HRM limitations

Options
I feel that I am not getting a sufficient enough representation of the calories I burn daily through the calorie counter. I was wondering if heart rate monitors are accurate when worn in 24 hour periods? Has anyone tried this and feel as though the calories the HRM reports are adequate?

Replies

• Bombbombgo
    Options
    I was actually just wondering today whether it would be benificial to wear an hrm for a day...

Great question!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hrms lose accuracy at lower heart rates, so it probably wouldn't work for what you want. Your better bet is a bodybugg, body for media fit, fitbit, etc. Mfp can connect to fitbit. The body media was just on sale at costco, not sure if it still is.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Hrms lose accuracy at lower heart rates, so it probably wouldn't work for what you want. Your better bet is a bodybugg, body for media fit, fitbit, etc. Mfp can connect to fitbit. The body media was just on sale at costco, not sure if it still is.

Exactly this.

HRM's are only 80% accurate when set up correctly(IE age weight gender height max heart rate and vo2max) and used for steady state cardio(running, walking, biking.. no strength training or intervals).

Things like sitting around all day, wearing them at at work or for household chores can produce a skewed result.