Any real estate agents here?

Options
The woman who was our agent when i bought this house 10 months ago called me today and asked me if I had interest in becoming an agent. Even back then she said I might make a good agent. She is NOT a realtor. Anyway, I was laid off after 20 years at FOX TV, and now am looking for a job that allows me flexibility in my schedule. Honestly, I don't want to work more than 30 hours a week.

I am currently a SAHD, but I own a small DJ business. I want to keep my DJ business, and I like being with my kids after school.

The market here is just starting to pick up. I don't need this job for immediate income. I'm hoping that I could learn slowly, and maybe in about a year, be able to make decent PT money.

Thoughts?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    I was an agent and I liked it.

If you know the area and you have a source of clients (like a large social network) you will do well. It's all about being a self-starter. It's a great career if you are that. A lot of up-front costs, though, so be aware.

Good luck. What area are you in?
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    I'm west of Philadelphia by 15 miles.
  • papa3x
    Options
    bumping

BTW, meeting a realtor on Monday to discuss my taking the classes again.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I work in a RE office and do a lot of assisting work for agents (anything that can be done without a license).

Even here in Seattle where the market didn't drop as badly as some places, it is not a great time to become a realtor. I would make sure you know a lot about what you are getting into, have a lot of savings (and since you're still planning on running your business and other money is coming in I imagine you'll be okay). There are a lot of realtor dues, MLS dues, brokerage fees, etc you must pay for to keep your license.

GL with whatever you decide.
  • ivanaaaaaaaaa
    Options
    i'm in the mortgage business and my main source of business are realtors and past clients. real estate business can be very exciting, stressful, fun, you can make a lot of money... you'll meet a ton of people from all kinds of backgrounds, which is one of the parts i love working in the business. however, definitely keep your dj job and make sure you have the financial means to support yourself for up to 6 months minimum. guidelines change every day and be prepared to lose a lot of contracts when your clients can't qualify. focus on constantly building your pipeline and whatever you do, do not focus on whatever deals you have at the time. if a deal falls through, you better be sure you have a new one to replace it. this is where most people mess up - they start counting on every deal as a paycheck that's coming.

my suggestion would be to do the following:

- figure out where you would get your business from - you're gonna have to make sure you have a constant source of new clients

- do some research on mortgage people in your area; keep in mind that banks only have a handful of products and your people will either fit (if they have great credit, down payment, etc) or they won't; i suggest looking for a mortgage broker who you'll be able to send your great and not so great clients, develop a relationship with that person and work together as a team. a lot of people make a mistake of working with a bank person who they send their good clients and send their not-so-perfect clients to a mortgage broker cause we can do all kinds of magic with credit, offer 10 times more products and have dozens of lenders/banks we can work with. eventually, after he/she proves himself/herself, they will get tired of only getting your not-so-perfect clients and they will fade out and find someone else to work with. remember: as much as that mortgage person needs you to send them the business, you need them even more to turn those contracts into closed deals. once you develop a relationship with a great mortgage person, that person will take your calls and prequalify your people 24/7.

- how are you going to put your name out there and advertise? you're going to need good looking business cards, signs and flyers. for business cards, i always use vistaprint and if you google "vistaprint coupon" you can find coupons as much as 85% off your orders. the company you work for should provide you with signs, even though you may have to pay for them. flyers also may be provided to you by your company, with or without cost. this can get very expensive, so keep in mind that just about any (good) mortgage person will print you all the flyers you want for free if you let them put their info on the flyer. that way, when someone is interested in one of your properties, they will call your mortgage person to get prequalified before you start spending hundreds of dollars of gas on them.

- when a client calls you about a property, even though you may feel awkward about it, always get them to get prequalified before setting up any appointments to look at houses. meeting at your office, etc is ok if you want to get to know them, etc, but those miles and gas money will add up if you're not careful. the best way to handle this is, when a new client calls you, tell them whether the house they;re interested is available, or if they don't have one picked out, tell them you'll be more than happy to help them. then just casually ask them which bank or mortgage person they are working with. if they're working with someone, ask them what kind of a price range they've been prequalified for and ultimately get their mortgage person's contact info or just ask the client to get you a copy of their preapproval letter - you will need one to make an offer on any property. if they tell you they're not working with anyone, give them the contact info for your mortgage person and tell them to call him/her to see what they would qualify for, so you can find them some properties in that price range. to avoid hurting their feelings until you get the hang of it, don't tell them to call and see*if* they qualify, but *how much* they qualify for. if they end up not qualifying, either they or your mortgage person will let you know (without discussing the specifics).

- i would also definitely make sure you have your own website, use an email address such as you@yourname.com and if you can afford it, get a separate business line. with the amount of calls you'll (hopefully) be getting, you're going to want to keep your personal and work calls separate, otherwise you'll go crazy. :noway:

sorry, i got a little carried away.. you can tell i love what i do and i've been doing it for a while now. hahaha

if you have any other questions, just ask :smile:
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    The market here is just starting to pick up. I don't need this job for immediate income. I'm hoping that I could learn slowly, and maybe in about a year, be able to make decent PT money.

Thoughts?

Based on personal experience, "PT" and Real Estate agent do not go hand and hand. There is a lot more involved to being a real estate agent than most home buyers/sellers realize. You will spend countless hours working with no guarantee of a paycheck. I got some pretty big checks, but they weren't very impressive when broken down to an hourly wage.

Another thing you mentioned that concerns me is your desire to have flexibility in your schedule. If YOUR schedule is your primary concern, you are not going to be very successful. The client does not care about your schedule. If you can not show the property when potential buyers want to see it, or when it is convenient for the sellers, you will get replaced quickly.

The only real estate agents that have a flexible schedule or work PT are the ones that put many years in to get a very strong customer base. They are typically successful enough to have assistants, which allows them to have a flexible PT schedule.
  • papa3x
    Options

Thoughts?

Based on personal experience, "PT" and Real Estate agent do not go hand and hand. There is a lot more involved to being a real estate agent than most home buyers/sellers realize. You will spend countless hours working with no guarantee of a paycheck. I got some pretty big checks, but they weren't very impressive when broken down to an hourly wage.

Another thing you mentioned that concerns me is your desire to have flexibility in your schedule. If YOUR schedule is your primary concern, you are not going to be very successful. The client does not care about your schedule. If you can not show the property when potential buyers want to see it, or when it is convenient for the sellers, you will get replaced quickly.

The only real estate agents that have a flexible schedule or work PT are the ones that put many years in to get a very strong customer base. They are typically successful enough to have assistants, which allows them to have a flexible PT schedule.

Thanks... I am fortunate enough that my wife makes a 6 figure income, and I have my DJ business. So, realistically, I can get by just fine like I am. I'm more wanting to do this from going crazy after being laid off 3 years from working foe 19 years at FOX TV. Financial reasons are nit a huge motivation. Really, I like to be out and about among people.... as you may guess by my being a DJ.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I am fortunate enough that my wife makes a 6 figure income, and I have my DJ business. So, realistically, I can get by just fine like I am. I'm more wanting to do this from going crazy after being laid off 3 years from working foe 19 years at FOX TV. Financial reasons are nit a huge motivation. Really, I like to be out and about among people.... as you may guess by my being a DJ.

That is awesome that you have that type of financial flexibility. That being said, your time flexibility could still become an issue if you are taking on listings of your own. My suggestion would be to seek out an agent that is looking to add to or start a team. Some offer a slice of the pie and others pay an hourly wage. All of the listens would be under his/her name. It is a great way to learn the business if you don't need the big paycheck at the close of each deal. Of course you need to discuss the hours you can work to make sure you are a good fit for them. Good luck