Walking fast - occasional Jog

Options
Hiya I walk at 5 - 5.5 km per hour for about 30 mins a day and am slowly building up some running in there as well. Will this help me lose weight. I am watching my calories and eating back a small portion of the calories burnt. Karen x

Amended x

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It's way more about watching how much you eat but yes, it will help.
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Definitely, that is my primary exercise form.
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    if you are watching what you eat and have started exercising, when in the past you haven't it will for sure help.
    Good for you with such a fast pace. I am doing the C25K (Ease in to 5K) which is an app that basically helps you do what you are doing in a more structured way if you want to check it out.
    Good luck!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Wow. 5.5mph for me is running at a fairly good speed. I'm 5'9. Are you taller than that?
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring the speed you are walking 5 - 5.5 mph seems a bit too fast to me for walking. to answer your question though, yes walking will help you lose weight, it is all i have done to lose mine so far.

Rich
  • flibberdajibbitt
    flibberdajibbitt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3.5, run/jog at 5. Yikes!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yep!! I walk at 3.5 mph and usually for 60 mins. I consistently lose 2 pounds per week. Also have to watch your cals but yeah, you'll lose weight.
  • kk1964
    kk1964 Posts: 46
    Options
    Sorry Guys, meant to say 5 - 5.5 km ph not mile per hour.... I wish :)
  • kk1964
    Options
    Hiya, i meant 5km not 5mph...
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    A 5-5.5 is not a walk, no matter how you look at it. That's either a jog or a flat out run. For me personally it's a run. The treadmill I use at the gym even posts speeds for walk (2 mph), jog (4 mph) and run (6 mph). It's essentially impossible to "walk" at a 5-5.5. So don't sell yourself short, you're jogging/running and yes it will make you lose weight.
  • kk1964
    Options
    Thanks, I have amended my post as it i 5km ph not 5mph... blonde moment there,,,
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    5 km/hour=3.1 mph. Nice pace for a walk.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have amended my post as it i 5km ph not 5mph... blonde moment there,,,

That converts to roughly 3mph. Personally, I think it can be very helpful; it has been for me. I was never a very good runner, and am doing 45 to 60 minutes of walking on the treadmill, 5 days a week. Just go at a comfortable pace, and try to gradually increase it.
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I walk at 5 mph which is 8 kmh, yes it is faster than some people run - in fact I have passed joggers by walking at this pace. I can't run to save myself but can walk at this pace for 1-1hrs and get a good calorie burn.
  • laporter62
    laporter62 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i walk at 5-5.5 kph and jog at 7.0kph
    i am also doing the c25k, you should try it, it will help you learn to jog without going to far and injuring yourself
    have fun
  • kk1964
    Options
    thanks for the responses all x
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hiya I walk at 5 - 5.5 km per hour for about 30 mins a day and am slowly building up some running in there as well. Will this help me lose weight. I am watching my calories and eating back a small portion of the calories burnt. Karen x

Since that is really just a daily activity type thing, and not very long, that is exactly what can pull energy from fat reserves.
    Increasing the daily activity in that way can be great.

If you are NOT eating below your BMR, I'd skip eating those calories back.
    If you are eating below your BMR, eat them back to hopefully keep the metabolism from being suppressed.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Um it is quite possible to walk at that speed. When i started at 152kg i would walk at 4 kph and only manage 1km. I now quite often walk at 7kph so it is quite possible to ramp up the speed of walking without jogging and walking is a great way to lose weight
    A 5-5.5 is not a walk, no matter how you look at it. That's either a jog or a flat out run. For me personally it's a run. The treadmill I use at the gym even posts speeds for walk (2 mph), jog (4 mph) and run (6 mph). It's essentially impossible to "walk" at a 5-5.5. So don't sell yourself short, you're jogging/running and yes it will make you lose weight.