Brand Spanking New to MFP. How Did I Miss This?

Options
HOW I GOT HERE:

I have made iPhone app-buying a fine art. In fact, I believe at times that I am single-handedly keeping the app industry alive, so imagine my surprise when I typed "calorie counter", found MyFitnessPal and saw over 35 THOUSAND reviews and a 5-star rating.

"Posh!" I thought. "Nothing is that popular. I would have known about it." Funny how I like to think things don't exist until I discover them.

I was already using the Weight Watchers app and keeping track of points, but then I wanted to see if I went another route (simple calorie-counting so I don't have to do that extra layer of math), if there was something out there that might interest me. You had me at "Scanner". When I saw that, I was hooked.

Then I came and checked out the website, had fun with my profile and settings and everything is so clean and simple that I had to invest further.

MY JUMP IN THE POOL:

I've been messing around the forums a bit, reading articles and posts, and I already use the iPhone app. So I decided to jump in and say hi.

A few years back I went from 204 pounds to 140 on a BOOT CAMP medically-assisted shake fast. However, as soon as I was done and cramming in 1,400 calories a day again, that 140 was a distant memory. (Note: 1,400 calories and I was gaining, even exercising every day.) I like to think I gave it a kiss and then said goodbye, because I probably stayed that weight for about 25 minutes.

I settled in to around 150 and didn't fluctuate overly much. I had established an exercise routine of walking at least an hour or 2 to 4 miles most days and probably a good 6 - 10 mile hike on the weekend. But the last year was a steady incline and when I told myself that I'd "go on a diet" in the new year, I stopped fretting over that cookie or stressing over the extra serving of potatoes and I LET MYSELF GO. I didn't get on the scale for months because I was too scared.

I found out about a particular diet, which I am on now, which was recommended to me by a co-worker and since I wasn't taking counting points as seriously as I should, I knew I needed to reset my brain and go hard-core again. Because the easy stuff seems lost on me. I've been on this for a month now and have lost about 19 pounds. Soon I will be transitioning to more regular food and have determined that I'm going to try something I've never done before: count calories and pay attention to serving sizes.

I KNOW RIGHT?!

So, while I'm kicking and screaming and lamenting that apparently I can't eat any old thing I want without gaining weight and sometimes I really do need to stop feeding boredom or stress, I'm hopeful that since the weight loss is the easy part (it really is - it's the keeping it off that kicks you in the hindquarters), I'll get my stuff together and determine that this is something I need to think of as a lifestyle, not a punishment.

Yeah, I'm not there yet. But, I'm nothing if not a work in progress!

Nice to meet you all!

~M

Replies

• ValReaves
    ValReaves Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi...and Welcome! Feel free to add me as a friend for support and encouragement!
    Val :-)
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    :smile: Welcome & good luck on the journey!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Welcome! That was about the best Intro post I've seen!

Your calorie-app days are finished. This is all you need.

Good luck!
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That was a great post!! You are going to really enjoy being on this site, there is much to love!! Welcome, and God bless you on your journey!!:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • Miskela
    Options
    Done! Let's be buds!
  • Miskela
    Options
    Thanks, lupa01! God bless you, too!
  • Miskela
    Options
    I should probably just send private messages so I don't spam my own post, but thanks for the kind words, people!
    How sweet you are!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have found the mobile app to be essential. I used to have a pocket PC and was essentially doing this on my own using Excel. It worked great until my pocket PC died. I just couldn't get the same results trying to log my food later on a desktop PC, and it didn't allow me to make decisions on portion size at the time I was eating. Plus the data base and barcode scanner has saved me a massive amount of effort gathering calorie data.

One thing that may have allowed you to lose weight on shakes but not on food is that the shakes ensure adequate nutrition. Don't just pay attention to keeping calories low. Make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need, like protein and calcium. Your body can make fat with empty calories, but it can't make much else.
  • nitnole711
    Options
    Love this place, love this app!! Its soooo easy .... Friend me if you want, we can support each other!
  • cutiekay99
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome to mfp!!! I felt the same way you did when I first discovered this app on my iphone, I was thinking "How could I have not known about this?" This is the best weight loss tool I have ever stumbled across and it's FREE! The support and info that you gather here is priceless. I love mfp! Feel free to add me if you'd like.