Weight Lifting & Calories Burned

Options
Does anyone know why this site doesn't count calories burned for weight lifting? Is there an accurate way to find out how many calories you burn when benching, squating, deadlifting, ect...?

Replies

• fjmorgan
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I found a site that displays the calorie burn per hour for various weight lifting exercises. The problem is, I do heavy weights with low reps so each set is a minute or less. Barbell Squats, for instance, burn 408 calories per hour so for 3 X 1 minute sets, I would burn only about 20 calories. That seems low to me but here is where I got the info: http://www.fitclick.com/exercises?Shoulders&bpid=3 It seems like duration of effort, rather than intensity of effort, is the key to burning calories.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I found some sort of complicated equations on livestrong.com a while back. I no longer have the link. Srry.
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart monitor when I lift. To me, it is the only way to get an accurate calorie burn since everyone is different. When I log it into MFP, I use the cardio section but title it "Lower body" or "Upper body", etc.