carb senstitive??

Options
mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
Is anyone else REALLY sensitive to carbs? I find that if I eat like next to no carbs, I can lose several pounds. However, as soon as i try to add them back in (just 50-70 a day) I gain weight back. This makes it VERY difficult to lose weight.

VERY DISCOURAGED

Replies

• mjj79
    Options
    Is anyone else REALLY sensitive to carbs? I find that if I eat like next to no carbs, I can lose several pounds. However, as soon as i try to add them back in (just 50-70 a day) I gain weight back. This makes it VERY difficult to lose weight.

VERY DISCOURAGED
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of carbs you're talking about. Anything refined makes me bloatedy-bloat-bloated, and want more refined carbs.

Complex carbs, vegetables and fruits don't do this to me. A nutritious diet needs complex carbs. They give you energy, fibre and nourish your brain!

Experiment with what type of carbs you eat, and notice if that makes a difference. I've recently discovered that I have a sensitivity to wheat. Since eliminating it, I've noticed a huge difference.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I am very carb sensitive and addictive.....however some carbs are needed to balance you diet out. Just stick to the good clean ones!

dd
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    it also depends on how active you are. if you're more sedentary, then you should cut more carbs.
  • mjj79
    Options
    yeah, I;m not especially active. usually only work out 3 x a week. (Just harder to do more.)

Thanks for the help.
  • K.Ann
    K.Ann Posts: 37
    Options
    Oh yea whenever I eat a lot of carbs in one day I get the dreaded carb bloat the next day. But it's also helps in a good way because it is easy to loose if you avoid the carbs.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Yes, I actually did a post on this topic, for many years I have suffered from hypoglycemia . I had to monitor how many carb grams in each meal I had before I started to feel wonky. My carb threshold is no more than 25 grams in one sitting. You should monitor yours and see what happens. I find if I stay under 25 grams at a sitting, my appetite stays under control for the day, I don't get headaches, bloating or fatigue.:smile:

Anne
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm carb sensitive too. I had lost a bunch of weight doing Atkins and then gained some back. I am now doing the cutting the calorie thing and its not working out for me but......I do feel so much better. My skin has cleared up and I'm not so cranky anymore. I just find that because I am not eating +/- 30g of carbs a day I tend to stay the same weight - ish.
    If you actually keep your carbs really low (not including cheese and red meat) you will notice that your calorie count is really low too!
    Play with both. Maybe keep your calories at whatever is recommended and move your carbs down to 45. If after a week your still not losing, try 40, then 35, then 30 or whatever works for you. Keep your water consumption quite high though - its key when dieting in general but even moreso when you are counting carbs.
    Remember its gonna take a couple of days to see results from the way you are eating/drinking on the scale.
    Stay positive and keep moving.
    :happy:
  • jason7
    jason7 Posts: 20
    Options
    I had that problem and couldn't lose a pound for three months. I decided to cut down on the carbs and am really starting to lose weight. I tend to go with more protein than carbs. Not much more, because I don't want to get close to the Atkins plan. It has really helped. Everybody is different.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I did Adkins last year and found that yes, I did lose weight, but I also found that ( for me) my heart would race( like it was running a marathon in my chest). I added carbs back in and no more heart palpatations for me.

I have actually lost more weight eating what I want (within my daily calories) then cutting out certain foods altogether.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Wow...I never knew about that...or even thought about it. I'm going to start monitoring it too. Thanks!