Strength training and 30 Day Shred

Options
(Sorry about another 30 Day Shred post.)

I'm really not into strength training. I'm much more of a cardio and yoga girl but I realize that strength training can make a huge difference in weight loss. I've been trying to do 3 days a week (1 day upper body, 1 day lower body and 1 day full body) but I often feel like I'm missing something. I think I could really benefit from a trainer but at the moment that is not economically feasible. I'm thinking instead I will try the Shred since I've heard so much about it on here. So I guess my first question is if I'm doing the Shred does that suffice for enough strength training for the week? Second question do you all find it hard without a day for your body to recover? I feel like the lack of recovery days would hinder greater results. Third question does this constitute as a full body workout? Final question do you need anything other than dumbbells and what weight would you start off with for a female with pretty poor upper body strength?

Thanks all!

Replies

• abg82
    abg82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 day shred today and I have a lot of the same questions. So...experts at the 30ds--help us! How long do you typically do level one before moving up? Should I take a day of rest in between? Looking for any thoughts and lots of encouragement! :happy:

The first day totally kicked my butt, but I can tell that it's going to be really effective if I stick with it! I used 5lbs weights for some of the exercises, but I needed 3lbs for some and on some I dropped the weights and just did the movement. (Something is better than nothing right?!)

All you need are weights and a mat if you are on a hard surface.
  • laura328
    laura328 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    1. I believe it will suffice as your weight training, yes. You may want to supplement for your "full body" days with her no more trouble zones. Longer and more thorough in my opinion. But no cardio to speak of
    2. I take at least one day a week off, sometimes 2. Because of that, I'm not doing the 30 day shred in 30 days; it will be more like 60:blushing: i'm just keeping track of how many actual days I do at each level i.e. 10 days on each. I'm currently on day 7 of level 3
    3. See answer to #1
    4. You only need hand weights and a mat. I'm using 5 pound weights on most of the moves and 10 pound weights on the military press. If you have "poor upper body strength", I would start with 3 pound weights. "No shame in that" as Jillian would say! I guarantee you'll still get a great workout! I was amazed at how much I sweat in only 20 minutes. She's designed the workout so that literally every second counts!

Do it! You'll love it!
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    I agree that it will suffice for full body!

I've taken 1-2 days off per week and I've found it's easier after the rest day, so see how it goes and take a rest if you'd like!

I use 3 lb weights, some of the exercises I can use 5 lb weights but I find it hard! I have very little upper body strength as well, I would recommend the 3 lbs for you.

Give it a try, you will really sweat and see a difference! On Level 3 day 3 - nearly there!