.

I'm going back to see the same ortho. next week, who just said it's tennis elbow. I have to see the same ortho. to get my MRI results because he would not give them to me over the phone (I know x-rays don't view soft tissue).

Has anyone had this that can give me suggestions to prevent it happening again. This ortho. had a very "hurried" attitude. Tried asking him questions but had a cavalier attitude. "It's tennis elbow-it happens" (I don't play tennis. He said it;s the wrist that is injured which causes the pain in the elbow.

I would hate to give up weight lifting. I don't lift heavy (15 pounds). How many cortisone shots did anyone need before this stops? If it ever will? Any at home re-hab suggestions, besides the obvious of not weight lifting? Should I ask the ortho. for a muscle relaxer? Someone suggested this. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I would ask for a different doctor! But yes, a muscle relaxant might help while you are healing... and physical therapy (NOT the kind at home... the kind in an office) would probably be a huge benefit.
  • alikat5544
    alikat5544 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had tendinitis and bursitis in my shoulder. I'd take my arthritis pain in both knees at the same time instead of tendinitis. I feel for you! I got a cortisone shot, rested it, did pt at home, and took an anti-inflammatory. Also, try an ice hot patch and ice when not using the patch, Oh and get a new ortho. Doctors forget that they need their patients just as much as we need them.
  • gloriashaped
    Options
    I would ask for a different doctor! But yes, a muscle relaxant might help while you are healing... and physical therapy (NOT the kind at home... the kind in an office) would probably be a huge benefit.

Thanks. I'm only going back to him because he won't give the MRI results over the phone. Otherwise, after this visit I'll see another doctor. I also think it's b***t that doctors make you come in for test results-another co-payment and charge to insurance co. And, ask about a good P/T.
  • gloriashaped
    Options
    I had tendinitis and bursitis in my shoulder. I'd take my arthritis pain in both knees at the same time instead of tendinitis. I feel for you! I got a cortisone shot, rested it, did pt at home, and took an anti-inflammatory. Also, try an ice hot patch and ice when not using the patch, Oh and get a new ortho. Doctors forget that they need their patients just as much as we need them.

Ouch! Both tendinitis and bursitis. I tried an ice patch too. I agree about some of these doctors. I also feel bad for folks who have no health insurance.
  • InTenn
    InTenn Posts: 99
    Options
    I used to have a problem with tennis elbow, usually from fishing (casting and cranking... back when I attacked everything I did). Two things I did that really helped me. (1) Ice. It didn't make it feel better right away, but the next day, I could tell the difference, sometimes significant. (2) Okay, this sounds stupid but I read it somewhere and it really helped. If you sleep with your arms under your head (or pillow), especially if you bend your elbows, stop it. Both things cause the tendon to stretch across the elbow contributing to the irritation and pain. I learned to sleep with my arms sticking sideways or under the pillow but straight, and it made an amazing difference. Of course, I'm not giving medical advice, but it sure helped me (and it's free).
  • gloriashaped
    Options
    I'm getting more advice on this forum then my 20 minute visit with the doctor. Thanks! Happy fishing ::))))))
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with tennis elbow, usually from fishing (casting and cranking... back when I attacked everything I did). Two things I did that really helped me. (1) Ice. It didn't make it feel better right away, but the next day, I could tell the difference, sometimes significant. (2) Okay, this sounds stupid but I read it somewhere and it really helped. If you sleep with your arms under your head (or pillow), especially if you bend your elbows, stop it. Both things cause the tendon to stretch across the elbow contributing to the irritation and pain. I learned to sleep with my arms sticking sideways or under the pillow but straight, and it made an amazing difference. Of course, I'm not giving medical advice, but it sure helped me (and it's free).

Hmmmm... I occasionally get elbow pain. Nothing extreme or anything, but I wonder if this is the cause! Thanks!
  • kikina
    kikina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i ha dpain that stoped me from being able to hold a pen, went to doc had therapy it made it worse.. the doc wanted to do surgery right away. when i went to his pT i found people that had been there 2yrs after surgery.. i left them asap!!

went to another doc he too was hurried didn't explain much but sen t me to a very very good pt she was excellent i stopped carring four grocery bags on my righ t arm i ended up sleeping with a removable hard cast (as i do sleep with elbos bent under pillow)
    But what the Pt did for me she kept wanting to work on my neck and i said no it's my arm and elbow but she kept insisting
    when i finally let her work on my neck and shouldrs my arm released it's the weirdest thing!!

i can tell when i over do it so i try to back off when i've abbused my arm again and i try to stretch my back and not to carry my tension there.

lay down on the foam rollerand do angel wings this helped alot (i know it sound wierd) but try that
  • gloriashaped
    Options
    No suggestions are weird, at this point.
    And, it is also starting to affect my neck because my body is leaning away from my left side /injured side.

An FYI from m,y family doc-taking too much ibuprofen can cause ulcers and you must drink a lot of water for your kidneys. I laid off of them.