Getting over my fear of the weight room

Options
When I'm on the base gym, and all the pararescue dudes are lifting tons and grunting, it's very intimidating. It took me a while, but I finally got over it. I decided the trick is to not think about anybody else. I try to clear my mind and just concentrate on what I'm doing, not what the people around me are doing.

still, it's hard to ignore the 'ergh'... *blam!* of 100lbs+ deadlifts, or whatever the heck they decided to do that day.

Replies

• KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    Wearing headphones solves that problem for me!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Glad you got over it!!
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    How do you figure out what you should be doing in the weight room. I would love to do it, but don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i love the weight room and all the high energy in it .. everyone is at different levels ..im a 52yo female and i go in the weight rooms all the gym rats hang out in ..makes me want to work harder and i feed off their energy
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I HATE the weight room! I was actually a little scared of it at first. I have been going in there per my trainers orders for about a month now and it has gotten easier. It alwasy seems there are a lot of very muscle-y guys in there and they look at you funny if you are not the same. I walked around with my little sheet that told me what do to and how to do it.... They can kiss it.... I'm there for me, not them! I have gotten much better at ingoring the ones that are still jerks and some have actually started talking to me and trying to help me out......
  • rayleansout
    Options
    People who are gym rats, myself included actually love to see new people coming in and working hard, unless they are not working hard. Its not how much you can lift its that your doing the work, keep going and soon you will be inducted into the club, youll get the head nod, meaning - I aknowledge your awesomenss first sign that your soon to be in in the club! Soon when you come in the gym - all rats will know your name. When this happens its official your a rat.

If you want the process to move faster dont be shy introduce yourself to people. ask them a question and then say whats your name. Hell half the reason that motivates me to get to the gym some days is the fact that my rat pack will be there.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    People who are gym rats, myself included actually love to see new people coming in and working hard, unless they are not working hard. Its not how much you can lift its that your doing the work, keep going and soon you will be inducted into the club, youll get the head nod, meaning - I aknowledge your awesomenss first sign that your soon to be in in the club! Soon when you come in the gym - all rats will know your name. When this happens its official your a rat.

If you want the process to move faster dont be shy introduce yourself to people. ask them a question and then say whats your name. Hell half the reason that motivates me to get to the gym some days is the fact that my rat pack will be there.

Haha I must be nearly in the club, this morning I got 3 hey's and one new intro from the pack, I don't think they all know my name yet, maybe I'll get it printed on my shirt :P I like the bigs weights room, there is more focus and people are clearly there to work. Plus I find the people I talk to have far better advice and similar interests to me :) It's funny when I first started in there I felt like I was being sized up, not in a mean way, but in a "is she serious or just having a lark in here" way. But since I've been seeing the same people every second day for week after week that has changed to just being plain friendly :)
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    keep going and soon you will be inducted into the club, you'll get the head nod, meaning - I acknowledge your awesomeness
    That made me smile. And I remember the first "hey" I got. I felt awesome that day!
  • admanMike
    admanMike Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    There are often a handful of huge dudes in gyms but don't let them keep you from achieving your goals. You pay the same membership fee they do.

Some of them are good guys and can be a useful resource on equipment, technique, etc. Others are meatheads and, well at least they can at least be cheap form of entertainment.

The bottom line... get in there and get your workout on!
  • AmandaDaley
    AmandaDaley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer to show me what to do at first, but here's some pointers for those of you who don't have that luxury:
    If you feel pain, stop and re-*kitten*
    Start with the lightest weight and move up
    Dudes love it when you ask them for help, it makes them feel important and generally gains you respect.