need encouragment and tips... horrible gain

Options
Hi I'm still kinda new here I was doing really well and then I had a horrible gall bladder attack, ( I've had them many times before) My doctor and my Aunt who's a nurse recommended a cleanse which has worked before every time but it involves drinking salt to open up the billary tubes.
As you can imagine it tastes horrible so I thought well I'll let myself have a break for a day first so I had 1 piece of pizza and a cinnabon for breakfast and lunch and then noodles for dinner. Then I got an attack at 3:30 am which continued moderately and then finally went away 6 days later well there was no way I was drinking salt when I already felt like throwing up so.... i basically fell off the wagon so to speak for the next 6 days today is the 8th day and I'm doing the cleanse tomorrow but I gained 9 lbs in 6-7 days and I haven't even checked the scale this morning!

Please only real advice no rude comments, just need some encouragement and maybe any tips
Thanks

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry you are going through this. my husband had to have his gallbladder removed due to terrible attacks & i can remember his pain. i've never heard of the salt thing, or even the cleanse. the dr just said "yank it out" and he did! LOL he has never had an ounce of trouble with any stomach issues aside from that. i hope you find some relief soon. don't worry about the weight gain...it will come off again! :smile: and most likely, due to the high salt content of the foods you described, you are probably holding alot of water weight.
  • tmfpartyof4
    tmfpartyof4 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm still kinda new here I was doing really well and then I had a horrible gall bladder attack, ( I've had them many times before) My doctor and my Aunt who's a nurse recommended a cleanse which has worked before every time but it involves drinking salt to open up the billary tubes.
    As you can imagine it tastes horrible so I thought well I'll let myself have a break for a day first so I had 1 piece of pizza and a cinnabon for breakfast and lunch and then noodles for dinner. Then I got an attack at 3:30 am which continued moderately and then finally went away 6 days later well there was no way I was drinking salt when I already felt like throwing up so.... i basically fell off the wagon so to speak for the next 6 days today is the 8th day and I'm doing the cleanse tomorrow but I gained 9 lbs in 6-7 days and I haven't even checked the scale this morning!

Please only real advice no rude comments, just need some encouragement and maybe any tips
    Thanks

I had my GB removed post partum in July, 2007. Pain is unbearable.
    As the other poster mentioned, its probably water weight.

I am new to this site as well, there is so much to learn and do. The best thing (IMO) is if you are feeling better, take a look at a gall-bladder friendly diet to avoid (as much as possible) getting future attacks. Work close with your physician to monitor you so you can get it removed if it really gets bad.

Aside from getting it removed, work closely with the diet and workouts as much as possible, get lots of water, and start again fresh. Thats all we can do. Get support from friends and family (if you have that) and if not, I can be of great support,as well. Im new here too.

Take care and good luck.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    I second the opinion about researching foods that do NOT contribute to Gall Bladder attacks. I've had to have mine removed - but remember that I would get into trouble eating greasy fried foods, foods with cinnamon and spicy foods, like BBQ sauce & salsas, etc....
    Since having it removed - I still avoid bbq sauce - something in it makes me have terrible heartburn.

Drinking lots of water will help - in two ways, 1st, the water aids in digestion, which is also the role of the liquid gall/bile. 2nd, it will help flush out those retained fluids.

The liver produces bile and sends a certain amount directly to the stomach to help with digestion. The gall bladder is a "storage tank" for excess "standby" bile. When you eat something extra hard to digest (greasy foods, etc....) the stomach then sends an ALERT message to the gall bladder to send down MORE bile. If you have gallstones or a gall bladder that isn't working properly - this message from the stomach causes the gallbladder to react in a negative way, which is the pain (attack) you feel. Once you've had the gall bladder removed, you'll still digest foods, because the liver still sends bile to the stomach, but maybe not as efficiently as you would with a properly working gall bladder. Your Dr. could advise you on foods to eat that will lessen your gallbladder attacks. Or if surgery is needed to remove it - don't worry - the procedure isn't as major an operation as it once was. It can be done lapriscopically - using smaller incisions and camera/robot technology.

Good luck!
  • JP36
    JP36 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definitely drink more water for your gall bladder - my naturopathic doctor says take you weight in pounds, divide by 2, and that is how many ounces you should drink a day. I don't drink quite that much but at least 8 - 8 oz glasses helps keep the gall bladder attacks away. And it is much cheaper than surgery.
  • JP36
    JP36 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Also - please let us know how the cleanse goes. I am very curious about that.:smile:
    Good luck!
  • myoldselfback
    myoldselfback Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for your kind words. You're right it will come off again I just have to keep that in mind!
  • myoldselfback
    Options
    Thank you nice to hear from someone else who has had these horrible attacks. You're right about the water I have to drink more of that I hardly drink any! ( my fault!) Thanks for the reminder.
  • myoldselfback
    Options
    Thank you. WOw nice weight loss I hope I can make it there too!

I had no idea cinnamon aggrivated it that helps I know to avoid greasy foods ( I'm careful with that usually) but Pizza with a cinnamon bun was definitely the culprate!
    I really need to look into other foods to and yes again all of you are most right about the H2o! I think that in itself will make a big difference.
    Thanks again
  • myoldselfback
    Options
    Very interesting I've been wondering what the weight to water formula is for quite sometime.
    I hope the water and the cleanse helps ... The cleanse always has before but I really need to obviously smarten up about the water thing!
    Thanks
  • myoldselfback
    Options
    Doing the cleanse tomorrow for sure I'll let you know how it goes!
    My aunt who's sister was told ( and so was I ) from a scan not an ultrasound... the scans are more accurate, that her gall bladder was packed and she needed it removed . She was scheduled for surgery! My Aunt is very big on non invasive stuff so she researched into the best cleanse. She gave her sister and myself a copy and her sister did it went back for a second scan and it showed more room in her gall bladder quite a few stones were passed.

I did the cleanse as well and you can actually see the stones ( they say everyone has stones even if they don't get attacks) ( You can still get them after your gallbladder is removed but they get stuck in your liver and it's harder to get rid of them. ( Which makes me even more worried about a gallbladder removal) Unless absolutely necessary!

Anyhow I've done the cleanse about 5 or 6 times in the last 6 years and had 1 pregnancy after the first cleanse. It does work each time but you're suppossed to do it again every so often to completely remove all stones. I've never had as horrible as an attack as I did the very first attack ( felt like I was having a very long heart attack)
    So If you're interested I can send you the recipe.... I hate salt but compared to pain I would rather quickly swallow down the salt! You also lose 3-4 lbs in 2 days flushing out your system I suppose ( I actually lost 7 lbs the very first time)

It's not for weight loss though that's just an added bonus
  • myoldselfback
    Options
    I finally got up the courage to do the cleanse! I just finished this morning and yes I do feel better.
    I lost 2 lbs in one day as well! It does clean out the toxins that is for sure and it's not just water weight you lose . However
    I didn't do it for weight loss. but that never hurts! lol

The first time I did it I lost 7 lbs in 2 days I must have been really really unhealthy!

So for anyone who tries it make sure you add the I must have been really Vitamin C powder to the salt water