Help...from the successful!! Please..so discouraged!

Options

Replies

• rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Stop being discouraged!

And also stop thinking that weight loss is going to happen quickly. If you do it right, it's going to be a very slow process. And that's what you should want!

Just stick with eating better and exercising more, and you will see results. You just have to be patient.

Personally, it's been just about a year and I'm still not at my goal weight. I have been taking it one day at a time, and not obsessing over what the scale says.

Change takes times. As you go on, you can make adjustments to what you are doing, like finding the ideal calorie/exercise balance, and over time you will find what works for you.

You can do it! Just relax a little bit, and you will see it!
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I have found that when I eat the suggested 1200 cals my weightloss slows to NOTHING! But when I eat 1300-1500 calories and even throw in one or two (not 2 in a row)1800-1900 calorie days I lose effortlessly. (kinda like zig zagging my calories) The body is smart. It fights starvation.

***Also I forgot to add are you drinking WATER? 8-10 cups of pure water a day?

doctor oz also said to have one day a week with your calories over the limit like 1800ish. and it actually helps weight loss.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Please do not get discouraged!! I have been at MFP for 1 yr. There were alot of weeks that I did not loose 1 lb. Then i woukld loose .. I looked at your food diary and I feel that you are not eating enough food. You need to eat 3 meals a day and 1-2 snacks. exercise and try to stay at 1200 calories a day. If you are under the 1200 calories for 2 many days in a row, you put your body into starvation mode... NOT GOOD. Just hang in there and you will see a change. feel free to add me as a friend.Good Luck
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If you make your focus a healthy lifestyle the weight loss will follow. Be patient.
    Yes, that. Be patient. I have to remind myself constantly to just be patient.
  • misslissa121
    Options
    If you are drinking canned beverages, they have high sodium, and as women we naturally retain water, especially around our periods. I would try to brew your own tea and put in as little sugar as you can. I drink flavored roiboos unsweetened in addition to many glasses of water a day. Also stay away from processed(boxed) foods as much as possible. These have very high sodium. I have only been at it two weeks, with my third weigh in on Monday. I have lost 9lbs total and 3 inches off my waist (mostly retained water). I have cut out all soda ( I was a almost 2-liter a day Dr. Pepper addict), which was a major issues of empty calories, sodium, and water retention for me. You have to make sure you are eating enough calories and make sure you are eating the right types of food. If not your body will slow down due to lack of nutrients and lack of an energy source. It is really hard those first few weeks to eat the proper amount of calories as you are trying to figure out just what all things contain. You didn't put all the weight on in one day, week or even a year, it isn't going to come off that way either.

GOOD LUCK and stick with it. I am just starting my journey, but this is for life, not for a few weeks of crash dieting just to fit into a pair of jeans. I have been there, done that, and it comes back plus some when we pick back up on the old habits. I am being as honest with myself on the trackers as possible (even logging that stolen bite of pizza), and this time I have support from my significant other and a good walking buddy.
  • KDWS
    KDWS Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice...I had lost six pounds the first week and three the next week and was feeling great Like I was on a roll!! Then nothing for the lat two weeks...I am logging in everything I eat! Hello! 960 calories worth of chips! I logged it in! Hanful of goobers I logged it in! I wanted to start exercising but was dx with bronchitis Monday so on a zpac this week...no exercies...I am going to switch up my breakfast no more bars, exercies and eat more and see waht happens this week.
    I have to say I am so impressed with this site everyone os so qucik to help in such a respectful encouraging way! I am really greatful and feel so much better after reading the posts so thank you all your postive hlep makes a positive difference...I was on another site before and everyone was always so quick to judge and snipe...this is so much nore supportive!
  • WinterBlue
    Options
    I second eating more. I am still figuring it out too but I know that when i don't eat enough calories I tend to stall. I will share what I know with you; it's what I have collected based on my research and from the successful members on MFP.
    go to this site http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ and calculate your BMR. if it gets deleted goggle fat2fitradio and under tools select their BMR calculator. BMR is the calories your body needs to perform it's basic function. So if you were to sleep all day 24 hours this will probably be your caloric burn...some people say this is the number you burn if you were comatose. Anyways You will get 2 numbers Katch-McArdle Forumla and Harris-Benedict Formula. Average these out and let that be the base on MFP versus the 1200 they give you. Several weight loss websites use 1200 for everyone's BMR but some people have a higher BMR than others. Your BMR should be the minimum amount of calories you should be eating. I believe in eating your exercise calories most days of the week. It's sort of like calorie cycling, where some days you eat less (but not below your BMR) and other days you eat your bmr+ exercise calories. See below for a demo calculation.

I found that calculator from a member on here Helloitsdan, you should PM him if you need help.

Subject A BMR=1300 (calories Subj. A should eat minimum with or without exercise)

Plus 700 calories with Subj A lifestyle in 24 hour period (job, cooking, cleaning, laundry, caring for kids etc)

Subj A daily expenditure thus far = 2000

At this point subject A COULD eat 1300 calories without exercise, create a 700 calorie deficit and lose approx 1.5lb a week. as long as the above lifestyle remains the same but as Subj A loses weight she will have to add some exercise because lighter body weight does not exert as much energy performing the same lifestyle activities as the heavier weight. Thus by adding exercise to her regimen as she becomes lighter she can continue to create the 700 calorie deficit to continue losing at 1.5lb per week.

Aim for a deficit of 500-1000 calories for 1-2lb of weight loss as 1 pound - 3500 calories. The more you have to lose the larger of a deficit you can safely create.
    Now let's pull in exercise.

On Monday, Tuesday , Thursday, Friday and Saturday subject A burn 500 extra calories from intentional exercise (running, jogging, walking, etc)

You now have 2000 (energy expenditure from lifestyle activities) + 500 from exercise = 2500 total energy expenditure for the above days.

Now if Subj A is still eating 1300 calories she will create a calorie deficit of 1200; larger than the recommended 1000 calorie deficit. This is the controversial issue researchers say that if the deficit is greater than a 1000 your body starts utilizing body's muscle thus you lose tone; but also put your organs at risk for damage. It's controversial because some dieters disagree. Think about it this way, your kidneys, heart and just about every organ in our body have a muscle composition; thus for a prolonged period of inadequate caloric intake your body starts targeting these organs to obtain what it needs to function; but at the same breaking those organs down. the end result making those organs less efficient at performing their role. keep in mind this doesn't occur overnight. Use goggle scholar to pull up research articles.

What would be ideal? here it is

Monday Subj A eats 1300 BMR+500 exercise = 1800
    Tuesday Subj A eats 1300 BMR+500 exercise = 1800 (she could even eat 1700)
    Wednesday Subject A eats 1300 no exercise
    Thursday Subj A eats 1300 BMR+500 exercise = 1800
    Friday Subj A eats 1300 BMR+500 exercise = 1800 (She could even eat 1600-1700)
    Saturday Subj A eats 1300 BMR+500 exercise = 1800
    Sunday Subject A eats 1300 no exercise

Outcome: subject A continues to create a 700 calorie deficit and lose 1.5lb a week. she may even be able to safely create a 900-1000 calories deficit and lose 2 lbs a week.

Focus on balancing your nutrition

Set MFP for 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protein OR 50/25/25 if the previous becomes challenging. What I tend to do is on higher calorie intake days I follow 40/30/30 and on lower calories days i follow 50/25/25.

I hope this helps. if you decide to try the above method, give it a couple week to see a change. there are many factors that affect weight loss.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have lost 22 lbs since the end of October. I weigh myself every day. But I DON'T do it to see if my diet is working. I KNOW my diet will work. I approach this as a scientist.

I have food scales at home and work and weigh everything that isn't pre-packaged. I know how many calories it takes to fill me up so I can't eat any more, and I enter that if I really don't know what I ate, like at restaurants. I have tons of my own recipes entered, with portion sizes.

I know how different the portions you buy are from the portion sizes in calorie counts. Everything is super-sized. For instance, I just had a tiny sweet potato that turned out to be 1.2 portions when I weighed it. Lord knows what a normal sized sweet potato would be. If I had just logged "one small sweet potato," I would have underestimated calories by 20%. If you do that consistently, it makes the difference between losing weight and being at a plateau.

I have an iPhone and enter everything as I eat as I eat it, and I use it to make decisions about how much I will eat. (Gotta love playing with the barcode scanner!) The internet data plan from my phone carrier is expensive, but it's a lot cheaper than the medical expenses I might encounter if I don't get the weight under control, such as medications, CPAP, surgery, time off work/nursing home care, etc.

I have a treadmill at home that calculates calories based on my weight, speed, and slope. People will talk about needing heart rate monitors, but the basic physics is that lifting your body weight up and moving it is work, and work requires more energy than sitting in a chair. (And moving 220 lbs. will use up more calories than moving my weight, so you're actually at an advantage there.)

I estimated my activity level as sedentary when I registered, and I listed my goal exercise as zero, so everything I do has the immediate reward of letting me eat more. I have never exercised so much in my life, cause there's an immediate payoff.

So I get on the scale more for entertainment value. It's fun to see the weight come down. It's fun to see the little graph on my iPhone app start approximating a straight line down after a while. (The mobile app graph is much better than the one on the website, btw.)

I make sure I get sufficient nutrients, especially protein, vitamin K, and calcium, the nutrients that can't be supplied by vitamin pills. If your body is missing even one nutrient, what can it do with the calories you consume other than make fat and wait for the missing nutrients? Your body's functions are all chemical reactions, and you can't make a reaction happen with even a single reagent missing. You just get a useless mixture of the other reagents.

I understand how much sodium and fluid affect weight. If I get up in the morning and make lots of urine, I know I'm well hydrated. If not, I know that day's weight is really an underestimate, and I don't get frustrated that it's higher the next day. I know that sharp upward spikes in my weight curve will be followed by sharp downward spikes when I eat less sodium, since only water weight comes and goes that fast.

I understand that I'm trying to lose fat, and exercise builds muscle. Muscle weighs a lot. Stiff, sore muscles after exercise are stiff because they're full of fluid, and they weight even more. That isn't important weight.

I understand that two weeks is no time at all in weight loss. You're not on a diet. You've just started eating differently, and weight loss will gradually result. Concentrate on eating better and managing portions. I know someone who just started MFP a couple months ago, and when he saw his doctor, he'd lost 7 lbs. (on target) but his blood pressure was already down 10 points and his sugar was down 100 points. He's over 300 lbs and has lost and gained more than 7 lbs before without that kind of results. But the difference is what he's doing every day, not what he's accomplished in the past. Your body benefits immediately from a healthier lifestyle, long before the pounds come off.

Now, I'm a fidgety person, and having done this a while, I can see that I am losing weight faster than the 1/2 lb/week predicted by MFP. Someone else may lose weight more slowly than the prediction. Your body is individual. If you are 100% sure of your precise calories and you really aren't losing weight, then you may have to reduce your goal a little. Not a lot -- even a small amount makes a big difference when you keep it up consistently day after day. But the calorie recommendations do include that "activity level" fudge factor, and your level of activity when sitting may be less than mine. (With all due respect, if I had to lift 220 lbs just to get out of a chair, I'd fidget a lot less, too. When you get your weight down, you're going to LOVE how much less gravity weighs you down!)

People will tell you all kinds of wisdom about eating your exercise calories and upping your food calories when you stop losing. But the biggest thing that probably causes people to fail is lack of understanding of exactly what calories and nutrients they are eating.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    It varies...not sure what you workout plan looks like..but much success in weightloss goes to your eating...and that could be a factor. I know you said since you been sick you hadn't been eating much...That is one thing..but before that when you were..what types of meals, portions, timing, and intake of water...all the things benefits a healthier weightloss...Incorporated with a great routine of exercising... Don't get discourage...just go back and look over your diary...clean it up...balance it with your workouts and you will see results...I hope this helps...

Much success to you honey!
  • Lindy901
    Lindy901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For me in the beginning I wasn't seeing the scale move. But I kept at it. I'm trying to make an eating change forever, not just to LOSE weight so I keep plugging. I've been doing this for 7 or 8 months now and I've lost 50. It's slow going but it's a forever change. I'm in a slump right now too. I've been the same or up for two weeks now but it's moving back down again slowly. Change your mindset and don't get too discouraged.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged!

This process should be on a slow and steady track. Don't weigh yourself every week. Weigh monthly for a while. Your weight is going to vary depending on your bladder/bowel contents, hydration status, menstrual cycle, etc. If you're meticulous with your tracking on MFP you are going to lose weight. Just stick with it!

Good luck!!
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    What all these other wonderful people said! I've been on MFP almost a year now and lost 30 lbs in the first 7 months-ish... but have only lost about 2 lbs in the last 4 months. Am trying to change it up a little to trick my body into losing weight again, with more intense cardio and more instances where I lift weights... My toughest challenge though is drinking enough water and staying under my sodium maximum!! I suspect that might be part of my issue ;).
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    We tend to expect to lose weight on a steady trajectory if we maintain a steady calorie deficit. But there can be so many things going on with our bodies that affect the *number on the scale* and mess with your mind. I've been at this for so long now I usually have a pretty good idea of why the "number" isn't going in the direction I want. Doesn't always mean I can change it! Hormones in particular can really throw you off for awhile. But if you keep at it things work out eventually. =)
  • jsmith0644
    jsmith0644 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think bad weeks are part of the deal. It happens. You had a lot going on with your body at once. I personally would have dropped in my tracks. Take the bad weeks as they come and continue reaching for progress. You'll get em' next week...or you won't. Keep plugging anyway. Oh, and look at all the heavy hitters that have answered before me. They did, what makes you think you won't? :laugh:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You really do need to eat 1200 calories per day orelse your putting your body under too much strain and it will not loose weight... You really really need to eat an absolute minimum of 1200 x
  • DonnaLRB
    DonnaLRB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Make changes a little bit at a time. It takes time to change eating habits. This is a life long thing. If you don't change habits, then weight WILL return. Stay focused!

SO true!
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice...I had lost six pounds the first week and three the next week and was feeling great Like I was on a roll!! Then nothing for the lat two weeks...I am logging in everything I eat! Hello! 960 calories worth of chips! I logged it in! Hanful of goobers I logged it in! I wanted to start exercising but was dx with bronchitis Monday so on a zpac this week...no exercies...I am going to switch up my breakfast no more bars, exercies and eat more and see waht happens this week.
    I have to say I am so impressed with this site everyone os so qucik to help in such a respectful encouraging way! I am really greatful and feel so much better after reading the posts so thank you all your postive hlep makes a positive difference...I was on another site before and everyone was always so quick to judge and snipe...this is so much nore supportive!

Sounds like you do account for all you do and thats GREAT! If you are a snacker...I dont promote it but wing yourself away...set a goal of every 3-4 days and then eventually it will change into once a week or once every other week.... Take time for maybe a 15 minute walk or even some small things...like stretching to get some workout in...All these things help and I agree...The support here is awesome...
  • ninyaw
    ninyaw Posts: 13
    Options
    It's a process. Don't weigh yourself everyday if it is going to sabotage you. Have a cheat day, and eat small meals 6-8 times a day and exercse for at least 30 minutes 4-5 days a week and it will come off. Slowly, but it will work. Try to keep your heart rate in the fat burning zone when you exercise 60-70% max.
  • mattemery
    mattemery Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think all of this is pretty good advice. Up your calories a little, eat a little cleaner, and be patient. We've ALL plateaued. It is very frustrating. In 2010-2011, I lost 85 pounds. during that time I hit several plateaues where I would go a week or two and loose nothing. Nothing changed... same diet, same exercise. It just stopped.

But eventually, the dam breaks and you start moving again. You just have to not get frustrated. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Just please don't give up. It will happen. You are doing great actually with the first couple of weeks. can't expect to see that every week.

My average per week when I lost the 85 was right at 2 pounds a week. But that was NOT a steady decline. It was 10 pounds some times (very early when I was huge), nothing many weeks, and 3-4 pounds at other times.

Just hang in there!!!!!!
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Medication may impact you weight loss. For the ladies, that time of month really plays havoc with the scale.

My thoughts are:

Stop Weighing Daily! If that is causing you emotional issue and you're already taking meds along that line, then don't add something back that will make you upset. Pick a weigh day and stick to it.

Consider the daily nutrient goals that MFP gives you. Are you going over on carbs?

Drink your fluids and consider giving up soda. Lots of sodium in those diet soda...and phosphoric acid is bad for the bones.

Don't undereat and don't do it consistently. It throws the body into starvation mode and that's not a fun coaster ride.

Balance your calories out into set meal times. I get 1500/day so I average 500 for morning, 500 for afternoon, and 500 for evening...most of the time. :)

Talk to your doctor. They may be able to provide you more insight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!