Thoughts on wine consumption

Options
I admit I like wine. I can't seem to give up my daily dose of wine at the end of the day (and after my workout :smile: ). Any thoughts on how harmful this habit is to achieving my weight loss goals? I"m talking about 2 glasses in the evening, about 5 nights a week. I tend to not drink wine on weekends -- guess it's just that job stress, lol.

Replies

• AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    For me it hasn't stopped my weight loss. I do however, include it in my calorie count if I have a glass in the evenings. And I make sure it is only 6oz (which is a serving for the type I drink). HTH.
  • BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    As long as it's counted with the rest of your calories I don't think it's a big deal. I like my beer and will have 1 or 2 most nights of the week, I just make sure to track it like I would anything else. There are proven heart heatlhy effects (due to the antioxidants and resveratrol) with having 1-2 glasses of wine most nights of the week :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As long as you count the calories and stay within your goals it won't hinder your weight loss. At least it didn't mine. I met my goal last April and have lost 7 additional beyond my goal since then. And I drink a couple of glasses every evening and more on the weekends.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I always count it with my cals - amazingly it made me cut back on it so much when I realised that I had to choose between wine and food and food won in my case! I didn't find it hindered my weight loss.

I save some exercise cals up during the week though so I have the chance to go out for meals and drink wine guilt free! x
  • Denkko
    Denkko Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts on this subject. I have been counting the calories toward my daily intake, so no worries there. Unfortunately, it's that last little entry that sends my count just barely over the bar. LOL. Guess I need to exercise more!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i have lost 30 lbs since august. i drink about 2-3 days per week most week, 1 glasses of wine, or beer, or whatever i have (rum, etc.) it has not hindered my weight loss at all. i include it in my diary, and make sure to "save" enough calories for it if i want it. there have been very few times when i've actually had more than 1 glass and gone over calories. still hasn't seem to have a negative affect.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I drink wine just about every day. I have a glass or two a couple hours before dinner, usually while I'm cooking. I tend not to drink it with meals, because your body burns alcohol calories before any others, giving your food calories a greater chance of being stored as fat. Even if this is just a theory, it seems to be working for me. I don't count my wine calories, but I also don't eat back my exercise calories, so it pretty much evens out. I'm still losing! :)
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I would drink red wine over white, but other than that, you should be fine. It's pretty important to enjoy your life! :wink:
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm all for it! LOL I found that alcohol generally interfered with my weight loss when consumed daily. Having said that, I limited myself to one 5 oz. glass on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights and lost weight with no problem.
  • magicalamanda
    magicalamanda Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wine really isn't that bad for you. On the contrary it's really good for you! Having a 3oz glass of regular red table wine is low in calories, it's good for your heart, and it can really help you to relax! The problem with wine is that most people don't know what a serving is and after two glasses they've drunk half of a bottle! A regular serving of wine is about 3oz so in a wine glass the bottom of the glass and a couple of centimeters up!! Hope this helps. I love wine too!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it! Especially on the weekends :]

I understand that! College kid, so after a couple of hard exams =

weneedmorebeer.gif
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I suck and have no interesting vices (diet coke has been my only one). But recently I began drinking champagne/sparkling wine just because I can. I'm not going to feel guilty and I doubt I'll burn in hell. =p
  • mikki3
    mikki3 Posts: 63
    Options
    My evening wine is important for my sanity :wink: I found it interfered with my weight loss only because it made me go over my calorie limit. I'm now measuring my glasses (what I thought was 4 ounces was really 6!) and making sure it gets into my diary. If I go over one day, I'll do more cardio the next to help make up for it.
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I enjoy my wine as well, and have been know to exercise specifically to make room for some. :wink: I always count it. I have lost about 60 lbs since last April, so obviously it hasn't hindered my weight loss.
  • Rascoundrel
    Options
    My dr. recommended a glass of red every night, which I am more than happy to do (sometimes 2!). I also include it in my count. "Should Women Drink Wine for Their Health?" http://t.meredith.ly/Ia5eeuc
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I have a couple glasses of red wine every night practically!!! I do include it in my calories and if I know I'm going to have a little more, I'll exercise a little more!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • KristyGirl8
    KristyGirl8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i too LOVE my wine... but I think you have to cut it down to 1 glass a day. I'm pretty sure that's the recomended quantity for women. Maybe 2 on Friday or Saturday night? It's so hard! Once i have 1 glass, it's hard to say no to a 2nd!
  • Bailey543
    Options
    I have a glass of dry red wine every night. EVERY night. I still have lost.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my wine as well, and have been know to exercise specifically to make room for some. :wink: I always count it. I have lost about 60 lbs since last April, so obviously it hasn't hindered my weight loss.

I do the same thing!! Exercise to make room for it!:bigsmile:
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    So I find I don't lose on weeks that I drink more than 1 a night. I can't give it up so try to have just one a night a couple nights during the week and then just drink on one weekend night. Otherwise my scale doesn't move!