The HEAVY lifting thread

Any body else here into the "power lifting" / "Olympic lifting" style of strength training?

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Yep 99% of my routines have

Squats (atg)
    deadlifts
    bench
    OHP
    Snatch, DB & BB
    Cleans
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    I focus on compound lifts, isolation lifts should be left for fine tuning your physique, but usually compounds will hit most muscle groups. I like to go heavy 6-8 reps max
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Alright cool, I was hoping there were some of us meatheads on here. :)
    Addisondiseas, my routines look pretty much exactly like yours. I'm working on over head squats right now. They're tricky.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    I agree, i relax my shoulders too much after a few reps of OHS ):
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    Goblet Squats, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Deadlifts, and Pendlay Rows are the core of my lifting. I have 2-3 accessory lifts I have in there too.
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    I know the arms are supposed to be locked and wide on OHS, but I also start bending mine after a few of them. I'm assisting with lot's of wide OHP that I then hold at the top.

Had to look up goblet squats Nope.
  • I keep most of my gym time to bench-180 squat-245lbs deads 325lbs. this makes up my standard lifting...Iuse to be competitive in powerlifting, along with my brother, who is still currently ranking in the nationals..but i've swayed into bodybuilding, adding in isolation, and higher rep schemes...it's working nicely...but honestly compound is the way to lift.
  • Yep. All my workouts are heavy. Heavy being defined as the heaviest I could lift during that session for reps. This was done at the end of my workout after doing reps of 8 for all weights below. I had a little more in the tank but knew I would be pushing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOy6KesMQlw&feature=player_embedded
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    I keep most of my gym time to bench-180 squat-245lbs deads 325lbs. this makes up my standard lifting...Iuse to be competitive in powerlifting, along with my brother, who is still currently ranking in the nationals..but i've swayed into bodybuilding, adding in isolation, and higher rep schemes...it's working nicely...but honestly compound is the way to lift.

damn...looks like I have some work to do! nice #'s!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Yep 99% of my routines have

Squats (atg)
    deadlifts
    bench
    OHP
    Snatch, DB & BB
    Cleans

this might be a really stupid question - but when you say OHP. do you mean military press? Or is this something different.

I am a pretty new to squatting regularly, so think I will keep the OHS at bay for awhile. :bigsmile: that looks tricky!
  • overhead press is a barbell over the head with legs basically in the locked out position. No bouncing. Feet are also shoulder width apart.
  • I have done alot of different variations in weightlifting from isolation exercises to compounds. I myself like the compound movements for the core strength gains and for bulking. I have followed the Stronglifts 5x5 program for a while now and have made tremendous gains in it. It really targets the core muscles. I would recommend it to anyone need to build core strength.