Toning Trainers

Options
Di3012
Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
Does anybody know if running in toning trainers is okay or are they meant to be used for walking only?

I have a couple of pairs (one pair of which I use for work), I find them very, very comfortable to wear and although my legs ached at the end of the day for the first couple of weeks, I have no trouble with any aching whatsoever now.

I was wondering if they were also made for running in though, does anybody know?

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend running with any weights attached to your ankles. If you search online, you will find many topics about why not to. You will find some that say "sure and here is how" but I believe you will do more damage than good.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5348338_safe-run-ankle-weights.html
  • Di3012
    Options
    I would not recommend running with any weights attached to your ankles. If you search online, you will find many topics about why not to. You will find some that say "sure and here is how" but I believe you will do more damage than good.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5348338_safe-run-ankle-weights.html

No, they're not weights, they're trainers with sort of rounded bottoms so they force you to walk properly, Sketchers were the first ones to bring them out I think, other brands followed shortly after.

I agree fully regarding the weights by the way, no I wouldn't run with weights, hell I find it hard enough to run carrying just my own weight lol.
  • megan2088
    Options
    I use my reebok toning trainers for zumba and running, never had any problems! Though does anyone ever feel like they loose circulation in their feet when wearing these!? I have loosened them so it's not cause they are tight and it doesn't happen while walking or sitting... So perhaps actually they arent designed for that?!? Hmmm...
  • Di3012
    Options
    I use my reebok toning trainers for zumba and running, never had any problems! Though does anyone ever feel like they loose circulation in their feet when wearing these!? I have loosened them so it's not cause they are tight and it doesn't happen while walking or sitting... So perhaps actually they arent designed for that?!? Hmmm...

Hi Megan! Ahh thanks! I might have a go at running with them when I go on holiday then. I tend to do a lot of walking when I go on holiday, so I definitely wanted to take them, however, I also want to do some running too but didn't want to have to take my running trainers too. Need to take minimum stuff in suitcase see, hoping to just get away with hand-luggage lol

Regarding loss of circulation, I don't get that when walking in them, but will see what happens if I try running in them. I tried Googling all over the place regarding wearing them for running but could find nothing.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor and my daughers spinal surgeon both said absolutely 100% do not EVER wear them.
  • Di3012
    Options
    My chiropractor and my daughers spinal surgeon both said absolutely 100% do not EVER wear them.

Why not?

What trainers you thinking of?
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Why not?

What trainers you thinking of?

Mostly because of the extremely unnatural foot position, and the leverage from the extended sole makes it super easy to twist your ankle. And not in the good way, either.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Do not run in them. You will injure yourself.
  • Di3012
    Options
    ahh good point, I will need to rethink now.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    It causes your foot to strike very unnaturally. Even if you feel okay with it now, eventually it will catch up with you. As they put it, when you disrupt the energy force applied during steps, you minutely nudge your body in what could be the wrong direction.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

I've heard this too. Considering I already have steel rods in my spine from spinal fusion back surgery I won't get anywhere near them.

Apparently, they cause your normal gait (how you walk, how your feet hit the ground, etc) to be altered which can result in ankle, knee, hip, back, etc injuries. From everything I've read, they aren't shown to work at all anyway.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have worn them all the time for the last two years as sneakers. I ran in them for the first weak of c25k but then I got a pair of normal running shoes instead on Saturday. I like the running shoes better for running, but for just wearing the toners are my favorite shoes I have ever had they actually stopped some back issues I was having. Maybe I'm doing harm by wearing them in the long run, I don'g really know but for now I'll continue to do what has worked for me.
  • Di3012
    Options
    I have worn them all the time for the last two years as sneakers. I ran in them for the first weak of c25k but then I got a pair of normal running shoes instead on Saturday. I like the running shoes better for running, but for just wearing the toners are my favorite shoes I have ever had they actually stopped some back issues I was having. Maybe I'm doing harm by wearing them in the long run, I don'g really know but for now I'll continue to do what has worked for me.

I have had a slipped disc in the past and have found they ease my legs and back too. They definitely ease the muscles in my legs.