Hi! Are there any other horseback riders out there?

Options
Hi!

I am a 21 year old customer service rep. I am somewhat new to MFP and definitely new to the idea of losing weight and eating right.

I would LOVE some new friends on here -- I'd love some motivation and support from like minded people! I was especially curious to know if there were any other horseback riders out there? I have a 33 year old Quarter Horse and part of my motivation is slimming down so I can buy myself a brand new saddle!

I'm open to all friends, but it'd be super cool to have some horse buddies on here, too!

Amanda :D

Replies

• Sullivanwilson
    Sullivanwilson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello - I ride! That's me and my guy in the picture. He's been in semi retirement for a few years now and I *hope* he makes it to 33! Wow, that is a grand old age for a horse.

Good luck on your journey! I don't check in to the boards much, but it's nice to have a fellow rider here. :) It's too bad mucking stalls isn't in the exercise database because it darn well should be!
  • mandapandaxx
    Options
    Right?! And lugging water buckets! I'm sure there are alternatives you can put in...but it would be much more fun to be able to log it correctly!

I love the markings on your gelding! And the big giant jump you're hurdling over. I ride western so the thought of jumping something like that gives me the willies...haha!!

My guy is the chestnut in my profile picture there -- he sure doesn't ACT 33, either! Sometimes I wonder if his papers are wrong and he was born in 2009, not 1979 ;D He's still full tilt on the trails and nothing slows him down. It's partially because of him that I need to lose weight -- he may not act 33, but I worry for his back because my butt is so dang big!

Amanda
  • loosetorideagain
    loosetorideagain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Trace. I live in Warwickshire and have 2 horses. Humphrey is a 16yr old Clydesdale x Shire and I have owned him for 9 years in March. We did a lot of jumping until 5yrs ago when he was diagnosed with sidebone in both front legs so we changed to dressage. Not your typical dressage horse Humph did really well up to Novice level. Middle of last year he was diagnosed with arthritus in all 4 legs which meant apart from a walk and the odd trot he is now fully retired from competition. I love him to bits.

Blue is a piebald cob. Just 20months old, I have owned him for 9months. I rescued him from the meat man. He has a blue eye (hence his name) and nobody wanted him. He is the most loving and fun horse to own. He should make around 16.2hh. He has gone from a boney, scared little thing into a confident well built boy... He is a star and Im sure given time will make a lovely riding horse.

How many horses do you own and do you compete?

Please feel free to add me if you want to

Trace xx
  • mandapandaxx
    Options
    Hi Trace!

I just have my one -- 33 year old Quarter Horse gelding, GP. He doesn't know he's 33, though :) I just trail ride, though I've ridden saddleseat and reining in past years. I have an obsession with gaited horses, too!

Your two are lovely!

Amanda :D
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow 33!!! Thats impressive!! I have a 9 year old QH mare that I show western and english pleasure. Part of my motivation is to fit back into some of my old show clothes!! Would love to make some horsey friends :-)
  • kodijhill
    kodijhill Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    hi im kodi and i have 2 horses a appy mare and a quarter/arab mare i love them both and want to slim down to ride better as well since i dotn feel my extra weight plus the saddle helps a horse nice to meet you!!!
  • mellylab
    mellylab Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello all,

I am horseback rider and own 2 horses (an arabian (Cosmo 14yrs) and morgan (Blue20yrs)), I ride English. I just had my 3rd child and need to loose about 20lbs. I had just lost 40lbs before getting pregnant and my main focus was getting into shape and less heavy for my arabian horse. It was a great motivation and hope this time will do the same. Both horses are here at the farm, I am happy to have them here cause all the work keeps me in shape. Its hard to get and stay in shape but having horses and riding I think gives us an outlet to help relieve stress (stress will pack on pounds) an outlet to do exercise, a very neutral person that loves us no matter what but is willing to help us stay in shape if that is what we want. ITS AN AWESoME DEaL

Happy to meet all of yous, new to this site.
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi , it's great to see all the riders here. Here's a quick story-
    For Xmas last year my BF wanted to get me Botox. I was kinda shocked, but I said ok , what the heck. While we were driving there
    I was wondering why we were going to Ocala, and not somewhere closer. He pulled into a beautiful equestrian center and surprised me with a gorgeous Palomino quarter horse ! His show name is now "Better than Botox". I also have a thoroughbred and an OTT standardbred, I've been riding since I was a kid, and try to ride every day.
  • jennjoslin
    Options
    Hi, I am a 53 and used to ride H/Jumpers when I was younger. I had 30 years off and a few years ago I started three day eventing, a combination of dressage, show jumping and XC. While I'm only at the lower levels, I really am challenged by it. I have a TB mare named Bella, a 33 yr old Qtr/Welsh pony named Jubilee, and a 15.1 hh paint/arab cross who I lease to a college student.

The pictures of my last event have really motivated me to lose 20 lbs. I am strong but there is a lot of extra chub over those muscles. Anyone compete hunter jumpers or eventing out there?
  • shirefeathers
    Options
    I wish I was. :( I loooooove horses.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I have 2 ponies in my herd - Bella is a Dark Bay QH, she stands 14.3 hands and is stout built (like me:P) She was a college equestrian learning horse and a back country pack horse for years. Miss Bella is 16 years old and is my rider. We also have a Beautiful Appy - Palamino Cricket, she is a former working roper, she is 14.6 hands and is my hubbies rider she is 14 years old. Hubby and I are new horse people (I rode growing up, worked as the pet sitter for friends), we are part of the Back Country Horsemen out of California - Sequoia Unit. We live in the mountains and have our horses just outside our door. There are 11 horses total on our 17 acres. I LOVE riding, and I am anxious to get the weight off so my lil stout girl can get a break. She is a bit sway back and high withered, so I worry for her with my big butt on top :P
  • ILoveMyLifeee
    Options
    33 is a fantastic age! :) I currently own a bay connemara mare which I do mainly jumpers on, but this summer I may try hunters as well which is why I'm trying to get in shape.
  • drodriguez91
    Options
    I love horses! My parents put me on a horse the minute I could sit up on my own. I live in NYC so no horses for me here. Sadly I only really get to ride when I visit the Dominican Republic once or twice a year. But if i'm there 2-3 weeks then I ride everyday for those 2-3 weeks. If only I could ride in NY! :(
  • kramermj
    kramermj Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just found this thread! so glad to see some folks who have similar interests....HORSES!!
    I more or less got involved w/ horses when my then 13 yr old daughter went to a horseback riding scout camp, she then talked her dad into buying her a horse and the rest is history. she is now 26 and I've been riding all this time too!! love it!!!
    I have a 24 yr old QH who is a love, he just wants to be in your pocket.
    I'm trying to get the winter flub off so I don't put a lot of strain on him. we just trail ride; no stress!!
    would love to chat w/ middle aged horse people w/ similar interest....