Cycling in Snow?

Options
I work a second job on Saturdays and the best and easiest way to get there is to cycle. We've just had a small snow fall, but I live where they don't know how to handle it an we are in a deep freeze, so probably no melting and hardly treated roads. You hard cor bike riders out there....safety suggestions?

Replies

• MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Riding in snow is not much different than riding on wet pavement. New snow that packs underfoot is not slick at all (IMO). Ice is another story. Stay off of icy roads. dangerous for you in two ways, you can't stop, and neither can cars.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Just hope you ride knobbys.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I live near Chicago and when I cycle in the snow I either 1) Slightly deflate my tires (I have a road bike) or 2) change to a wider tire. Clean your bike often....all that salt and sludge doesn't do your bike a lot of good. Keep her lubed and clean and she'll treat you well. Have fun!!!
  • purseus
    Options
    All I have to say is be super careful I do this sort of thing all the time if you have a mountain bike you can get studded tires for it
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Dress for success. If it's cold out there, for Pete's sake be ready for it. Mittens are a plus. Listen while you ride. Make sure you're focusing on knowing where cars are all around you. You never know when that car behind you might be fishtailing, if you're not aware of it. Bike for safety, not for speed, or a workout, or being in the zone, or any of that. Be ready for emergencies. Spend some extra time checking your bike over before you take it out. A flat would really suck... What are your tires like? Good in snow mud rain etc, I would hope. How are your bike handling skills? Hopefully on the superior side of things.

Have you ever ridden in snow before? You may want to go out there and try it out before deciding yes/no to this idea.

Hope this helps.
  • jillomahony
    jillomahony Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I have cycled before in snow....and it is just not that safe. Add to that that it is -12 this morning and I cancelled the english lessons I was going to give. They can wait until next Saturday and hopefully better weather, or at least clearer roads! Instead, I'll strap on the running shoes!