Smoking and Exercise?

Options
Has anyone here given up smoking recently? How much of an effect has it had on your overall fitness levels do you think and over what sort of time span can you expect to see results?

Cheers x

Replies

• sexyagainbysummer
    sexyagainbysummer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i myself am a smoker and working out :( i need to quit. when i get to running on the treadmill i cant breathe. almost like an anxiety attack. r u quitting?
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just. 1 day smoke free but I am not even tempted.

I do not ever want another one again - it's just another thing stopping me from being where I want to be really :)
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I recommend Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It's fairly incredible.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I quit last year after I tried to start running again. Before I quit I could not run a mile. After I quit, I waited about two weeks and when I went out to run I could easily run a mile. Now, after a year, I run 60 to 90 miles each week.

You will see benefits to your athletic ability within a week or two. Things continue to get better after that.
  • blazeybug87
    Options
    Yaaay Thanks Scott that's great news - I didn't expect it to impact so soon :)
  • blazeybug87
    Options
    Am using patches and getting on okay with them, totally taken away my cravings and reduced it to a 'hmmm I fancy a ciggie', which is quite easy to ignore.

I think they may be giving me some bizarre dreams though - last night I was hunted down and chased by millions of rats. All very odd...
  • McKristy
    Options
    You will see a huge difference. You'll be able to breathe better which means you can work harder. I felt the effects right away, but they were measurable results a few months after I quit.
  • cmeripped
    Options
    I am a smoker and I do 60 min of cardio every morning and every other day wieght training. I'm not saying it is an ideal situation..however I dont allow a smoke 2 hours before or after a workout. So up at 4am...cant smoke till the cardio is done and a 30 minute stair charge...
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am ONE MONTH SMOKE FREE and it has made a huge difference. I am a runner and it now is not such a struggle and I have notice my calorie burns are lower since my heart is not working as hard and getting more oxegyn!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I use an electronic cigarette, you just inhale vapor and nicotine. Highly recommended.
    That's what I use also. It really works.
  • blazeybug87
    Options
    I am ONE MONTH SMOKE FREE and it has made a huge difference. I am a runner and it now is not such a struggle and I have notice my calorie burns are lower since my heart is not working as hard and getting more oxegyn!

Very well done to you!!!!!
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I smoked through the fourth month of training, but then just couldn't any longer. I couldn't breathe during the workouts with my trainer. Quitting has made a tremendous amount of difference for me! I've been smoke free for almost two years and have much better lung capacity.
  • wendyd18
    Options
    I stopped 11 weeks ago and tbh i have found it difficult at times, i have been tempted but have stayed strong. I have found it easier to ensure i have kept away from any friends that smoke too. even though i miss them very much, i know it will be worth it in the end.
    I certainly feel much better fitter for definate. I also have a much stronger sense of smell oh and food tastes diffferent.
    The only down side was the weight i put on hence why i joined MFP.
    I dont feel so tired anymore and can walk much further and faster without think im going to die
    keep up the good work
    feel free to add me, i will support you with the non smoking all the way
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Am using patches and getting on okay with them, totally taken away my cravings and reduced it to a 'hmmm I fancy a ciggie', which is quite easy to ignore.

I think they may be giving me some bizarre dreams though - last night I was hunted down and chased by millions of rats. All very odd...

this is why I stopped using the patch. It was interfering with my sleep-so I have done it pretty much cold turkey!
  • blazeybug87
    Options
    I am a smoker and I do 60 min of cardio every morning and every other day wieght training. I'm not saying it is an ideal situation..however I dont allow a smoke 2 hours before or after a workout. So up at 4am...cant smoke till the cardio is done and a 30 minute stair charge...

It's really good that you can do that :) I have really low fitness levels to start with and I know quitting is going to help boost my ability so really feel driven to do it.

You are better than me - 4am?! *shivers in horror*
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    im not ready to quit.

i enjoy smoking, dont smoke a huge amount and roll my own with tips.

i also need to drop weight before i even consider it.
  • blazeybug87
    Options
    I smoked through the fourth month of training, but then just couldn't any longer. I couldn't breathe during the workouts with my trainer. Quitting has made a tremendous amount of difference for me! I've been smoke free for almost two years and have much better lung capacity.

Well done!!!
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I really want to quit smoking, as a way to improve my health even more, but I really don't have the willpower to do it at the same time as changing my eating habits, so it will have to wait until I have got that a little more stable I think.

Good luck with it, and well done, it's such a hard thing to do, and the first day is one of the hardest :flowerforyou:
  • blazeybug87
    Options
    I stopped 11 weeks ago and tbh i have found it difficult at times, i have been tempted but have stayed strong. I have found it easier to ensure i have kept away from any friends that smoke too. even though i miss them very much, i know it will be worth it in the end.
    I certainly feel much better fitter for definate. I also have a much stronger sense of smell oh and food tastes diffferent.
    The only down side was the weight i put on hence why i joined MFP.
    I dont feel so tired anymore and can walk much further and faster without think im going to die
    keep up the good work
    feel free to add me, i will support you with the non smoking all the way

Thanks - will add if that's okay?

The only part I am worried about is when I have a drink as I know I will crave one. Am using my lifecoaching and NLP techniques to try and convince myself otherwise but I just know myself too well. Looks like I might be teetotal for a while too - What a barrel of laughs I am going to be!! HA
  • Cupcake1015
    Cupcake1015 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I quit almost 8 weeks ago. I started exercising more when I quit because I was afraid I would gain weight. I've lost 6 pounds, can breathe a lot easier, and feel great! you can do it! I smoked for 13 years, and if I can stop smoking, you can too!