Terrified of maintainence

I've been chugging along at my weight loss journey for 8 months now and have lost 40 or so pounds. I'm closing in on goal, and it just hit me... I'm terrified. I am so scared that once I finally hit my goal, my mindset will change, and I'll become complacent. I've been doing p90x and am a little over half way done. My gung-ho attitude about it is slowly fizzling out and my brain is doing this panic mode thing.."what if I start eating a bunch of crap and lose this motivation?" I'm really psyching myself out. It's like the dog chasing a car thing... Ive been so determined in chasing my goal, but once I get there, will I even know what to do with it? Anyone else feel like this??? HELP :-/

Replies

• It's so easy to start feeling like "okay, I got here... hard work is done and I can cheat" but it's really not! It spirals out of control if you're not careful!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    I felt the same way when I reached goal. Continue tracking your calories and exercise daily. That will keep you on track. There is a maintenance blog called Refuse to Regain.com whose "owner" is a physician specializing in obesity, weight loss, and maintenance. That blog, more than anything, has helped me keep the weight off for almost one year. Good luck! You can do this!
  • Stay on here. It'll keep you accountable for what you are eating. And if there is a trend of bad habits arising, you will be able to notice it and tackle it. You can do it!!! :) And go you for all your hard work :)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I guess I'll add that I don't really belong to a group of people with similar goals, I don't have many friends, my husband is indifferent about the whole thing, and I can't afford a gym membership... So I've had little resources as it is, had to pretty much go at this alone and really work hard to make it work. I feel like I might fail at keeping it up. I feel like it's all up to me to stay motivated. I just get worried I'm not cut out for it mentally.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    I encourage you to trust what you've learned over this journey. I'm just starting, but I have already learned so much about how I was eating and how I eat now. The unknown area of "how much did I eat today" has a solution. You keep logging even after you reach maintenance and learn what your maintenance diet should be. Learn what you need to do to fit in dinner out and richer foods. I'm honestly shocked with myself that I ate enough over my maintenance cals to gain the weight I did. I'm cutting out 1000 cals a day to lose 2lb a week and I've found it's enough food. I don't know what I'll do when I can eat a full maintenance diet. That seems like so much food now.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    remember...this is a lifestyle thing...after 8 months do you have a routine? the only change once you get to maintenance should be more calories right? thats a good thing...chill out a bit
  • Set another goal. Whether it be 5 more lbs or toning for more inches lost.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Set another goal. Whether it be 5 more lbs or toning for more inches lost.
    I agree, set a new goal. Maybe something related to fitness, run faster, something like that so maintenance will remain important
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Well done for reaching your goal! Maintenance is indeed a challenge in itself- I started doing it in December & was terrified I would put the weight back on, worried as much about staying within my goal as when I was trying to lose weight, logging everything and weighing myself every week.

I started feeling like it was getting a bit ridiculous so I decided to change my goals- now I am focusing more on strength training and building muscle, and not going to focus on the scale as much anymore. It feels great to be able to eat more and although I still log food, I don't worry so much if I have a day where I don't.

This group has also been really helpful on here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/169-maintenance
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    It's normal to feel that way. I was scared too when I hit my goal weight. Just continue to log every day and you'll be fine. I have been on maintenance for 6 months and have actually lost an additional 7 pounds eating what MFP estimates to be "maintenance" calories for me. There is a maintenance group on here that is very supportive.
  • rumsuck8
    rumsuck8 Posts: 59 Member
    Oh my gosh.....me too. I am soooo successful at the dieting, but why do I always end up back here, doing it again..Not this time. I am not there yet, have a way to go, but this time I intend to research and enter maintaining my weight with the same gusto i tackle losing the weight. Hope to be there by summertime.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member

I was just about to say this. I always have a short term goal, mid-term goal and long term goal.

Currently...

Short: Match my 'road time' in a trail run 1/2 marathon in April
    Mid: 1/2 Ironman in October
    Long (2013): either the Ironhorse classic (race the steam train from Durango to Silverton (Colorado) - 50 mile race from 6000 feet to 9,000 feet over two 11,000+ passes -- OR -- 10k swim in Horsetooth reservoir.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Thanks guys. You're right, as long as I keep logging I should be good to go. It's all about being accountable. I would like to get into running. My endurance has gotten pretty good with p90x and Jillian ripped in 30. I'm going to scour craigslist for a used jogging stroller and make that my new spring hobby. Too bad I can't add a little Xanax to my maintenance plan cause I think I just need to chill out about it (kidding...)
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    I agree, set a new goal. Maybe something related to fitness, run faster, something like that so maintenance will remain important

I agree with this. Even though I'm at my goal weight, I don't have what I consider an ideal body so I've made it a goal to build more muscle, and to try and lose another inch off of my waist.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Great time to assess what you have done and what other goals you have for the future. After all, its a never ending journey.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Just focus on being healthy! This shouldn't be about weight loss (although it always starts out that way) you need to change your focus to being healthy! Just like the others said... Set NEW goals!
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    I can totally relate to your issue .....its my greatest fear that this will be yet another failed attempt to become a healthy slim person.I see this as my last chance to succeed having spent most of my life so far forever yo-yo dieting.
    I have never known what it is to be a permanent healthy weight and was a fat child and started on my first diet at 14 years old.I am really hoping logging here will keep me on the straight and narrow for the rest of my life....or at least until I can do what is needed automatically without having to log.
    If this does fail then I will never try again as its been to hard to ever endure the failure again.Really hoping that I can learn moderation as that is the hardest part.