Bad News For me

Options
Hello All,
Today I went to the doctor and they finally told me that I am developing high blood pressure. They measured it several times and the lowest reading was 165/110. This is very disappointing for me. I have to say, it is perhaps the worst news I have ever gotten. Just wanted to let you know.

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Well today is the first day of the rest of your life. You CAN turn this around. I had a cholesteral level of over 300 when I started here. Now I am off all meds and it is just below 200.

diet and exercise can change your life.

:flowerforyou: Jeannei
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    We are all here for you and you can do this!!! The good thing about high blood pressure is you can change the course of it, and this website and us can be a big help to you.
    Hugs!!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Back in March I was at my parents house and took my blood pressure. It was 174 / 110. I went to the doctor a few days later and he confirmed it, yep, high blood pressure.

It was one of the best days of my life.

There was my motivation, along with my 2 year old son and my wife, kicking me in the butt to do something about my health. So I was pointed towards MFP by one of my co-workers. THANK HEAVENS!!!

So really, try to look at it as an early warning. At least you didn't find out about it by having a stroke or worse, know what I mean?

Here's to both of us coming back to normal BP! Good luck man.
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Sorry you are disappointed...BUT you can change it and turn it around! Don't give up! We are all rooting for you!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Hello All,
    Today I went to the doctor and they finally told me that I am developing high blood pressure. They measured it several times and the lowest reading was 165/110. This is very disappointing for me. I have to say, it is perhaps the worst news I have ever gotten. Just wanted to let you know.

Hey, I'm with you. Imagine being told you have high blood pressure at the age of 25. But, I think I'm doing well. I'm still on medication, but instead of getting readings of around 120/80, I'm now starting to get readings of 110/70... it's just about time to go back to see the doc about getting off these meds. Or at least lowering the dosage.

Get your exercise, and make sure you eat lots and lots of fruits, veggies, low fat dairy and whole grains. I recommend reading up on the DASH diet... it's a whole foods kind of diet that focuses on getting a lot of calcium, potassium, and magnesium from the food you eat to help naturally lower your blood pressure. It's been tested by real doctors too.

You can do this!
  • goldsguy
    goldsguy Posts: 58
    Options
    Hey buddy, I have High Blood pressure and Diabetes. I look at it as a challenge, not not a defeat. Exercise and diet can overcome it. Genetics may put things in the way of your goals, but you CAN BEAT THIS
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    words of advice: seek Holistic medicine, it will help you far more than the prescription the doctors will try to give you. I hope it all works out.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Like others have said at least you know before something bad happens. My dad's cardiologist recommended increasing your potassium intake as well as lowering you sodium. You'll have the blood pressure down in no time.:flowerforyou:
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    My doctor put me on Beta blockers (atenolol I think) It was the short term boost I needed until I changed my health myself.

But to each their own...
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    You Can do it Man, One thing about high blood pressure you can brang it down its not terminal in less you dont change your sodim intake, Good look Man:drinker: :drinker:
  • Sameerah
    Sameerah Posts: 16
    Options
    I had high blood pressure too. Doctors don't tell you but (and Sparky is right), hbp meds lead to other ailments like kidney failure over time, and you don't want to be on a dialysis machine either. My high blood pressure is gone now. What I did was I started out drinking nothing but water, cutting down the salt intake and eating little to no fried foods or foods with high fats. Yoga is another good way to lower bp too. Good luck with it, and I'll pray for you!
  • beckythebunny122
    beckythebunny122 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband had really high BP and cholestorol eighteen months ago. We took cooking classes and learned how to change what we were eating and started walking more. (He also gave up his eating-an-entire-pepperoni-pizza-for-lunch and three-mcdonalds-meals-for-dinner).

Now, he is only slightly elevated for both AND he's lost almost 20 pounds. Better yet, he can walk upstairs in our house without stopping for breath!

You can do it! And you'll feel soooo much better once it gets under control!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I had high blood pressure too. Doctors don't tell you but (and Sparky is right), hbp meds lead to other ailments like kidney failure over time, and you don't want to be on a dialysis machine either. My high blood pressure is gone now. What I did was I started out drinking nothing but water, cutting down the salt intake and eating little to no fried foods or foods with high fats. Yoga is another good way to lower bp too. Good luck with it, and I'll pray for you!

I would be curious to know what scientific evidence you have to support the statement that HBP meds leads to kidney failure..etc. Many people who have HBP have other issues that can contribute to these conditions, but saying there is a cause and effect relationship between HBP meds and kidney failure is stretching the facts way beyond what can be stated, and could dissuade someone who needs screening for HBP from getting it.

The increased likelihood of STROKE for those who have untreated HBP is a far greater concern than any kidney failure. Of course, one of the best ways to decrease ones blood pressure is by losing weight and limiting sodium intake.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    My hubby has been on blood pressure meds for a couple years - he's now lost 45 pounds and his doc is planning on taking him off this month--you can do it too
  • chgudnitz
    Options

I would be curious to know what scientific evidence you have to support the statement that HBP meds leads to kidney failure..etc. Many people who have HBP have other issues that can contribute to these conditions, but saying there is a cause and effect relationship between HBP meds and kidney failure is stretching the facts way beyond what can be stated, and could dissuade someone who needs screening for HBP from getting it.

The increased likelihood of STROKE for those who have untreated HBP is a far greater concern than any kidney failure. Of course, one of the best ways to decrease ones blood pressure is by losing weight and limiting sodium intake.

I too would love to see the evidence to that statement. Before I started taking HBP meds I researched the medical studies and found no mention of a significant (measurable) risk of kidney failure. Before we begin trying to discourage the use of potentially life saving medication, I think we should have some concrete data to support.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on holistic treatment, but don't push opinion as fact onto people that are trying to improve their health. IMO of course... :indifferent:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Write that number down and post it everywhere!! Make it a motivation! Keep thinking about how you are going to come on here and post good results! Keep at it!
  • ophedian
    ophedian Posts: 78
    Options
    Thanks Guys,
    I am glad to see that many people on this site have battled it and won. I DEFINITELY full intend to do something about it. Especially after I saw the tears in my wife's eyes. She lost a very close friend to a heart attack. So for her, it was an even bigger scare of losing her husband as well. I am going to definitely do something about it.
  • mjxlane
    mjxlane Posts: 5
    Options
    I have had this same thing happen to me last week. I am 31 and on blood pressure medicine. I can't wait for the day that I can come back on this site and say that I am off the meds. Cholesterol too. Here we go. I am with you.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options

I too would love to see the evidence to that statement. Before I started taking HBP meds I researched the medical studies and found no mention of a significant (measurable) risk of kidney failure. Before we begin trying to discourage the use of potentially life saving medication, I think we should have some concrete data to support.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on holistic treatment, but don't push opinion as fact onto people that are trying to improve their health. IMO of course... :indifferent:

This is what I know. The POSSIBLE long term side effects of being on BP medication are far outweighed by the VERY LIKELY long term effects of leaving high blood pressure untreated. However, my doctor runs kidney panels on me at least once a year to make sure that my kidneys are not being adversely affected by my meds, so this leads me to believe that yes, long term use can damage internal organs.
    The best route, I believe, is to be on the meds to control the high blood pressure and then take steps to naturally lower it to a sustainable level without the meds. This should be done under a doctor's supervision, and you should never "go off" your meds without talking to your doctor first.
  • Sameerah
    Sameerah Posts: 16
    Options

This is what I know. The POSSIBLE long term side effects of being on BP medication are far outweighed by the VERY LIKELY long term effects of leaving high blood pressure untreated. However, my doctor runs kidney panels on me at least once a year to make sure that my kidneys are not being adversely affected by my meds, so this leads me to believe that yes, long term use can damage internal organs.
    The best route, I believe, is to be on the meds to control the high blood pressure and then take steps to naturally lower it to a sustainable level without the meds. This should be done under a doctor's supervision, and you should never "go off" your meds without talking to your doctor first.

The reason I said that is because an MD told me that when I kept asking the question. He/She finally told me yes, with longterm use of HBP meds, it is possible that your kidneys can be damaged. I've also done tons of research on hbp meds. All you have to do is look up in the library or net the ingredients in your medicine, then research each ingredient. Then you would research the effects of those ingredients.
    I should have also included that I did take my medicine for about 2 or three months before I got off of them by eating healthier. Yes, do consult your doctor before deciding what to do when coming off the medicines.
    Of course, all of the risks that come along with untreated high blood pressure is far worse than the chances of having kidney failure, but it is also ALWAYS good to do research for your own knowledge and your OWN body.