Question about loose skin

Options
I'm roughly half way to my goal. I started this journey 245ish and now weight 206. I have also gained a bit of muscle and completely changed my lifestyle to include nothing but health. I'm now active, building muscle and found a new love for life as a result. I have no doubt I will get to my ideal.

However, I do have some concerns starting to creep in.

I have been "overweight" my entire adult life. I'm actually the smallest I ever been as an adult now, or within 8 lbs of it. But I'm starting to concern about loose skin. People say I am lucky in that I have an apple body shape, so that all the weight stayed mainly in the middle, giving me smaller legs, arms and neck. Also since I have been overweight to some degree larger or smaller my entire life I haven't really much in the way of stretch marks.

But I notice that when I suck in, I have that grandma face. The one where it's crinkly and your belly button suddenly looks like a fold.

For those who have lost weight significantly, do you find that the skin impedes your ability to buy clothes, look average? I'm not expecting bikinis and naked photos by any means. But I would like to wear tighter clothes and tank tops and look okay!

I have been browsing tummy tuck before and afters. There are some that I could imagine I would look like. But I don't think I could ever afford 10,000.00 for something so superficial.

Anyways, thought by those who been there done that, appreciated.

ALSO! I'm curious how those who have skin deal with running without having your belly skin interfere. I've yet to come across those who talk about that dilema.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carriedavis77
    carriedavis77 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Compression, compression, compression! lol :) Compression capris, tank tops, yoga pants, tshirts etc etc are what I use to help keep the loose skin in place. I bought a TON of it off Old Navy's website... their "active" line... very comfy and attractive!

I've lost 150lbs over a little over a year and a 1/2 and deff have some issues w/my loose skin. It's not as bad as some I've seen or heard of cause I did it so slow and by exercising.

I know I'll likely never feel comfortable to wear a bikini but I look damn good in a one piece teehee :)

I'll never be able to afford a tummy tuck... and honestly not sure I would do it if I had the money... the whole idea just seems very scary, but that's just me. :)
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Compression, compression, compression! lol :) Compression capris, tank tops, yoga pants, tshirts etc etc are what I use to help keep the loose skin in place. I bought a TON of it off Old Navy's website... their "active" line... very comfy and attractive!

I've lost 150lbs over a little over a year and a 1/2 and deff have some issues w/my loose skin. It's not as bad as some I've seen or heard of cause I did it so slow and by exercising.

I know I'll likely never feel comfortable to wear a bikini but I look damn good in a one piece teehee :)

I'll never be able to afford a tummy tuck... and honestly not sure I would do it if I had the money... the whole idea just seems very scary, but that's just me. :)

I just found OPld Navy active compression yoga pants! I love love love them. I use them for spin.
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have some experience here... 5'1, down 90-ish pounds, some more and some muscle building to go.

In terms of "impeding ability to buy clothes", I think it depends on what your style is like and what your expectations are like. Speaking for myself, I'll probably never be able to wear a bikini, but that's fine. Loose spots around the lower tummy and thighs, but it's NOTHING compared to being as big as I was. I'll take a tinier waist, defined curves, and feeling healthy any day.

As your body changes, you'll see how the weight comes off and what you can wear/can't wear YET. If you want some suggestions...

--I can definitely wear tighter things now, but not with a flat front... Try pencil skirts/fitted skirts with a bit of ruching/gathering across the front if there's a little bump from any loose spots

--Higher (not super old-school high) but higher waisted denim with not too much stretch work wonders

--Skirts with a fitted waist (sits on smallest part of your middle) with a bit of volume in the skirt are great

Also, BEST WORKOUT PANTS EVER: G-Fast Legging/Capris from THE GAP. Fantastic, thick but breathable, nothing moves, and the solid black ones look great as leggings!

Hope this helps!
    -C :)
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Subbing. :)
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned about loose skin on arms - guess I will not be wearing sleeveless clothes, but am hoping I can tighten some of it up.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hello I turn 55 next month and I've lost over 50 pounds that I carried on my 5'4" body for most of the last 30 years. It's been a year since I reached goal (actually am under goal by 6 pounds now) and have loose skin around my waist and hips. It was much worse a year ago. Although there has been improvement (lots of abs exercise, strength training, etc.) I'm getting used to the idea the skin will always be there. Like others who have posted, I'm not really prepared to spend thousands of dollars on surgery. The loose skin used to really bother me but I have finally reached acceptance about my appearance and I like what I see. Sometimes the brain takes a year to catch up with reality! You have to love yourself and new-found health first. Give it some time, continue your workouts, and if it still really, really bothers you then do something about it. But believe me when I say you will look fantastic in your clothes, bathing suit, etc. when all is said and done.
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    I'm wondering about this too! I've probably been carrying my extra weight for at least 10 years, and am hoping to lose about 60 lbs to start off. Am also doing strength training but it still seems like the fat or loose skin covers up any definition! :/ And I too do not have the money or will to go the surgical route.