Does anyone else have PCOS?

Options
I have PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome), I've been told by Dr.'s its harder for women with it to loose weight, and at the same time I've been told that if I do loose just 50 pounds it'll greatly increase my chances of getting pregnant. My husband and I really want kids, it just hasn't happened yet. I've tried to loose weight in the past but I can never get below a size 14 women's. I'm currently a size 18 and have just fluctuated between sizes 14-20 for the past 10 years. So I'm really pushing myself and determined to really do it this time around! It would be great if anyone else with PCOS, could send some motivation or their stories my way.

Replies

• wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yes I do and struggle. THe highest I got to was 280. I was down to 180 but here recently gained 20 back YUCK. Back to wroking on it.

And yes just a smidgen of weight loss will jump start your body to try to get pg. Any questions ask.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    It can be done. I also have PCOS.

There is a group for PCOS right here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/170-pcos-cysters-losing-together

:)
  • Sophie983
    Sophie983 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. No problems though ...
    My gynecologist recommended low GI diet.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed at 16 here. Don't let it stop you from trying! I figure I work just as hard as everyone else trying to lose weight.

I'd encourage you to do some studying though. Look into Wheat Belly, Why We Get Fat, and Deep Nutrition. A lot of the PCOS problem can be helped along by proper diet and active lifestyle.

Here's a couple links, too:
    http://www.primaltoad.com/pcos/
    http://adietitiangonepaleo.wordpress.com/
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi i have pcos, i also have 2 children and have lost weight - Good luck - feel free to add me : ) xx
  • ginareejoy
    ginareejoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too...dropped 50 pounds in 5 months..no type of special diet. Just countin calories ;) Feel free to add me if you like!
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    Yes, ma'am. I have the double whammy of PCOS and Fibromyalgia. I've tried drugs, etc. to control them. The best thing I have found is exercise. Losing weight is really hard. I can only encourage you to keep trying. Despite the PCOS, I have managed to have two beautiful children. The second required some medical help to get started. It is possible though! Hang in there!
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've lost 47lbs since September, so it can definitely be done. For me I definitely have to watch where the calories come from though. I sometimes envy people that can lose weight simply by restricting their calories - but that does not work for me. I have to stay clear of fast carbs and I try to eat as low GI as I possibly can. That means being picky with fruit even, and not eating things like pineapple and bananas, no matter how healthy they might sound to someone without PCOS.
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have pcos, got pregnant following super strict healthy low calorie, low carb, low GI diet. Ideally give up - wheat, gluten, sugar (including other high GI sweet things like honey, dried fruit), other white carbs eg white rice, anything processed or with additives. Makes a massive difference, need to keep insulin levels totally stable and also lose weight.

I followed the advice in this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-PCOS-Handbook-fertility-self-esteem/dp/0007213255/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328393055&sr=8-1
  • mstankowski
    mstankowski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS. I have always hard a hard time with weight gain. I have tried several diets but the only thing that seems to work is a lower carb diet. I have also had sucess with being on metforin to help lose weight when I was trying to get pregnant. I have fluctucated from a size 16-22 in the last 10 years. Most of the time I have been in the 18 range. I am in the size 20 range now and I really would love to be in a 12. It will be a hard road and sometimes it is discouraging when your friends try a fad diet and it works well for them and you look at a piece of bread and gain 5 lbs. MFP has really helped me keep track of things. I think it's time for me to move to the lower carb (not a NO CARB) diet. We can support each other. BTW I have 3 boys now. Feel free to add me.
  • Ceebee37
    Options
    I do!! It is a struggle! I have lost weight, and gained a bit back, but I find you have to keep on top of the food/exercise, or it is easy to slip back and gain. I strugled to conceive, but did manage after 15 months, and then straightaway with my second. I was a lot bigger too than I am now. Add me as a friend if you like!
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance (have you been tested for that?) and have been on Metformin the past 6 months. I've not had any problems losing weight once I set my mind to it, and I hope that I'll continue to lose weight once I go off the Metformin (in a few days). I am only 10 pounds overweight now, I've lost about 45 in the past 6 months.
    I am not trying to get pregnant but I do hope that getting healthy now will make it easier for me when I do in the future.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It can be done. I also have PCOS.

There is a group for PCOS right here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/170-pcos-cysters-losing-together

:)
    I can't seem to get that page to open. It goes straight back to the forum index for me. Does anyone know why? I would love to join.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I know you can have kids with PCOS, but for me I keep having miscarries, usually when I do lose 10-15 pounds is when I get pregnant, but never get past the 1st trimester. I don't have health coverage, so no I haven't looked into treatments or anything. I'm just trying to focus on being healthy right now and not the getting pregnant. At this point we both still have being parents in the back of our minds, but are content with our feline children, for now. Plus heart problems, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and just being fat run in my family. Dealing with PCOS is enough, for me right now and want to keep away from the any other health problems.
  • dorairwin
    Options
    I also have PCOS. :sad:
  • Cris725
    Options
    I have PCOS. Most of my extra weight is in my belly too. Totally frustrating. I'm not pregnant, but I certainly look like I am. But I'm hoping to get that under control. I think the thing that I'm struggling with the most at this moment is that I keep seeing people talk about cheat days. I refuse to take one because I'm terrified that the weight I've lost is going to come back. Its definitely harder for us to lose and easier to gain than the average person. In my experience anyways.

I've tried metformin and was sick every day. I toughed it out for 5 weeks thinking that my body would adjust. It didnt. I have to take progesterone just to have a cycle also. If I dont, I cycle 1-2 times per year. And I've done 6 months of fertility drugs with no luck. We're on a break right now and I'm just concentrating on losing weight. Baby steps, one day at a time.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I gots the PCOS too! It just means that you'll be a kick *kitten* athlete cuz of all that extra testosterone in your bod. ;) hehe. At least that's what I tell myself.
  • joellevh
    joellevh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have it as well. I'm done having children, but I take Metformin to help with my insulin and have taken 12 pounds off in a month!