Daily Calorie Goal

Options
I am looking for advice for my daily calory goal. I, probably like most people, had my daily net caloric goal set at 1200. My body is telling me this is not enough. I feel hungry all the time. I am starting the Insanity program on Monday and I have increased my calorie goal to 1500. I have a desk job, however, I will be working out 6 days a week with Insanity. I also plan to go to the gym a few days a week in the evenings. With that being said, I have set my daily activity level to sedentary and set my workout goals to 6 days a week for 45 min each. I have been reading so much to research what may work best for me, but I have to tell you that it is quite exhausting. Everyone has their own opinion. I really am looking to find something that works for me. Any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure that many people are as sedentary as they think they are. If you're working full time, even sitting down most of the time, and keeping up with those adorable girls in your pic in your off-time, I wouldn't think you're really sedentary. :wink:

1350 to 1500 + most of my exercise calories was my happy place for weight loss. What works for you is going to require some trial and error. Don't be afraid to try eating more. If after a few weeks, it doesn't seem to be working, try something else.

Edit: Plus, you're only 7 pounds from your goal. You might not see weight drop much (and you shouldn't be trying for any more than a half pound a week), but take photos in a bikini or your underwear every few weeks and you'll see progress. I'm currently about 8# higher than my low weight in October, but I'm in smaller clothes. :smile:
  • cansmith80
    Options
    I'm not so sure that many people are as sedentary as they think they are. If you're working full time, even sitting down most of the time, and keeping up with those adorable girls in your pic in your off-time, I wouldn't think you're really sedentary. :wink:

1350 to 1500 + most of my exercise calories was my happy place for weight loss. What works for you is going to require some trial and error. Don't be afraid to try eating more. If after a few weeks, it doesn't seem to be working, try something else.

Edit: Plus, you're only 7 pounds from your goal. You might not see weight drop much (and you shouldn't be trying for any more than a half pound a week), but take photos in a bikini or your underwear every few weeks and you'll see progress. I'm currently about 8# higher than my low weight in October, but I'm in smaller clothes. :smile:

Thanks so much! I just read your blog on how you acheived your fitness goals! Inspirational! I appreciate your advice!
  • sunnydays33
    sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I tried the traditional MFP way for about 6 weeks with minimal results. Once I tried the 'Olivia Method', I have consistently lost 5-7 lbs a month. (I still have 30 to go, so your goals will be different) check out my profile, I have a link to the method.

Basically, I eat at my BMR everyday (about 1500) and only eat exercise calories back after I hit 700 calories burned...then I eat the difference. So, if I burn 900 cal, I eat back 200. It's a bit confusing at first, but once you get it, it's a great way to set your goals up. All these numbers will be different for you though, I just used mine as an example.

Feel free to msg me with any questions since we're already buddies. :-) hope this helps!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    MFP's BMR calculator isn't the most accurate. Use this formula to figure out your BMR. FEMALE: 655 + (4.3 × weight in pounds) + (4.7 × height in inches) − (4.7 × age in years). Multiply by 1.1 for an estimate of the calories you burn from normal daily activity. Then add on your exercise calories. For a loss of a pound a week eat 500 calories less than that a day.