Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hi all. I am new to the site. Started P90x today . I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good heart rate monitor that is not super expensive. I have a watch one but it doesn't tell me calories burned and I am hearing the chest strap HRM's are better. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am new to the site. Started P90x today . I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good heart rate monitor that is not super expensive. I have a watch one but it doesn't tell me calories burned and I am hearing the chest strap HRM's are better. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

I have the Polar F6. It was about $100 but I think the F4 is less. I really like mine and am glad I paid the extra for the quality.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have to bowflex brand and it's awesome. It's also about $100... But I got mine at Big 5 Sporting Goods, they had a sale and got it almost 60% off!!!

Look around for sales!!! Sometimes you can get great deals!!!
  • Skagirl
    Skagirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Precision-Trainer-XT-Monitor/dp/B0012RMZ6C

I love it and got a great deal from Amazon. $29 I think. Keep your eye out at amazon as they run deals on HRMs regularly.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    you get what you pay for... keep that in mind. I bought a polar f6 because of the great reviews and lots of people I know use them. It's great, no complaints!! I paid $129 CAD for it and it was worth every penny.
  • tvfit
    tvfit Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar and paid around $90. One feature I love is that the cardio machines at the gym can read my HRM chest strap and so I don't need to look at the watch or even wear it when I'm using them. I don't know if all brands are compatible with those machines, so if that's of interest to you, you might ask at your gym.

I love my HRM and totally rely on it to calculate my exercise calories (so I can eat more!). Good luck!
  • ltfrombc
    ltfrombc Posts: 22
    Options
    I have a timex HRM. I have had it for two weeks and It works great. It has everything I wanted. It cost 110.00 CAD.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar f4 and it does the job for me. It was about sixty bucks at Target. It calculates calories burned and works well in the water. It's a little touchy on where exactly you put the band, but once I got used to it, it was fine.

I wanted the f6, but I'm saving it as a reward when I lose fifty pounds. I figure by then I'll probably want one with more bells and whistles since I'll be working out more strenuously.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you can pick up an F6 on ebay for about 90 bucks. it's good because it has the coded chest strap, which means if you're in a gym with other HRM users, it won't be interfered with by other HRM's.

In any case, which ever one you buy, make sure it has the chest strap or another means to directly measure your heart rate, those wrist only ones only estimate your heart rate, and that's just not good enough for real cardio IMHO.

regards
  • Itiswell
    Itiswell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for you're feedback! It is much appreciated.:smile: