Name a healthy food/meal you LOVE

Options
Maybe if we come up with a good list (including cals) it will inspire us all to try new things and help us continue eating well. Worth a shot! Most healthy things I just tolerate but don't enjoy :-(

Anyway my favourite is beansprouts! I can have 500g (huge portion) fried in tablespoon of light soy sauce for under 100 calories
Really find this tasty when I am about to fall off the wagon and munch!
Carburys highlight hot choc is also a must for me at 40cals a cup x

Replies

• maryjay51
    Options
    homemade salsa
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan of fish but eat it for obvious reasons, we take talapia, coat it in panko, bake it in the oven, remove from oven andtop it with sauteed spinach, a little cheddar cheese and pop it back in the oven to melt the cheese. That may be the only thing we have for a dinner, a one pan meal and very filling
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's the definition of healthy...lol. My favorite healthy weekend breakfast (it takes too long to make on a work day) is:

Egg white fritatta with mushrooms, reduced fat feta cheese, and turkey sausage
    Fiber one whole wheat english muffin with a bit of "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Spray"

Total calories: 375

I get the feeling that I am out at brunch and this is a really big, high-volume meal!
  • tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    when I want to cheat... I got this idea from hungrygirl.com, (http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/movie-night-chewy-smores-snack-mix-recipe)

Ingredients

2 cups popped 94% fat-free kettle corn microwave popcorn
    1 cup cinnamon-sugar cereal squares
    3/4 cup chocolate-flavored puffed cereal (like Cocoa Puffs)
    3/4 cup mini marshmallows
    10 Tootsie Roll Midgees, chopped

Directions

In a sealable plastic bag or an airtight container with a lid, combine all ingredients except Tootsie Roll pieces. Seal and shake to mix.

Add chopped Tootsie Roll Midgees. Seal and shake again. Enjoy!

MAKES 6 SERVINGS
    PER SERVING (1/6th of recipe, about 1 cup): 109 calories, 1g fat, 103mg sodium, 23.5g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 13.5g sugars, 0.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 3*

Prep:
    5 minutes

**I actually only mix the popcorn and cinnamon cereal most the time... and it's perfect!*** Makes the perfect salty/sweet snack, which is my biggest craving.
  • daisytripp
    daisytripp Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    We love to grill portobello mushroom caps when I am craving red meat or something really decadent. Delicious.
  • ttck4eva
    Options
    I am definately gonna try this!! Sounds delicious !
    when I want to cheat... I got this idea from hungrygirl.com, (http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/movie-night-chewy-smores-snack-mix-recipe)

Ingredients

2 cups popped 94% fat-free kettle corn microwave popcorn
    1 cup cinnamon-sugar cereal squares
    3/4 cup chocolate-flavored puffed cereal (like Cocoa Puffs)
    3/4 cup mini marshmallows
    10 Tootsie Roll Midgees, chopped

Directions

In a sealable plastic bag or an airtight container with a lid, combine all ingredients except Tootsie Roll pieces. Seal and shake to mix.

Add chopped Tootsie Roll Midgees. Seal and shake again. Enjoy!

MAKES 6 SERVINGS
    PER SERVING (1/6th of recipe, about 1 cup): 109 calories, 1g fat, 103mg sodium, 23.5g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 13.5g sugars, 0.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 3*

Prep:
    5 minutes

**I actually only mix the popcorn and cinnamon cereal most the time... and it's perfect!*** Makes the perfect salty/sweet snack, which is my biggest craving.
  • ttck4eva
    Options
    Dippy question but how do you make it and what do you eat it with?
    homemade salsa
  • karenmiller81
    karenmiller81 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was not the original person who mentioned homemade salsa, but I also LOVE salsa and make a homemade one that we love and is ridiculously simple. Bear in mind there are literally hundreds of ways to make salsa and it all depends on your likes. For example, I prefer smooth salsas, as opposed to a pico de gallo coarsely chopped type (which is also extremely healthy for you!) My recipe is this:

28 oz can crushed tomatos
    10 leaves fresh cilantro
    10+ jalapeno rings (adjust for desired heat)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 garlic powder

Food process/blend everything and voila! Takes about 3 minutes to make and makes a TON. Obviously it's delicious on chips, but I know that isn't the healthiest choice. I use it on lots of things: on different meats (my uncle loved it on pork loin, of all things). I use it in a lower cal chicken chimichanga recipe I make. If we have tacos, we'll spread a thin layer of it on top for added flavor.
  • ericapage
    ericapage Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy my breakfasts with egg whites. Sometimes it'll be an eggwhite sandwich with ham and light mayo on either low cal toast or a fiber english muffin. Others, I'll have an egg white omelet with mushrooms, ham and onions. They are both so delicious and satisfying and still under 300 cal and 3g of fat!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    One of my favorite healthy meals is a whole grain english muffin with natural peanut butter and banana slices. SO yummy and great pre-workout fuel. I also LOVE my low-cal chicken corn chowder, and "healthy" buffalo chicken dip with celery and carrot sticks. Clearly I'm a comfort food junkie, so I'm in love with these lightened-up versions of my faves.
  • byenslys
    Options
    Soup! I absolutely adore soups, and I'm starting to eat vegetable, tomato, or eggdrop soup for lunch each day. All under 100 calories!
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    I love a nice fresh crisp crunchy salad!

and

Tasty stir fry vegetables with grilled tunasteak
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I don't relate calories with healthy and I cook 95% of my own and families food, anyway. Tonight is home made lamb curry with saffron basmati, naan and a green salad. Oh yeah, and a few tiger beers.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Soup! I absolutely adore soups, and I'm starting to eat vegetable, tomato, or eggdrop soup for lunch each day. All under 100 calories!
    I second this!
  • ItsVJ
    ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    x
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love to make an omlette with liquid eggs (no cholesterol), mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic salt, onion and spinach. Then right at the end I add a 1/4 of feta cheese. Its healthy and high in protein.
  • ItsVJ
    Options
    One of my favorite healthy meals is a whole grain english muffin with natural peanut butter and banana slices. SO yummy and great pre-workout fuel. I also LOVE my low-cal chicken corn chowder, and "healthy" buffalo chicken dip with celery and carrot sticks. Clearly I'm a comfort food junkie, so I'm in love with these lightened-up versions of my faves.

PLEASE post your recipes for these! They sound YUMMY!!!!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    homemade salsa

totally agree! just bought the ingredients yesterday!
  • ItsVJ
    Options
    YUM!
  • ttck4eva
    Options
    This post has already inspired me! Gonna make salsa later and eat with cucumber sticks - yum x