Anyone else whent over by 5000 cals before?

Options
I am soo angry at myself because yesterday due to some stress i ate one thing i should not have been eating and before i knew
i could not hold back and continued eating till i whent to bed lol. i feel so bloated this morning :-(

has anyone else done this before?

i had in mind that i blew my plan so i might as well go ahead and eat whatever i wanted yesterday lol!!!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    That is illogical. If you fall off, you just get back on and continue the calorie deficit plan! To say you've blown it so may as well not bother makes no sense at all.

You had a bad day, now move on and have many good ones.
  • Jessi40
    Jessi40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    More times than I can count! The one thing for me that has worked in the past and that I'm using this time... is to make my goal non-weight loss related. I lost 79 pounds in 04 by making a goal to go to WW every Saturday no matter what... I didn't have to lose weight; but of course I did... and now I'm saying: I don't care what I eat or how I exercise; but I have to log everything down for 2 years on mfp and shockingly, I am losing weight. :)

We all have those speed bumps along the way and they slow us down a bit, but they only really stop us if we give up and keep binging, right?
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Oh yes...! And all you can do it acknowledge it and move on. You can't change the past but you CAN change today :flowerforyou:
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    If that happens once a month it shouldnt be an issue? spike days are allowed! and it's good to trick the body every once in a awhile. 3500 kcal equal a pound so you probably have gained a pound, which you can easily lose. no big deal.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There are certain foods that if I have them in the house I'm going to eat them. So I try not to and make sure I have alternative snacking foods. I really like carrots with humus. It's practically guilt free and I think it's very tasty.

Don't get down on your self, just get up and go again. Good luck
  • WBoulay
    WBoulay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a number of diet restrictions and my doctors all say that its just fine to be bad once in awhile, but just not all the time! Over the holidays i gained a lot of weight being "bad" -- but it comes right off quick as soon as you go back to healthy eating.
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    YES! I actually did that on Monday. I haven't had a day like that since starting MFP and I felt terrible that night, like I wanted to throw up. Thankfully, I felt fine on Tuesday. I don't think I've never had that big of a binge before, or had a worse feeling afterwards, so I'm always going to remember what that felt like in hopes of never doing it again!

Don't beat yourself up about it, there's nothing you can do about it now...just move on! :)
  • ButterflyJourney
    ButterflyJourney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Next time, try getting up and taking a walk (even if a few mnutes) away from the food that is pulling you in. It is easy to make a bad food decsion. What is important is what you've learned from it. IF this is a danger food, do not keep it in your house. Put substitutions there instead: bubble gum; lemon drops or cinnamon hard candies -- you don't want many and it ruins the taste of other items. Danger foods do not belong in your home when you're losing weight (be it cookies; candy; ice cream; cake, chips, crackers, etc.) IF you can't control them, don't bring them in.

Only grocery shop when you're full or eat a banana before you go (drink a big glass of water, etc.). Sometimes I'll grab a bottle of water when I walk in the store. As long as I pay for it, they don't care if it is half consumed while you shop. Or I'll wait in the quickie line to buy a banana and then will promptly eat it. It's a good source of fiber and will keep me full.

What else can you keep arond at home to snack on? air popped popcorn that you make yiourself or Orville Reddenbacher's 94% FF; veggies (pre-cut and placed in baggie already weighed and measured); string cheese; fruit (grapes, apples, oranges, bananas). Anything that satisfies your need to munch on something. Make it a healthy something next time.

My danger food is candy. I love it all. I keep lemon drops, bubble gum, Haribo gummy bears in my house. No other sweets allowed in.

Reconigze what your danger food(s) are and don't bring them into the house. Put up a begining photo of yourself. This will keep you focused. I have my beginning photo in numerous places (home; work; car; iphone, etc.). Keeps me focused.
  • gatorprof
    Options
    I did the same thing yesterday! I decided it would be a "cheat" day because we were going out to dinner, but I ate WAY too much and 10 hours later I still feel sick. I'm not worried about the calories, I know the weight will come off. But I learned I need to stay in my calorie goal if only to feel healthy.
  • fortydaysrain
    fortydaysrain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I saw this in a post before and it resonated with me: Losing one battle doesn't mean you've lost the war.
    Since I started my weight loss/fitness journey I've had those days but I haven't made them into multiple days or weeks. This year I've committed to log food even on my cheat days or bad days. It helps me to not go TOO out of control.
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    bin there loads of times hunny - just b firm with urself the next day so u dnt crave more junk, n gt back on track with exercise and healthy high protein meals :O)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Call it a spike day & move on.

I'm intrigued as to what you ate. I've only ever been able to reach just over 4000cals gross.

p.s it's spelt "went"
  • tennillewade
    tennillewade Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Maybe you didn't do as bad as you think 5000 cals is a lot and i cant recall a time when i had a 5000 calorie day let alone when over my plan calories by that much!!
    Either way here's what i would do. I would take the next few days and restrict my calories the 1200 or maybe even less. I would only do this for a day or two maybe a day and half of the next. Only consume vegetables and fruit and have a salad for a meal where you include a lean protein. That way you are getting your nutrients but in less calories. That should help you get back on the right track.
    I agree that having a day when you go out of your plan is good it will shock your body but 5000 cals is not good its to much. But we've all been in that place where we just wanted to eat something for comfort i know i have, thats what it sounds liek it was for you. Because you said you had a stressful day.
  • munkeyfunk
    munkeyfunk Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    doubt you "accidently" went over by 5000, you probably exaggerated a bit, 5000 Is ALOT haha.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, i've been there too. like most everyone else said that will be your spike day and be good the rest of the week and you will be ok. :) And of course lots of water. :)<3 you!