Zumba DVD and Help

Options
I am new to the boards, so I apologize if this has already been asked. I have to admit that I find fitness "fads" annoying, but if Zumba delivers even half of what it promises, it will be worth while. Has everyone been satisfied with their results that has stuck to a Zumba routine? Also, I plan on doing the DVDs rather than a class. There are two DVD sets: Zumba Fitness Total Body Transformation System and Zumba Fitness Exhilarate: The Ultimate Experience DVD Set. Is one any better than the other? Right now the main difference I can see is that one is newer and double the price. Also, if I wanted to go another route and just purchase one Zumba DVD, which would be the best one? Thank you.

Replies

• bearwithme041
    Options
    I love Zumba, I was doing classes over the summer but my work conflicted with the times avaliable. I sweated a lot...depending on how fast you move you can burn between 500 calories and up. I did get the zumba for the wii and enjoyed that then I got sick so I'm working myself back up to it. Hope that helps :smile:
  • Jen2Bfit
    Jen2Bfit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have been going to Zumba classes for almost a year and I love them! I have lost 39 pounds and I know a lot of that is because of my commitment to class. I personally have never tried the DVDs but I have heard from others that they really do enjoy them, as well as Zumba for the Wii system. My problem is that unless I physically get up and go to the gym, there is a good chance I will just not do it on my own.

I would think that whichever DVD you choose you will see benefits from. Maybe go to your local library and see what they have as well before you have to commit to buy any.

Any exercise program that you begin to use will be beneficial, whether it be Zumba, aerobics, walking, or whatever else, just make sure that you enjoy doing it. That is what will make you more prone to sticking to it and seeing the best results. Best of luck! :smile:
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    I love Zumba. It is a lot of fun and really gets me moving. When I first embarked on my weight loss journey they joke was that I literally shook my *kitten* off at Zumba. Why? Because I lost about 13" off my bum after doing Zumba 3-4 days a week and as well as lifting weights a couple times a weeks. I am not kidding. It was like one day I had a lot of junk in the trunk and the next day I put on a pair of favorite pants and couldn't fill them out. (This only got more prominent when I started running in addition to all of that. I now have to wear a completely different cut of jeans than I did before. Who knew?) When I traveled to Scotland from the US this summer, I even stepped into a couple classes over there because it is just so darned FUN. So yes, Zumba is wonderful. I highly recommend taking it in a class environment. Sure it is embarassing the first couple times you flail around the studio, but the energy, heat and motivation really does feel like a party. But the DVDs are great too! (I took a couple of those for the hotel room in Scotland as well!)
  • bgc85
    bgc85 Posts: 68
    Options
    I bought the total body transformation last week. I was also conflicted and ended up reading TONS of reviews. I have done the sculpt and tone and got a really good at home workout! :) GOOD LUCK!
  • wessymomma10
    Options
    I love it as well! I started 2 weeks ago, and doing 60 min classes along with lowered calories, I've already lost 6 lbs which is great for me. I suggest it tons! I find the classes better because the teacher holds me accountable. I told her my weight loss goals and she checks for me each class :)
  • carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have been going to Zumba for a little while now and I LOVE it. It has helped me a bunch and I have seen a difference on the scale.
  • okinmaine
    okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have been going to Zumba classes since March and LOVE IT!! I am a certified gym-hater but dancing is so much fun. I have never done the Zumba DVDs at home because I thrive on the energy in the class. After an hour long class, I am a sweaty mess. If you don;t like the DVDs, try a real class......You might find it very different.
  • jcnjsgurl
    jcnjsgurl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I too am a gym hater, but I have both dvds. Before buying I went to several sites that sold the dvds to find out how people felt about the Zumba dvds . Also on ***tube (don’t know if I can say it here) there are clips from both dvds so you can see for yourself how the choreography is.

First off I am not a dancer, but I can pickup dance moves for the most part and have been told I move well. However, after I bought each dvd I felt like the worst dancer in the world and wanted to get my money back BOTH times. However, I stuck it out and have learned to enjoy both.

About the dvds: Both have instructional sections. However, the instructors are only teaching you the basics of the dance you are doing for each section. They don’t show you step by step instructions for each routine. I recommend viewing the step-by step dvds , I didn’t ( not even when I bought Zumba Exhilarate and should’ve known better.) As a result that led to increased frustration.

Zumba Transformation will more than likely be easier. The choreography is easier to pick up. The music has an international flare. The setting looks a lot like a basic type of workout set. The instructional video showed 2-3 different ways to do the basic choreography. It was a good introduction into Zumba for me.

Zumba Exhilerate…sigh….I thought it was harder. This was even after having done the Zumba Transformation on and off for about a year and having attended several Zumba classes. The choreography was harder, and moves at such a quicker pace. I remember having to stop many times during the 20 min workout to catch my breath. The music was international, but had a club feel to it. Even the set made you feel like you are in the club with flashing lights etc. This didn’t bother me, but has bothered other users.

Also the instructors tend to stray a little from their routines several times to show off a little bit at the end of various segments (which I was ok with.) Also, in this set the instructors do mostly voice overs, but on most of the dvds there is a “Feel it” option where there is no verbal audios just music. It took me approx. 2 weeks to go onto the “Feel it” option. Also the dvds at least 2-3 of the workouts will have instructional sections for each dvd (they are all different.) The main step by step section shows choreography from the front and the back. Again not all the choreography is broken down, just the main parts ex: how to do the samba or salsa.

As far as which dvd would be right for you, it depends on you and your ability to pick up moves and whether or not you are easily discouraged. Just remember to wear good shoes that slide a bit so you don’t mess up your knees. Choreography can be modified to suit you and your body ( I do it sometimes and still sweat.) Movement is good for you no matter how you think you look. Zumba is the type of activity that gets easier the more you do it.

For me, this week I am restarting Zumba Exhilarate and am incorporating a bit of strength training. I wish you and everybody else well on your journey. Sorry ya'll for the long post....
  • motivatedone
    Options
    I teach zumba and also go to classes. Many people have lost so much weight and increased their fitness level taking zumba.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba 2 on the wii. It is awesome!
  • jcnjsgurl
    jcnjsgurl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Motivatedone,

This will be a weird question. But, you said you noticed many people have lost weight with Zumba. I'm wondering if anyone has stated which area they first noticed weight loss. I wondered if it's most noticeable in the waist area with all the twisting with the core. Just curious where most people notice a change.
  • Bubble2223
    Bubble2223 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been doing zumba 2 x's a week for over a year. I also work out 3 other days a week too with pilates and strength. I am in my very late 50's and have to say, ZUMBA is what moves my scale. My metabolism is VERY slow.
    I am about to research DVD's because my class teacher has left. If anyone finds a good one, please let me know and i will do the same.
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    I would like to either buy a Zumba DVD or Zumba 2 for wii. Which do you all prefer? My daughter wants to do it with me. If that makes a difference. I think the wii includes a belt?

TIA
  • KateFitness89
    Options
    I've never tried any of the DVDs. I've just done the classes and omg do I love Zumba. It's such a great workout. I've heard the classes are better than the DVDs. There's more energy and you're less likely to slack off. However, I know the DVD sets can sometimes come with guides on how to do the different steps where the classes I went to you kind of just have to jump right in. I was also considering buying some DVDs but then I realized there was a huge collection of zumba dance workouts on youtube. I made a playlist of my favorite songs and dances and I use it as a 1 hour at home workout. I did this last night, while wearing a heart rate monitor and burned 582 calories. I weigh about 147 right now so if you weigh more you will probably burn even more calories. The great thing about Zumba is it doesn't even feel like a work out. Here is a link to the playlist I use Let me know if you like it.

You may not be able to do all the moves but just keep moving and make up your own dance if you're having trouble following along. As long as your moving you will be burning calories. Also maybe try exploring youtube and finding easier dances to start off with and create your own playlist. I know the steps can sometimes be hard to get but if you keep doing it you will catch on.

Here is a youtube clip of some zumba basics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsSrq3HBa7A&list=PL14E082C85DCFCE85&index=41&feature=plpp_video

Good Luck!

3643484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I have zumba 1 for the wii and got the zumba DVD with the toning sticks for Christmas this year. I also do a zumba class once a week at the gym. I sweat a lot but don't tend to burn a ton of calories (but I'm also in maintenance and very few things get my heart rate up in the calorie blasting zone-running and spinning). That said, it is fun. If I had to choose between the wii and the DVD, I'd pick the Wii. The DVD's are the same routine every time so it gets boring. It's mostly for the days I can't make it to the gym to give me a few extra calories to eat! The Wii has many different levels, classes, etc and I've heard the second game is better but haven't tried it. I have lost an inch or so off my waist since I've started doing zumba and I do think it's from the twisting motions. I must say the classes are the most fun because you get the energy from everybody else and if it's a good instructor you will move.
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    I have zumba 1 for the wii and got the zumba DVD with the toning sticks for Christmas this year. I also do a zumba class once a week at the gym. I sweat a lot but don't tend to burn a ton of calories (but I'm also in maintenance and very few things get my heart rate up in the calorie blasting zone-running and spinning). That said, it is fun. If I had to choose between the wii and the DVD, I'd pick the Wii. The DVD's are the same routine every time so it gets boring. It's mostly for the days I can't make it to the gym to give me a few extra calories to eat! The Wii has many different levels, classes, etc and I've heard the second game is better but haven't tried it. I have lost an inch or so off my waist since I've started doing zumba and I do think it's from the twisting motions. I must say the classes are the most fun because you get the energy from everybody else and if it's a good instructor you will move.

Thank you! wii 2 it is.
  • Bubble2223
    Bubble2223 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    All the detail was very helpful. Thank you.:blushing: