weight all came back

Options
I have been at this new diet thing a month. I lost five pounds of weight (mostly water). I only eat 1300 calories a day lots of fruits and veggies. cut coke down to once week sometimes twice no chocalate except fiber one bars which are low in calories. not much eating out. i excercise five days a week a mixture of zumba, weights, stretching, walking and other cardio. yet in all this time i have managed to gain everything but a pound back. i drink over eight glasses of water a day. in all this time i have lost no fat inches from by belly thighs or hips (i measure twice weekly). in truth i have no results and am back to where i started even though i am doing everything right. really starting to seem pointless.

Replies

• lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    please open up your diary so we can take a closer look at what's going on....
  • Carolkdougherty
    Options
    Are you sure you're keeping track of everything you're eating. Little things can really count up. I had a sub sandwich recently - 780 calories! No more; not worth it. Try to step back and reevaluate what has been happening, then decide on your plan and pursue it. Also, remember that trying is so much better than just doing nothing.
  • dryteway
    dryteway Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. That was me about 4 months ago. I recommend you get a complete physical if you haven't done so already - just to check to see if all is okay. I believe if you make small simple changes each week you will see the weight loss results happen. Don't focus so much on losing weight rather focus on getting healthy. I was experiencing the same thing four months ago. Lose 5 pounds, put 4 back on, and so forth. Then I decided to take small simple changes. Each week, I added something new. I began by eating a very healthy breakfast, sensible lunch and dinner and little snacks (fruit, nuts, grains) twice a day. I took the stairs instead of the elevators at work, switched up my exercise regularly and most importantly, I cut out the sugar in my diet, got rid of the white flours and sugars and sodas. I switched to whole wheat, meat is now a treat and not a daily food item, water is my only liquid (now I do treat myself to a diet soda or a glass of wine about once a month). Since October 2011, I have lost 19 pounds - i'm still amazed. Keep a daily diary - it will help you stay on track. Just hang in their and focus. You can do it!!
  • UltraRoyal
    Options
    You may be missing the small things....and boy do the small things add up. while dieting I would recommend cutting out the coke totally....make that commitment......theres no halfing it. Its Not good for you at ALL. And remember even healthy foods in excess can add up the calories or fat. And the biggest thing of all.....give it time, just like putting on the weight to time, so does taking it off. When your working out, make sure that you are breaking a sweat, or else you are not pushing yourself....and as your body adjust, you must step it up a level and work it even harder. Best of luck, I was in that boat not to long ago. Stick to it and tweek those little changes, tht will bring results.
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Cutting out diet coke and sugarless lollies helped me, they have so much sodium in them that the scales go up. Putting only the tiniest pinch of salt in pasta helped, as did cooking veggies in the pasta.
  • rlwart
    rlwart Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too. I think for every five I lose I either gain them all back or one comes back. I'm hypothyroid. My dr. said "I've never met a skinny hypothyroid person" --- yeah thanks for that!

So far I've lost 7 but I suspect I've gained one back. And last year I think I lost 20 and then they came back. But whatever. The point for me is I must try to be healthy. Maybe I don't lose like other people but I can run for 90 seconds this week. I'm ridiculously strong and have good muscles.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too. I think for every five I lose I either gain them all back or one comes back. I'm hypothyroid. My dr. said "I've never met a skinny hypothyroid person" --- yeah thanks for that!

My mom is hypothyroid and she's super thin. There is hope. :heart:
  • Alceriniel
    Options
    Could you be retaining water for your (Boys don't look!) monthly cycle? I had that problem just recently, I bloated out (even while drinking water!) right before my period started. All my wonderful progress, GONE! But as soon as my cycle started it all went away again.

Do you keep a record of your moon cycle? If it is at all regular, you might find that this is the issue, especially if you suddenly started working out regularly after having a previously sedentary lifestyle. It just takes awhile for your body to adjust. :) Over time, you will experience less bloating, and your cramps/periods will become lighter as well.
  • martina123321
    Options
    Are you sure you're keeping track of everything you're eating. Little things can really count up. I had a sub sandwich recently - 780 calories! No more; not worth it. Try to step back and reevaluate what has been happening, then decide on your plan and pursue it. Also, remember that trying is so much better than just doing nothing.

totally right!!
  • Bohemiangrace
    Bohemiangrace Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would give it more time. I noticed that if I weigh myself on Mondays, I'm still carrying the "cheat" weight I ate during the weekend. So, I switched to Thursday. This serves two purposes: 1 being that I have burned or gotten rid of the weekend weight and the weight loss I have made (from as little as half a pound to 2 pounds) encourages me to not cheat as much as I would if I was disappointed in myself.

Hope this helps.

a.
  • bjsquires
    bjsquires Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!

It is very frustrating but it does take time!! I agree that you need to make sure that you are keeping track of every little thing you put in your mouth. For me it has been difficult in measuring... Maybe trying to make small adjustments each week in your food/exercise/water.

Feel free to add me as your friend for support!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Well, the gain could be water weight so don't get discouraged. Not only does your period often cause water weight gain but so does exercise. Especially when you're new to it. When your muscles are worked hard, they repair themselves. As part of the repair process, the muscles retain extra water for awhile. This is especially true for weight lifting. As long as you continue to increase your work-outs as your strength and endurance increase, this will keep happening but will probably became less obvious to you as time goes on.

Also, you can't just go by waist/hip/thigh measurements. At first I also thought I wasn't losing inches. And then I realized that all my shirts were getting too big and the legs on my pants were getting baggier around my legs. Most of my initial loss of inches was coming from above the waist and from about mid-thigh down. The next place I noticed was from my waist, then my hips, and then finally from my thighs. After I thought about it, this made sense as my hips and thighs are the first place I notice a gain as well. I'm guessing that our trouble spots where we store most of our weight is probably the most stubborn area to start losing inches from.

As for your diet, there are a lot of great discussions here at MFP about cyling (or zig-zagging) your calories, having spike days, increasing/decreasing the percentage of carbs, protein or fats, how to break through a plateau, etc. I'm not going to give you specific advice that's best for you because you won't know until you try some of them. And I don't mean try for a few days either. Pick a method and try it for at least a few weeks before you re-evaluate.

I remember when I first re-started losing weight (after an initial 35# loss I maintained for awhile due to an injury that left me virtually bed-ridden for awhile). I was very frustrated at first because it took me 2 weeks to lose just 1# even though, like you, I believed I was doing everything right. Some tweaking and continued focus has made a huge difference. I'm still a relatively slow loser but I'm also not eating in a way that makes me feel deprived and am getting so much fitter that the inches are starting to really melt off.

Anyway, be patient, stay focused, and it will happen.