US trip and keeping healthy

Options
So I'm heading out to Boston for a week next month. This is something my school organized and we're a big group of people so it'll pretty much be no home cooked meals ever. Continental breakfast at the hotel, take out for lunch and then a restaurant for dinner.
I don't mind having a nice meal maybe 2-3 nights while we're there but what are some good tips not to go overboard and what are menus at popular restaurants in the US usually like? Any tips or things I should beware of?

Replies

• ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Boston is a great city with lots of dining options!! If you have an iPhone, I suggest downloading the Yelp! application. You can then use it to locate restaurants in your vicinity that have healthy options. Boston has a lot of choices and there are lots of health conscious eaters here in New England. Seafood is widely available here as well so there are always options for baked fish just about everywhere you go. Just stay away from the fried foods!!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I would generally stay away from the crappy US chain restaurants.

Here's a few links that might help...

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/439043
    http://www.grubhub.com/boston/healthy/
    http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/50_best_restaurants/index.html
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The portion sizes are generally too big here. You'll want to get an idea of what the portions you eat at home look like to help you. Depending on where you go many restaurants have lower calorie meals listed on the menu. Have fun!
  • Gyoza11
    Gyoza11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Is it true that the salads aren't always the best choice? I've heard some people talk about how it can be misleading with all the extras like croutons and dressing and such.
    I hope I don't get on everyone's nerves always asking calorie content! :P
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Is it true that the salads aren't always the best choice? I've heard some people talk about how it can be misleading with all the extras like croutons and dressing and such.
    I hope I don't get on everyone's nerves always asking calorie content! :P

This is very true. I ask for dressing and some of the higher fat/calories toppings on the side.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Restaurant food is fattening. End of story.
    You can really only keep control by keeping your portions small.
    Chain restaurants usually post caloires.

Boston is a fantastic city and its a great city to just walk and walk and walk.

Enjoy.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Boston is a great city - I lived there for 20+ years. A good option for breakfast is Au Bonn Pan - they have oatmeal, bagels, eggs, yogurt. Restaurants serve a lot of great fish so you should definitely enjoy that too. Have a wonderful time!