Vegetable Dip ideas???

Options
I need some new ideas for veggie dip. I've tried the packaged low fat/cal veggie dips and have used the low cal dressings - does anyone do anything different? I need something that isn't going to add too many calories. My favorite veggies to dip are carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and celery.

Replies

• Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    HUMMUS!!!! It's delicious and low cal and comes in all kinds of fun flavors!

My favorite is the hummus with horseradish from Trader Joes! It tastes like I'm eating a Bloomin' onion from Outback, but about 2000 calories less!:laugh:
  • Kamille84
    Kamille84 Posts: 32
    Options
    Hummus! I love it with my carrots and it's a good source of protein and fiber. Here's a recipe I use;

http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/featured-brands/hummus.aspx

It does have 60 calories per 2 tablespoons, so I always measure a serving before I dig in.
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    I need some new ideas for veggie dip. I've tried the packaged low fat/cal veggie dips and have used the low cal dressings - does anyone do anything different? I need something that isn't going to add too many calories. My favorite veggies to dip are carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and celery.

You can make your own dip using Plain Greek Yogurt. It is creamy and yummy. Just add your favorite flavors like garlic, onion, etc. It's fun to get creative with it. That's what I do...lol

For example have done it with

Taco seasoning

I have grated an onion and garlic into it and added chives

I have added Parm cheese

The possibilities are so many.
  • tucson2
    tucson2 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hope you'll try this hummus recipe, adjust the ingredients as needed.
    Adapted from: http://mideastfood.about.com/od/appetizerssnacks/r/hummusbitahini.htm

Ingredients:
    1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
    1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
    1/3 cup lemon juice (depending on taste)
    2 tablespoons tahini (important ingredient,don't substitute, but may be omitted)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons cumin
    dash of red pepper flakes
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Preparation:
    Drain chickpeas and save liquid from can.
    Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor.
    Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas.
    Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.

Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.

Variations: Add pine nuts, cilantro, sun-dried tomatoes, or roasted red peppers to recipe.

Serve with: Cut vegetables, crackers, pita triangles.

To make pita triangles: Cut up some pita bread into triangles. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

Suggestions:
    Serve with garnish of parsley or sprinkle paprika on top.
    Serve with thinly sliced carrots and celery tucked together on the side.
    Use as spread in place of mayonnaise.

Storing Hummus:
    Hummus can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
    It can be kept in the freezer for up to one month.
    If the hummus appears to be too dry, add a little olive oil to it.
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    I have also used the Fage greek yogart - you can add fresh spring onions and just a dash of salt - then let it drain for about an hour if you want it to be a bit thicker. It is really good and good for you (hummus is also great) :glasses: