Its hard sometimes

Options
Its hard to keep going sometimes. I seem to get stuck at a certain weight and its frustrating. I am not able to wrokout an hr a day everyday because I have 4 kids and my husband works for 5 days in a row from dawn till dusk and I know these sound like excuses but i try really hard to do what I can when I can. Due to budget and the worlds 4 most pickiest eaters at my house its hard to eat ultra healthy so I watch my portions. And I have made big changes to my diet slowly but surely. Ive learned to sneak things in and we have been doing good about gettting our veggies and such in. I feel Im doing what I can when I can and nothing. Its taken me 2 yrs to lose 20 lbs of "baby fat". I have never had this hard of a time losing weight. I have 10 lbs and some toning to do and I feel like it will never happen. It is really hard to stay motivated when I see results once every 5 mths... grrrr just my rant today!! But today is sunny and beautiful and there are new mercies for me. So I will trudge along!!!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady. You got this.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is. But I like your attitude.
  • dmurray4
    Options
    Me too. I am able to workout for an hour 3xs per week, and track calories like crazy but I still only lose like a pound a week. GRRRRRR.It just sucks I feel like I have to try ten times harder to get the same results as everyone else.
  • dgage8
    dgage8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo, 20 pounds is a good accomplishment! Try not to get discouraged by the time it takes, but take heart in knowing you are moving in the right direction. :) I used to feel stuck making the same things all the time for my kids- but then one of my friends persuaded me to make one meal, and they either eat it or they go hungry. They now eat some green salads, chicken, almost all veggies, and other things that they never used to go for. Also, I have found that a few simple things at home (ordinary step stool for aerobic step, 4 lb dumbells, and a jump rope) let me get in 30 minute home workouts while I watch a TV show. I know it's super frustrating when you work so hard for so little success. But remember, we are all struggling and accomplishing together!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    We all have our obstacles, and we can either let them do their job and obstruct - or we can work around them. Looks like you're finding your way around them. :smile:
  • christinmarie
    christinmarie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm sorry this has been difficult. Are you able to work out at home?
    These are some of my favorite videos:
    http://www.ginmiller.com/gmf06/gmf_store/workouts/step_reebok/intense_moves.html (HARD!, but super easy to follow)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJEO24/ref=asc_df_B003YJEO241886292?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B003YJEO24 (Four? 25 minute circuit workouts)

http://www.amazon.com/Minna-Optimizer-Strength-Grace-VHS/dp/B000053V6P (much less intense, but fun)

Good luck!
  • dixonal
    dixonal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What if you would make it a game for everyone? Get everyone into eating healthy! Make a poster board with like gold stars (something kids would like) and at the end of a week/month/day whatever you decide, whoever has the most stars wins.

Now the question is, what are the gold stars a reward for (this is mostly for the kids)? Following the food guide pyramid? Maybe. Eating as close to the best recommended calorie intake for the age/height/weight per person? Maybe. Whoever is the most physically active that week? You decide! Then maybe the winner gets to pick a meal that you all share some night.

Also, keep finding "healthier" substitutions for meals. Try wheat pasta instead of regular. Switch to 1% milk instead of 2% (or something like that). Search for natural peanut butter instead of regular. Reduced calorie and sugar jelly instead of regular. The prices on these items are hardly different from the regular varieties. Trust me, with a college student income, there's virtually no difference!

Hope this helps!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    well, you're mom so however you eat, they will have to adapt and get use to it, or starve :)

number two, you don't need an hour to have a very effective workout, workout dvds are good for getting new ideas when you're on your own and to show that short and intense can bring great results. I recommend any Jillian Michael, Jackie personal trainer, any beachbody type programs, or whatever you like.

make sure to take measurements every month

also remember that weight loss is good, but eating right and exercising is a treat each and everyday for good health, focusing on just the number, will drive you insane. do it for the satisfaction of doing something good for yourself.
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    have you tried a work out video you can do at home? they are great!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    This is real life.
    Just keep punching no matter what.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It it really hard to be motivated when the scale doesn't budge, but you are rockin' it girlfriend! LOL. You have come an amazing way and the changes will help you in the long run, too. Don't give up, most people say the last ten pounds are the hardest! I am hoping to find that out for myself somewhere around 4th of July LOL! Some of the best exercises are planks, pushups, crunches and the like that hopefully the kids can get into with you. My 4yr old loves to do my Jillian workouts with me (without handweights, of course) and my 12yr old loves to do yoga with me. I have read some threads say their kids as young as 2 get involved. I know you can do this, you have come so far and to give up would feel more disappointing I would imagine. Just keep swimmin, Just keep swimmin!! LOL :drinker:
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What if you would make it a game for everyone? Get everyone into eating healthy! Make a poster board with like gold stars (something kids would like) and at the end of a week/month/day whatever you decide, whoever has the most stars wins.

Now the question is, what are the gold stars a reward for (this is mostly for the kids)? Following the food guide pyramid? Maybe. Eating as close to the best recommended calorie intake for the age/height/weight per person? Maybe. Whoever is the most physically active that week? You decide! Then maybe the winner gets to pick a meal that you all share some night.

Also, keep finding "healthier" substitutions for meals. Try wheat pasta instead of regular. Switch to 1% milk instead of 2% (or something like that). Search for natural peanut butter instead of regular. Reduced calorie and sugar jelly instead of regular. The prices on these items are hardly different from the regular varieties. Trust me, with a college student income, there's virtually no difference!

Hope this helps!
    this is a great idea, which I think would work for some of the kids maybe not the 2 older ones. thanks!!
  • lammy13
    Options
    hey people i have been using my app religously for the last month and have dramatically changed my diet and excercise! i am eating 1,200 calories a day and excercising about 4-5 times a week burning around 600 calories at a time and my weight is not changing :( im so disheartened, how long untill it will start budging!! has anyone else had this?? i thought i would have shifted the first few pounds quite quickly??? help me xx
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I use my three year old for weight training, and she thinks it is the best thing ever. :) Make it fun for the whole family! I know it's hard, I'm a mom and work full time outside of the home. I get up at 4 am to work out. At first it was difficult to get up that early, but now I actually enjoy it. It is peaceful, and I don't feel guilty taking time away from the family to exercise, because they are all asleep! It is now my cherished "me" time. You've already lost 20 pounds, which is terrific. You can do this....
  • abbigail_r
    Options
    It it really hard to be motivated when the scale doesn't budge, but you are rockin' it girlfriend! LOL. You have come an amazing way and the changes will help you in the long run, too. Don't give up, most people say the last ten pounds are the hardest! I am hoping to find that out for myself somewhere around 4th of July LOL! Some of the best exercises are planks, pushups, crunches and the like that hopefully the kids can get into with you. My 4yr old loves to do my Jillian workouts with me (without handweights, of course) and my 12yr old loves to do yoga with me. I have read some threads say their kids as young as 2 get involved. I know you can do this, you have come so far and to give up would feel more disappointing I would imagine. Just keep swimmin, Just keep swimmin!! LOL :drinker:

Yes Ive been doing a pushup, reverse crunch, squat, yoga routine every morning. my 2 year old does an excellent chair pose!! :) Im slowly starting to use it all to my advantage but a real workout ahs been proven difficult. still chugging, I am!!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    @iammy.....are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • melmist
    Options
    I totally relate to what you are going thru!
    There used to be a time when I could drop pounds relatively fast, then age/life snuck up on me! I've been struggling to lose my weight for awhile now. One thing that has consoled me when I really get down in the dumps is when I realized it didn't take me two/three months to put this weight on and it won't take me two or three months to get it off!

I've had people tell me to get up early to exercise before my day begins since I have kids, teach school, coach, have kids in extra-curricular activies, and a husband who travels. Well, that's easy for some-but my day starts at 5 a.m. anyway and making myself function on less than 7 hours of sleep would not be fair to those around me, as I would be a Queen B* on too little sleep for ME. I've also had people tell me to cook healthy and if the kids eat it they eat, if not they go hungry. That can work to a certain extent. My daughter is a great eater and this works for her. My son is not a great eater and there is much gnashing of teeth when I go hard core. I try though. One thing I've tried to do is not buy the stuff that would make my son say he would just not eat and then sneak food to his room. I've tried to make snacks a lot healthier and not have a lot of junk food. Also for me, since we go from sun up (leave the house at 6:40 a.m. and don't get home until 5 p.m. at the earliest) to sun down, I try to cook on Sundays. I cook several veggies and such so I'm not tempted to do quick and dirty when I'm tired. I also try to sneak veggies in to spaghetti since everyone will eat that.
    At one time, I weighed 98 pounds (graduating from high school-long time ago) and I will never weigh that again, nor do I want to. My hips are the hips of a momma and my body will never be like that. But that's okay. I don't want to be skinny, I want to be healthy and firm. So, I changed my mantra-I want to be feel good. So, if you are doing your best to eat right and exercising as much as you can, you are doing better than you were before. And even when I'm tired and the last thing that I want to do is make myself exercise, I never feel bad when I'm done exercising. I always feel better. I wish you luck!
  • abbigail_r
    Options
    I use my three year old for weight training, and she thinks it is the best thing ever. :) Make it fun for the whole family! I know it's hard, I'm a mom and work full time outside of the home. I get up at 4 am to work out. At first it was difficult to get up that early, but now I actually enjoy it. It is peaceful, and I don't feel guilty taking time away from the family to exercise, because they are all asleep! It is now my cherished "me" time. You've already lost 20 pounds, which is terrific. You can do this....
    I have NEVER been a morning person. Last year I tried almost daily and could NOT get out of bed before 7 (kids wake up at 730) but then this year Ive been getting up at 6. It is hard most days. but I have a ton of things to do in the am and if I know Im gonna workout am I dont get up. I cant immediately start working out or I give up. But in the last 2 weeks Ive incorporated a little 10 mins of yoga and various simple things that dont require a lot of energy. I hope it helps me!! I do feel better doing it!!
  • lammy13
    Options
    im afraid generally not, just because that's a lot of food to eat on top of my daily intake and i usually excercise in the evening. x
  • abbigail_r
    Options
    I totally relate to what you are going thru!
    There used to be a time when I could drop pounds relatively fast, then age/life snuck up on me! I've been struggling to lose my weight for awhile now. One thing that has consoled me when I really get down in the dumps is when I realized it didn't take me two/three months to put this weight on and it won't take me two or three months to get it off!

I've had people tell me to get up early to exercise before my day begins since I have kids, teach school, coach, have kids in extra-curricular activies, and a husband who travels. Well, that's easy for some-but my day starts at 5 a.m. anyway and making myself function on less than 7 hours of sleep would not be fair to those around me, as I would be a Queen B* on too little sleep for ME. I've also had people tell me to cook healthy and if the kids eat it they eat, if not they go hungry. That can work to a certain extent. My daughter is a great eater and this works for her. My son is not a great eater and there is much gnashing of teeth when I go hard core. I try though. One thing I've tried to do is not buy the stuff that would make my son say he would just not eat and then sneak food to his room. I've tried to make snacks a lot healthier and not have a lot of junk food. Also for me, since we go from sun up (leave the house at 6:40 a.m. and don't get home until 5 p.m. at the earliest) to sun down, I try to cook on Sundays. I cook several veggies and such so I'm not tempted to do quick and dirty when I'm tired. I also try to sneak veggies in to spaghetti since everyone will eat that.
    At one time, I weighed 98 pounds (graduating from high school-long time ago) and I will never weigh that again, nor do I want to. My hips are the hips of a momma and my body will never be like that. But that's okay. I don't want to be skinny, I want to be healthy and firm. So, I changed my mantra-I want to be feel good. So, if you are doing your best to eat right and exercising as much as you can, you are doing better than you were before. And even when I'm tired and the last thing that I want to do is make myself exercise, I never feel bad when I'm done exercising. I always feel better. I wish you luck!
    this almost sounds like my life!!! haha well Im not gone all day working but with a 2 yr old I cant get a lot of anything done on my own. I have been incorporating healthier foods and even sneaking healthier things inside...hehehe. I want to be healthy too. Ill even just take 5 lbs and toned a tad more. But its not happening. I still look pregnant and have ppl looking at me constantly wondering....haha I do feel better so thats good I just need to keep trudging along!! patience patience patience, right? :)